On April 20, 2010, the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded, killing 11 people and leaking millions of barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico. The first film about the incident, Lionsgate/Summit’s “Deepwater Horizon,” starring Mark Wahlberg, hits theaters this weekend. While there’s always a certain amount of Hollywood burnishing on any film based on a true story, it’s helpful to know what really happened — and how a piece of cement played such a crucial role in the tragedy. According to the U.S.
- AintItCool: Capone says DEEPWATER HORIZON is a textbook-perfect example of a modern disaster movie
- Denver Post: Review: Spectacle meets solemnity in “Deepwater Horizon”
- Hollywood Reporter: Lionsgate's Fraught Fall: 'Deepwater Horizon' and 12 Risky Releases Follow Studio Chief's Exit
- Hollywood Reporter: 'Deepwater Horizon': How the Sound Team Put Viewers on the Oil Rig
- Fandango Movie Blog: Watch This Incredible Interview with the Real Person Mark Wahlberg Plays in 'Deepwater Horizon'
- The Wrap: ‘Deepwater Horizon’ Is ‘Masterful’ With ‘Excellent Performances,’ and 9 Buoyant Reviews
- BoxOfficeMojo: Analysis: 'Miss Peregrine', 'Deepwater Horizon' and 'Masterminds' Close Out September
- MTV Movies Blog: Drill, Baby, Drill: Deepwater Horizon And The Rise Of The Docubuster
Note: This video and post will spoil certain aspects of the film Deepwater Horizon A few months after the catastrophic explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig -- an event that killed 11 people, led to the worst oil spill in U.S. history, and is now the basis for a new movie hitting theaters this week -- one of the survivors, Mike Williams (played by Mark Wahlberg in the film), sat down for an extensive interview with 60 Minutes, walking correspondent Scott Pelley through the events of...Read MoreRead Comments
- Badass Digest: DEEPWATER HORIZON Blows Stuff Up Real Good
- The A.V. Club: Random Roles: Ethan Suplee on Deepwater Horizon, Mallrats, and not knowing if he’s in the new Twin Peaks
- The A.V. Club: Movie Review: An industrial disaster turns workmanlike in Deepwater Horizon
- Hollywood Reporter: Box-Office Preview: Can 'Miss Peregrine's Home' Evict 'Deepwater Horizon,' 'Masterminds?'
- USA Today: 'Deepwater Horizon' shows human side of infamous BP oil spill
- USA Today: 'Deepwater Horizon' (finally!) brings Kurt Russell, Kate Hudson together
- Entertainment Weekly: Review: 'Deepwater Horizon': EW review
- Twitch: Review: DEEPWATER HORIZON, Heroes At the Mouth of Hell
In Deepwater Horizon (in theaters Friday September 30), Kurt Russell plays Jimmy Harrell, an offshore installation manager on the Deepwater Horizon. His life is instantly thrown into chaos when a massive explosion threatens the lives of everyone onboard a giant oil rig planted roughly 45 miles off the coast of Louisiana. That explosion lead to the worst oil spill in U.S. history, not to mention a lot of angry finger pointing at oil giant BP for the role it may have played in an...Read MoreRead Comments
“Deepwater Horizon” opens with Mike Williams (Mark Wahlberg) saying goodbye to his lovely wife (Kate Hudson) and daughter. Today, like many other days, finds Mike — a real-life Transocean chief electronics technician — out at sea, overseeing the oil rigs. All is well … until it is not. As day turns to night, the rig’s defense system collapses, erupting into flames. The result is an explosion that kills 11 people.
- IndieWire: TIFF 2016: Mark Wahlberg Debuts ‘Patriots Day’ Trailer to Toronto Audience at ‘Deepwater Horizon’ Event
- IndieWire: ‘Deepwater Horizon’ Review: A Major Tragedy Becomes a Minor Mark Wahlberg Disaster Movie — Toronto
- Variety: Anti-Oil Pipeline Demonstrators Protest Outside ‘Deepwater Horizon’ Premiere at Toronto
- Variety: Toronto Film Review: ‘Deepwater Horizon’
- The Wrap: Mark Wahlberg Now ‘Regrets’ Pardon Request for Teenage Assault Conviction
Jason Mitchell, who starred as late rapper Eazy-E in “Straight Outta Compton,” has joined the untitled drama about the 1967 Detroit riots directed by Kathryn Bigelow. The film is currently in production and also features John Boyega, Will Poulter, Jacob Latimore, Algee Smith, Ben O’Toole, Jack Reynor, Kaitlyn Dever and Hannah Murray. It doesn’t have a title yet, but it will cover the five-day riots that swept the Motor City in 1967 and explore issues of systemic racism in the city. Mark Boal wrote the script.
- Variety: ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Star Jason Mitchell Boards Kathryn Bigelow’s Detroit Riots Film
- Hollywood Reporter: 'Straight Outta Compton' Star Jason Mitchell Joins Kathryn Bigelow's Detroit Riot Drama (Exclusive)
- We Got This Covered: Straight Outta Compton Breakout Jason Mitchell Enlists For Kathryn Bigelow’s Detroit Riots Pic
Fathom Events is hosting Batman: The Killing Joke in theaters across the country. Now they’ve announced that a second night and two additional show times have been added because of popular demand.
- Comic Book Movie: BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE Gets A Second Screening Night
- Latino Review: 'BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE' Theatrical Presentation Gets A Second Night!
- Dark Horizons: "Batman" LEGO, Affleck & Trailer Updates
- IndieWire: ‘Batman v Superman’ Honest Trailer Pokes Fun At The Film That Didn’t Bring ‘Justice’ to Either Hero
- We Got This Covered: New Promo For The LEGO Batman Movie Brings The Dark Knight To Comic-Con
- We Got This Covered: New Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice Video Explores The Making Of That Epic Battle
- Cinema Blend: Batman V Superman's Ultimate Edition Honest Trailer Is Longer And Mostly Brutal
- Cinema Blend: The Big Question The Lego Batman Movie Wants To Answer About Batman
- AintItCool: Is Batman Joining Superman On The CW This Season??
- Badass Digest: Rumor: Ben Affleck’s BATMAN Movie Will Take Place In Arkham Asylum
- Comic Book Movie: Hilarious Honest Trailer For BATMAN v SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE Pits Fans Against The Critics
- HitFix: The ‘Batman v Superman’ Honest Trailer is here and it’s gloriously brutal
- Comic Book Movie: The Caped Crusader Promises To Take Over Comic-Con In New THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE Promo
- JoBlo: Telltale's Batman video game series gets a first look trailer
- ScreenRant: Rumor Patrol: Batman Solo Movie Set in Arkham Asylum
- Entertainment Weekly: 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' gets the Honest Trailers treatment
- ScreenRant: Honest Trailers: Batman V Superman V Critics
- MovieWeb: Affleck's Batman Movie Locks Bruce Wayne in Arkham Asylum?
- SlashFilm: ‘Batman v Superman’ Honest Trailer: “What the Hell Is Even Happening Here?”
- Screen Crush: Ben Affleck's Solo Batman Movie Rumored to Be Set in Arkham Asylum
Universal's next big franchise play is to reboot its series of classic movie monsters. The Universal folks are not pulling any punches, either. They're going all out for this hopeful cinematic universe by hiring some of the best big name actors around. It's all going to start with The Mummy starring Tom Cruise (though the actual mummy will be Sofia Boutella), and then after that they've got plans to introduce Johnny Depp's Invisible Man, Russell Crowe's Dr. Jekyll,...Read MoreRead Comments
- The Wrap: Javier Bardem in Talks to Play Frankenstein in Universal’s Monster Universe
- ScreenRant: Javier Bardem May Play Frankenstein in Universal’s Monster Universe
- Horror-Movies.ca: Javier Bardem Could Be in Talks to Play Universal’s ‘Frankenstein’
- SlashFilm: Javier Bardem is the New Frankenstein in Universal’s Monsters Universe
- Bleeding Cool: Javier Bardem Reportedly In Line To Play Frankenstein
- Entertainment Weekly: Javier Bardem eyeing Frankenstein role in Universal's monster universe
- Screen Crush: Javier Bardem in Talks For 'Frankenstein' in Universal's New Monsters Universe
- Latino Review: Javier Bardem In Talks To Star In The New 'FRANKENSTEIN' Film
- JoBlo: Javier Bardem in talks to become Frankenstein for Universal's Monster-verse
- Comic Book Movie: Javier Bardem In Talks To Star As FRANKENSTEIN In Universal's Monsters Universe
- MovieWeb: Javier Bardem Wanted as Frankenstein in Universal's Monsters Universe
- The Wrap: Why Is Universal’s Monster Universe Being Built Around 50-Somethings?
Sometimes, the messages in children’s movies can be a little heavy-handed. But that’s not the case with The Secret Life of Pets. Instead, this movie goes for laughs over lessons and steers clear of the “teachable moment.” The story follows “tiny dog” Max, who is the one and only pet of Katie, the owner he adores. When she brings home “a brother” for him – an enormous dog named Duke – Max tries to figure out a way to get rid of him....Read MoreRead Comments
- Variety: Box Office: ‘Secret Life of Pets’ Debuts to Massive $103.2 Million
- Coming Soon: The Secret Life of Pets Opens to a Big $103.2 Million
- Variety: Will ‘Secret Life of Pets’ Make Chris Meledandri a Household Name?
- Cinema Blend: Weekend Box Office: Secret Life of Pets Scratches Out Massive Opening, Finding Dory Tops Marvel
- IGN Movies: The Secret Life of Pets Opens Bigger Than Inside Out
- IndieWire: Top 10 Box Office Takeaways: Animation Rules as ‘The Secret Life of Pets’ Soars to Record Heights
- Hollywood Reporter: Box Office: 'Secret Life of Pets' Bites Off Huge $103.2M Opening
- The Wrap: ‘The Secret Life of Pets’ Barrels Toward Big Opening With $38.3 Million on Friday
- ScreenRant: The Secret Life of Pets Scores $38 Million at Friday Box Office
- The Wrap: ‘The Secret Life of Pets’ Shatters Expectations With Massive $103.2 Million Opening
- Entertainment Weekly: 'Secret Life of Pets' director breaks down that insane 'Grease' scene
- Bleeding Cool: Secret Life Of Pets Soaring At Box Office
- Screen Crush: Weekend Box Office Report: 'The Secret Life of Pets' Dethrones 'Finding Dory' With a Huge Opening
- Entertainment Weekly: Box office: 'Secret Life of Pets' roars past $100 million
- The Wrap: Why ‘Secret Life of Pets’ Spells Good News for Original Ideas in Hollywood
- MovieWeb: Secret Life of Pets Wins the Box Office with $103.1M
- Latino Review: Record-Breaking Opening At The Box Office for 'THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS'
- USA Today: 'Pets' upends 'Dory,' rules the box office with $103.2 million
- BoxOfficeMojo: Analysis: Illumination's 'Pets' Opens with Massive $103M as Pixar's 'Dory' Tops 2016 Domestic Releases
One of the problems that some people had with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was the fact that Batman seemed to be a little too eager and willing to kill people without hesitation. The Dark Knight is known for showing restraint when it comes to dealing with criminals, almost always choosing to let the law deal with them instead of flat-out taking their lives. However, in Batman v Superman, the more grizzled, reckless take on the Caped Crusader just didn’t seem to care. Now a new video runs through the Batman kill count from Batman v Superman.
- We Got This Covered: 10 Things You Need To See In Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’s Ultimate Edition
- ScreenRant: Batman V Superman Video: How Many People Does the Dark Knight Kill?
- Comic Book Movie: BATMAN v SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE Behind The Scenes Photo Offers Up A New Look At The Trinity
- MovieWeb: Here's How Many People Batman Killed in Batman v Superman
- The Wrap: ‘Batman v Superman': Full Count of How Many People Ben Affleck’s Batman Killed (Video)
- Comic Book Movie: The Dark Knight's BATMAN V SUPERMAN Kill Count
- We Got This Covered: Batman V Superman: BTS Image Offers Up An Action Shot Of DC Trinity
- Dark Horizons: Ben Affleck Is The Most Deadly Batman
- Bleeding Cool: Batman’s Body Count From BvS
Many predicted massive success for Pixar's latest film, FINDING DORY, but few predicted the film would do as well as it's been doing. For the third weekend in a row, the animated flick finds itself at the top of both the worldwide and domestic box office. As of this writing, the film is just short of $550 million worldwide. In addition, the movie has grossed over $380 domestically, making the second highest domestic film in Pixar's history, behind only TOY STORY 3, which I expect it will surpass before its theatrical run is up.
- Entertainment Weekly: Fourth of July box office: 'Finding Dory,' 'Tarzan' neck-and-neck
- Hollywood Reporter: China Box Office: 'TMNT 2' Tops Weekend With $25.2M
- Entertainment Weekly: Weekend box office: Legend of Tarzan takes $38.5 million at No. 2
- JoBlo: Weekend Box Office Report: July 1-3, 2016
- ScreenRant: Weekend Box Office Wrap-up: July 3, 2016
- Variety: China Box Office: ‘Turtles’ Beats ‘Bounty Hunters’
- Variety: Korea Box Office: ‘Familyhood’ Debuts Strongly, ‘Tarzan’ Lands in Second
- Variety: Hollywood Scores as First Half Hong Kong Box Office Edges Higher
- Variety: China Box Office Growth Poised For First Half Slowdown
- USA Today: 'Dory' three-peats at No. 1 with $50.2M for four-day weekend
- Cinema Blend: 4 Lessons From Finding Dory Pixar Should Learn For Future Sequels
- Hollywood Reporter: U.K. Box Office: 'Ab Fab' Movie Off to Ab Fab Start
- Filmonic: Box Office: July Preview – Busting Bourne Pets Beyond Tarzan
- BoxOfficeMojo: Analysis: 'Dory' Threepeats Over Holiday Weekend; 'Tarzan' and 'Purge 3' Open Well Above Expectations