Last month, we reported that actor Joaquin Phoenix was in negotiations with Marvel Studios to play the title role in Doctor Strange, with a new report emerging this week that the actor is close to finalizing his deal.
Contrary to recent reports, many just can't see Joaquin Phoenix - who apparently passed on the Lex Luthor role in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - starring in Doctor Strange for Marvel Studios. He first became what sounded like a frontrunner for the Scott Derrickson helmed movie during Comic-Con, and it appeared as if he would be announced at the event just like Mark Ruffalo was for The Avengers a few years ago. That obviously didn't happen, but according to Badass Digest (via IGN), that was the plan!
- Total Film: Rumour: Joaquin Phoenix back on to play Doctor Strange?
- HitFix: Report: Joaquin Phoenix in 'final talks' for 'Doctor Strange'
- Movies With Butter: What's Popping: 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' 'Doctor Strange,' 'Underworld,' 'Blade Runner 2,' 'Inferno'
- IGN Movies: Why Can't Marvel Seal Joaquin's Dr. Strange Deal?
Marvel is reportedly close to finalizing a deal with Joaquin Phoenix to play Doctor Strange, according to a new report from Collider.We reported just over a month ago that Joaquin Phoenix had entered negotiations to play Doctor Steven Strange, but the fact that his deal still hasn't been finalized lead to a number of other casting rumors, including this week's report that Jack Huston is in contention for the coveted role.
- We Got This Covered: Joaquin Phoenix Is Now In Final Negotiations For Doctor Strange
- The Playlist: Joaquin Phoenix Reportedly In Final Talks For Marvel's 'Doctor Strange'
- Comic Book Movie: Joaquin Phoenix Now Said To Be In "Final Talks" To Play DOCTOR STRANGE
- ScreenRant: Joaquin Phoenix In Final Negotiations To Play ‘Doctor Strange’
- JoBlo: Joaquin Phoenix is now in final negotiations to play Doctor Strange
- Movies With Butter: Joaquin Phoenix Reportedly in "Final Talks" for 'Doctor Strange'
- Badass Digest: Joaquin Phoenix Still In The Mix For DOCTOR STRANGE… But For How Long?
- Entertainment Weekly: Is Joaquin Phoenix the prescription for Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’?
- Cinema Blend: Marvel Getting Extremely Close To Signing Joaquin Phoenix As Doctor Strange
- Dark Horizons: Phoenix Almost Set For "Doctor Strange"?
- Moviefone: Who Is Doctor Strange? A Look at Marvel's Next Movie Superhero
And Jeremy Renner thinks Hawkeye might show up in Captain America 3We’re in that fuzzy, transitional period where a film moves from the vapourware status to reality in the evolution of Marvel’s Doctor Strange. With Scott Derrickson confirmed to direct, the casting rumours for the title character have been flying thick and fast, landing on various known quantities such as Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy, Jared Leto and, during Comic-Con, Joaquin Phoenix, who was reportedly in early talks. The latest name to add to the list?
- Dark Horizons: Jack Huston Rumored For "Doctor Strange"
- ScreenRant: ‘Doctor Strange’ Rumor: Jack Huston in Running to Star
- MovieWeb: 'Doctor Strange' Wants 'Boardwalk Empire' Star Jack Huston?
- JoBlo: Jack Huston may be in the running to play Doctor Strange
- SlashFilm: Rumor: Jack Huston Up for Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’
- Screen Crush: 'Doctor Strange' Adds 'Boardwalk Empire' Star Jack Huston to the List of Possible Leads
"The funny thing about the internet is you can have rumors go on about possible jobs, and possible things that you have no idea," Jon Hamm told Digital Spy when they asked about rumors that he was in contention to play Stephen Strange. "Maybe, I don't know. It's funny when the internet knows more about you than you do, but maybe they've been talking to someone at Marvel. I certainly wasn't approached about it, but I do like Dr. Strange.
Never say never. After four films in the world of "Harry Potter," David Yates seemed to have moved on. He's now directing "Tarzan," and was involved in the early stages of the FX series "Tyrant." But it appears J.K.
- We Got This Covered: David Yates Will Helm Harry Potter Spinoff Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
- Moviefone: 'Harry Potter' Director David Yates May Work His Magic on 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'
- Comic Book Movie: David Yates To Helm HARRY POTTER Spin-Off FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM
- SlashFilm: ‘Harry Potter’ Spinoff ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Director Revealed: David Yates
- ScreenRant: ‘Harry Potter’ Spin-Off ‘Fantastic Beasts’ May Be Directed By David Yates
- FirstShowing.net: 'Harry Potter' Director David Yates Back for 'Fantastic Beasts' Spin-Off
- Screen Crush: 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' Finds a 'Harry Potter' Director
If the struggle for gay marriage has taught us anything, it's that love is patient, love is kind, but same-sex love is a fount of bureaucratic nightmares. Add the barricade-like prices of the Manhattan rental market and the hopeless labyrinth of government housing assistance, and you've got the perfect recipe for an apoplectic fit. Rage is sublimated into despondency in “Love is Strange,” a practical-minded tale of love in limbo.
- Hollywood Reporter: 'Love Is Strange': John Lithgow, Marisa Tomei Celebrate Closeness in NYC
- Moviefone: Watch Live! John Lithgow and Marissa Tomei on Their New Movie 'Love Is Strange'
- Comic Book Movie: Alfred Molina Would Play SPIDER-MAN Villain 'Doctor Octopus' Again "In A Heartbeat"
- We Got This Covered: Marvel’s Doctor Strange Film Won’t Be An Origin Story
- Vulture: Ira Sachs’s Love Is Strange Attains a Strange State of Grace
- Dark Horizons: Alfred Molina Happy To Return As Doc Ock
- SlashFilm: Scott Derrickson’s ‘Doctor Strange’ Won’t Be An Origin Story
- Screen Crush: Report: 'Doctor Strange' Scrapping the Standard "Origin Story" Treatment
Many expected Marvel to make a big announcement involving DOCTOR STRANGE at this year's SDCC, but unfortunately it just didn't happen. In fact, besides casting rumors like this one, there hasn't been a lot of news about the project since it was announced Scott Derrickson will be directing the film from a script by Jon Spaihts. Devin Faraci from Badass Digest recently appeared on Meet... Read More...
- Dark Horizons: "Doctor Strange" Won't Be An Origin Story
- Comic Book Movie: Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Movie Will Not Be An Origin Story
- Digital Spy: Could Marvel ditch origin films from Doctor Strange onwards?