Steven Spielberg Puts 'Robopocalypse' on Hold

Robopocalypse

If you're waiting for Steven Spielberg's Robopocalypse to arrive next year, there's some bad news. It won't be coming.

The movie, scheduled for a April 25, 2014 release, has been put on hold "indefinitely," The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Robopocalypse was supposed to be Spielberg's next movie after Lincoln, but the brakes were applied due to an unpolished script and budgetary concerns, according to Spielberg's spokesman Marvin Levy.

The real reason behind this may be something different because Spielberg will have no trouble finding someone to finance his films since he is one of Hollywood's most bankable directors. Deadline heard Spielberg just wanted more time to work on Robopocalypse and not rush things.

Anne Hathaway and Chris Hemsworth were attached to star but now, they'll be free to pursue other projects. Since we won't know how long "indefinitely" is, the two may not be in the picture, so to speak, when Spielberg is ready to roll on the movie.

As for Spielberg, he may move on to Warner Bros' biblical tale Gods and Kings, a gritty take on the story of Moses, or he may do a smaller movie. Spielberg is not someone without choices.

To be clear, the movie is not dead. Spielberg just wants more time to work on a new script.

"We found that the film was costing a lot of money and I found a better way to tell the story more economically but also much more personally. I found the personal way into Robopocalypse, and so I just told everybody to go find other jobs, I’m starting on a new script and we'll have this movie back on its feet soon," Spielberg told EW.

Robopocalypse is an adaptation of Daniel H. Wilson's novel of the same name and is about what happens to the human race after a robot uprising. DreamWorks acquired the rights to Wilson's novel in 2009.

Binh Ngo's Latest Blog Entries:

Warner Bros. unveiled its superhero movies earlier this week and as expected, they will be centered on Justice League and its main members. We talk about that...
In a shareholders meeting early this week, Warner Bros. has revealed its slate of tentpoles in the coming years, and, as expected, it's heavy on superhero...
We thought Marvel had got their Sorcerer Supreme when Joaquin Phoenix entered "final talks" for the role back in August, but those talks are "dead dead dead,"...
According to TheWrap, Javier Bardem is in "early talks" to play one of the bad guys in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. He would play Captain...
The third Ghostbusters won't be a sequel, but a complete reboot led by a female cast. We discuss that and more on this week's Download.

More Robopocalypse News

Comments