J.J. Abrams Won't Direct 'Star Trek 3'

J.J. Abrams

J.J. Abrams is credited with rejuvenating the Star Trek franchise with his 2009 reboot, but when he was hired to direct Star Wars: Episide VII, we suspected that Star Trek Into Darkness might be his final movie as director in the Trek franchise. That may or may not be the case, but it's looking increasing likely that he won't be directing Star Trek 3. In fact, it's almost a certainty.

In a New York Times article, Abrams said Bad Robot, his production company, would produce the next Star Trek movie, but he admitted that Paramount would not wait another four years between them. Since work on Episode VII would be occurring during that time frame, he wouldn't be able to direct Star Trek 3 unless it was by way of some miracle.

According to a tweet by TrekMovie.com (via Bleedingcool), Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman said Paramount wants Star Trek 3 out in 2016 for the franchise's 50th anniversary so that means Abrams is out. Of course, this doesn't mean he couldn't return to direct a future installment.

Star Trek's lost is Star Wars' gain, however. With Abrams on board, we can finally have a worthy Star Wars sequel without George Lucas mucking things up. If you liked what Abrams had done for Star Trek, you ought to be thrilled by what he can bring to Star Wars.

As for what will be in Star Trek 3, HeyUGuys was able to get Damon Lindelof to give us a teaser.

"You can never see enough Klingons, and I think in this film [Star Trek Into Darkness] we've given the audience a little taste, but there's also a promise that there's a larger conflict on the horizon, and that would be fun to see," Lindelof said.

Star Trek Into Darkness will be in theaters on May 17.

Binh Ngo's Latest Blog Entries:

Warner Bros. unveiled its superhero movies earlier this week and as expected, they will be centered on Justice League and its main members. We talk about that...
In a shareholders meeting early this week, Warner Bros. has revealed its slate of tentpoles in the coming years, and, as expected, it's heavy on superhero...
We thought Marvel had got their Sorcerer Supreme when Joaquin Phoenix entered "final talks" for the role back in August, but those talks are "dead dead dead,"...
According to TheWrap, Javier Bardem is in "early talks" to play one of the bad guys in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. He would play Captain...
The third Ghostbusters won't be a sequel, but a complete reboot led by a female cast. We discuss that and more on this week's Download.

Star Trek Into Darkness Photo Gallery

More Star Trek Into Darkness News

Comments