Top Movie News for August 22, 2014
Now that you've seen it, what did you think? "Sin City's where you go in with your eyes open, or you don't come out at all." Now playing in theaters is the long-awaited sequel adapting the Frank Miller graphic novel series Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, co-directed by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, with one heck of an ensemble cast. From Mickey Rourke to Josh Brolin, Jessica Alba to Joseph Gordon-Levitt, with Eva Green and Rosario Dawson, Ray Liotta, Dennis Haysbert, Christopher Meloni, Jeremy Piven, Christopher Lloyd and Powers Boothe as Roark. Was it worth the wait all this time?
- AintItCool: Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For!
- Thompson on Hollywood: How Joseph Gordon-Levitt Blew Up Frank Miller & Robert Rodriguez's Return to Sin City, 'A Dame to Kill For'
- FirstShowing.net: Review: Rodriguez & Miller's 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Slums It
- Badass Digest: Movie Review: People Die In SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - They Are The Lucky Ones
- Mania: Mania Review: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
- Hollywood Reporter: 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' to Close Deauville Film Festival
- Hollywood Reporter: 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For': What the Critics Are Saying
- Hollywood Reporter: In Theaters This Weekend: Reviews of 'If I Stay,' 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' and More
- Vulture: The Ugly Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Is the Best-Looking Revenge Porn Imaginable
- Dread Central: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Review Now Live
- Comic Book Movie: FREE DRAWING: Win A SIN CITY 2: A DAME TO KILL FOR Prize Bundle
- Comic Book Movie: EXCLUSIVE: Haysbert Talks SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR, Comics, Villains and More!
- Twitch: Review: SIN CITY 2: A DAME TO KILL FOR, Where Broken Dreams Go To Die
- Comic Book Movie: SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR – Will The Sequel Have You Seeing Red?
- Comic Book Movie: BOX OFFICE: SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR Kicks Off Run With Only $475,000
- The Wrap: ‘Sin City: A Dame to Kill For’ Reviews: Was This Sequel Worth the Wait or 9 Years Too Late?
- Comic Book Movie: Lady Gaga Gets Her Own SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR Character Poster
- Film School Rejects: The Doc Option: Watch ‘The Killing of America’ Instead of ‘Sin City: A Dame to Kill For’
- JoBlo: What did you think of...Sin City: A Dame To Kill For?
- Denver Post: "Sin City": The wounded and corrupt do a dance macabre
- Hollywood Reporter: Box Office: 'If I Stay' Earns Strong $1.1 Million Thursday Night; 'Sin City 2' Starts Soft
- Moviefone: Eva Green Facts: 27 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About the 'Sin City' Star
- Vulture: These Are the 25 Most Gorgeous Moments From the Sin City Comics
- Deadline: Box Office Late Nights: ‘If I Stay’ A Strong $1.1M; ‘Sin City’ Underwhelms
- MovieWeb: 'Sin City 2' TV Spot Features Stacy Keach as Wallenquist
- IGN Movies: Win a PS4 and action Blu-ray bundle with Sin City 2
- Bleeding Cool: “Why, In My Country, Do People Go Into Schools And Kill Children?” – Frank Grillo On Playing Crossbones In Captain America; The Winter Soldier
- MovieWeb: BOX OFFICE PREDICTIONS: Can 'Sin City 2' Hold Back 'Ninja Turtles'?
Those who attended midnight screenings of Sin City: A Dame to Kill For last night were among the first to see the teaser trailer for Quentin Tarantino's new Western The Hateful Eight. Following a description of the trailer earlier this week, the full video has leaked online, which you can take a look at below.Last month, we reported that Quentin Tarantino plans on using his cast from the live reading of the script earlier this year, which includes Bruce Dern (The Confederate), Samuel L.
- USA Today: Tarantino's 'Hateful Eight' trailer leaks online
- Dark Horizons: Tarantino's "Hateful Eight" Trailer Leaks
- Cinema Blend: Tarantino's Hateful Eight May Star Jennifer Lawrence
- Digital Spy: Jennifer Lawrence rumoured for Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight
- Vulture: Quentin Tarantino’s Hateful Eight Teaser Leaks
- Moviefone: Check Out This Leaked Teaser for Quentin Tarantino's 'Hateful Eight'
- The Playlist: Rumor: Jennifer Lawrence In Talks For Quentin Tarantino's 'The Hateful Eight'
- MovieWeb: Jennifer Lawrence May Join Tarantino's 'Hateful Eight'
- The Wrap: Tarantino's ‘Hateful 8' Teaser Basically Just Lists Names of His Characters, Is Still Cool
- Entertainment Weekly: Catch a stolen glance at Quentin Tarantino’s ‘The Hateful Eight’ teaser
- ScreenRant: Jennifer Lawrence in Talks for Tarantino’s ‘Hateful Eight’
- Total Film: Jennifer Lawrence in talks to join The Hateful Eight
Earlier this summer, a report surfaced saying Drive director Nicolas Winding Refn was in early talks to direct The Bringing, a spec script by Brandon & Phillip Murphy. The film was inspired by the mysterious tale of a young woman named Elisa Lam, who can be seen in a security video on an elevator in the Cecil Hotel in LA acting strangely before she disappeared and was found dead in one of the roof's water tanks two weeks later. However, when Refn revealed a month later that his next film would be his own I Walk with the Dead, we were skeptical he closed a deal for The Bringing.
- Badass Digest: Jeremy Lovering Replaces Nicolas Winding Refn For Movie About That Scary Elevator Lady
- SlashFilm: Former Nicolas Winding Refn Project ‘The Bringing’ Gets a New Director
- AintItCool: IN FEAR Director Jeremy Lovering Boards THE BRINGING!
- We Got This Covered: Jeremy Lovering Will Direct The Bringing
- Empire Magazine: Jeremy Lovering Prepares For The Bringing
- Shock Till You Drop: Refn Not Doing The Bringing, In Fear Director Courted for Project
- Dark Horizons: "In Fear" Helmer Takes On "The Bringing"
- Cinema Blend: Ted 2 Is Bringing Back A Key Supporting Player
- JoBlo: In Fear director in talks with Sony to helm horror flick The Bringing
With the original 1979 classic The Amityville Horror celebrating its 35th anniversary this year, it's a perfect time to check out the new trailer for Amityville: The Awakening, which will be the 12th installment in the long-running franchise, including several straight-to-video titles.Jennifer Jason Leigh stars as a single mother who moves her three children (Bella Thorne, Cameron Monaghan and Taylor Spreitler) into the infamous house at 112 Ocean Ave., without knowing any of the history beforehand.
- Horror-Movies.ca: First Look at Amityville: The Awakening
- Dark Horizons: New Trailer: "Amityville: The Awakening"
- Shock Till You Drop: Check Out the First Trailer for Amityville: The Awakening!
- Dread Central: Amityville: The Awakening! See the Trailer NOW!
- We Got This Covered: Discover Real Evil In First Trailer For Amityville: The Awakening
- Moviefone: The 'Amityville: The Awakening' Trailer Will Keep You Up at Night (VIDEO)
- Coming Soon: Watch the Trailer for Amityville: The Awakening
- The Playlist: Watch: Get Haunted With Trailer For 'Amityville: The Awakening'
- Screen Crush: 'Amityville' Trailer: Cinema's Most Famous Haunted House Awakens…Again
Disney and Lucasfilm are working to create a new Star Wars trilogy, a few stand-alone films, a new animated television series following the origins of the Rebellion, plus books, games and even theme park attractions. And from what we’ve heard, the plan is for all of them to interconnect and cross over among one another in ways we’ve never seen in the history of storytelling.
- MovieWeb: 'Star Wars 7' Will Redefine Long-Form Storytelling
- Dark Horizons: New "Star Wars" To Redefine Storytelling?
- Comic Book Movie: STAR WARS Movies Rumored To "Redefine Longform Storytelling" By Connecting Everything
- Cinema Blend: Star Wars To Showcase Concept Art During Upcoming Concert
- Badass Digest: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love STAR WARS Again
- Screen Crush: WookieeLeaks: 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ Rumors Tease New Villains and Old Heroes
- Coming Soon: The Star Wars News Roundup - 8.22.14
- SlashFilm: Watch Zeb Bash Stormtroopers in ‘Star Wars Rebels’ Short Film Footage
- Comic Book Movie: 'Zeb' Takes Out Some Stormtroopers In New STAR WARS REBELS Clip
- SlashFilm: Star Wars Bits: Are All of the Episode 7 Rumors Fake? Plus Gareth Edwards, Harrison Ford, and Asajj Ventress
Rust Cohle: This place is like somebody's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. It's like there was never anything here but jungle. Martin Hart: Stop saying shit like that. It's unprofessional. Throughout the first season of "True Detective," Matthew McConaughey's Rust Cohle articulated his view that the world around him was not worth saving. While it had its dose of humor thanks to a tremendously underrated turn by Woody Harrelson as Rust's partner and foil, the mystery at the heart of the series only went deeper and darker across its eight episodes.
- Dark Horizons: "True Detective" To Be Lighter Next Season
- We Got This Covered: True Detective Season 2 Scripts “Better Than Last Season” And “Not As Dark”
- JoBlo: Season 2 of HBO's True Detective won't be as dark as the first
- ScreenRant: SR Geek Picks: ‘Breaking Bad’ and ‘True Detective’ Mash-Up, Wolverine Weightlifting & More
- Variety: HBO Exec Defends Scenes of Sex and Violence in ‘Game of Thrones’
- Dark Horizons: HBO Chief Defends "Thrones" Sex & Violence
- The Playlist: HBO Says They Are Not "Going To Play Police" With Sex And Violence On 'Game Of Thrones'
- SlashFilm: HBO’s First ‘Girls’ Season 4 Teaser Sets Hannah Up for a Fall
A TV series based on Steven Spielberg's "Minority Report" is in development.http://www.hitfix.com
- Empire Magazine: Steven Spielberg Plans Minority Report TV Series
- Digital Spy: Minority Report TV show in the works with Steven Spielberg
- We Got This Covered: Amblin TV Developing Minority Report Series
- Moviefone: Get Ready for a 'Minority Report' TV Show, Brought to You by Steven Spielberg
- MovieWeb: Steven Spielberg Planning 'Minority Report' TV Show
- The Playlist: TV Shows Based On 'Minority Report' And 'The Devil's Advocate' In The Works
Warner Bros. Mia (Chloe Grace Moretz) is an outcast in her own family. We know this because she tells us via narration, but also because while her parents and younger brother like rock music her preferred jams are of the classical variety. It’s enough to make you think she was switched at the hospital after birth isn’t it? She’s seventeen and in love with Adam (Jamie Blackley), the lead singer of a local band that will change your life — they’re opening for The Shins!
- Denver Post: "If I Stay": Teen is stranded between life and death in pedestrian
- Hollywood Reporter: 'If I Stay': What the Critics Are Saying
- Moviefone: 'If I Stay' Review: 10 Things You Need to Know About the Weepy Romance
- Vulture: If I Stay Won’t Give You All the Feels
- Shockya: Tons of Stills from If I Stay Released, Film Now in Theaters
- JoBlo: Review: If I Stay
Earlier this month, Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow revealed that production has wrapped on this new adventure, which takes place 22 years after Jurassic Park. While there have been plenty of rumors regarding the story, which the filmmaker has confirmed is set on the original Jurassic Park location, Isla Nublar, star Vincent D'Onofrio revealed in a new interview that none of the rumored plot details are true."You know, I've seen a lot of the stories out there. None of them really have it. You have no idea what's in store.
- Cinema Blend: Jurassic World Co-Star Vincent D'Onofrio Says Fans Don't Have The Real Story Yet
- JoBlo: Vincent D'Onofrio says no one's right regarding the story for Jurassic World
- JoBlo: Vincent D'Onofrio says no one's right regarding the Jurassic World story
- ScreenRant: ‘Jurassic World’: Vincent D’Onofrio Teases ‘Different’ Plot & ‘Iconic’ Scenes
- Dark Horizons: D'Onofrio Says "Jurassic World" Will Surprise You
- SlashFilm: Page 2: Walking Dead, TMNT, Jurassic World, Voltron, Star Wars, Scorsese, Akira, Miyazaki, Toy Story
Shailene Woodley loses Eva GreenLately we have become accustomed to seeing Eva Green in femme fatale mode, so it's jarring to find her in Gregg Araki's White Bird In A Blizzard playing the perfect homemaker. Except, of course, that's not what she is at all, and there are secrets and mysteries simmering beneath that domestic surface. See if you can guess at them in the latest trailer.As you'll just have seen, Shailene Woodley stars as Kat Connors, a 17 year-old whose mother, Eve (Green) disappears. With her own stuff going on, Kat doesn't initially much register her mum's absence.
- AintItCool: Trailer for Greg Araki's WHITE BIRD IN A BLIZZARD, Starring Shailene Woodley and Eva Green!
- Digital Spy: Shailene Woodley and Eva Green in White Bird in a Blizzard trailer
- We Got This Covered: Sex And Lies In Eerie Trailer For White Bird In A Blizzard, Starrng Shailene Woodley And Eva Green
- The Playlist: Watch: New Trailer For Gregg Araki's 'White Bird In A Blizzard' Starring Shailene Woodley, Eva Green And More
- The Wrap: Shailene Woodley Loses More Than Her Mother in Haunting ‘White Bird in a Blizzard’ Trailer (Video)
The summer movie season is just about wrapped up now, which means it’s time to look ahead to the prestige dramas of fall and winter. One of the most intriguing titles coming our way in the next few months is Selma, about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.‘s fight to pass the Voting Rights Act of 1965. David Oyelowo plays the civil rights icon, with a huge supporting cast that includes Carmen Ejogo (as Coretta Scott King), Tom Wilkinson (as President Lyndon B. Johnson), Tim Roth, Giovanni Ribisi, Cuba Gooding Jr., Common, Wendell Pierce, Lorraine Toussaint, and many more.
- MovieWeb: First Look at David Oyelowo as Martin Luther King Jr. in 'Selma'
- The Playlist: First Look: David Oyelowo As Martin Luther King Jr. In Oscar Contender 'Selma'
- The Wrap: David Oyelowo is Martin Luther King, Jr. in First ‘Selma’ Pics (Photos)
- Entertainment Weekly: ‘Selma’ first look: David Oyelowo takes on Martin Luther King in upcoming film
- FirstShowing.net: First Look at Ava DuVernay's 'Selma' Starring David Oyelowo as MLK
The legendary actor talks to us about acting as husband to his longtime friend Alfred Molina in "Love is Strange."http://www.hitfix.com
- IndieWire: The Indiewire Springboard: How 16-Year-Old 'Love Is Strange' Standout Charlie Tahan Stays Grounded
- IndieWire: Indie Box Office Preview: Can 'Love Is Strange' Find a Late Summer Romance With Filmgoers?
- Moviefone: Alfred Molina Wants You to See These Movies That Are Out Right Now
- Screen Crush: 'Love Is Strange,' the Most Unexpected and Important Gay Film of the Year
- The Wrap: MPAA's R-Rating for Gay Drama ‘Love is Strange’ Draws More Accusations of Homophobia
Jake Gyllenhaal is an L.A. freelance crime journalist with a taste for blood, ready to do whatever it takes for the ultimate story in the thriller Nightcrawler. A young man looking for a job stumbles upon the underground world of Los Angeles freelance crime journalism. When ever something bad happens, he is there as soon […] Read Jake Gyllenhaal Wants All of It in the 2nd Trailer for Nightcrawler on Filmonic.
- Digital Spy: Jake Gyllenhaal goes too far in new Nightcrawler trailer
- The Playlist: Watch: Jake Gyllenhaal Gets Desperate & Obsessive In The New Full Trailer For ‘Nightcrawler’
- Total Film: Jake Gyllenhaal goes off the rails in new Nightcrawler trailer: watch now
- HitFix: New 'Nightcrawler' trailer sets up the murky ethics of the Jake Gyllenhaal thriller
- JoBlo: New trailer for Nightcrawler showcases the dark side of television news
"The funny thing about the internet is you can have rumors go on about possible jobs, and possible things that you have no idea," Jon Hamm told Digital Spy when they asked about rumors that he was in contention to play Stephen Strange. "Maybe, I don't know. It's funny when the internet knows more about you than you do, but maybe they've been talking to someone at Marvel. I certainly wasn't approached about it, but I do like Dr. Strange.
- Digital Spy: What does Jon Hamm have to say about those Doctor Strange rumours?
- Dark Horizons: Jon Hamm Denies "Doctor Strange" Talk
- Cinema Blend: Jon Hamm Surprised That Jon Hamm Has Been Rumored For Doctor Strange
- Vulture: Jon Hamm, Julianna Margulies, and 17 Other Stars and Shows to Root for at Next Monday’s Emmy Awards
There’s DC Comics, Marvel Comics and then we have Dark Horse Comics, which is definitely the dark horse of the comics industry. Sin City, 300, Hellboy, The Mask, all were based on Dark Horse published comics. This time we’ll be looking at worldwide numbers and to qualify a movie had to have been at least […] Read Box Office: Top 10 Most Successful Movies Based on Dark Horse Comics on Filmonic.
- Variety: Box Office: ‘If I Stay’ Starts Solidly with $1.1 Million at Thursday Night Shows
- Variety: Social Media Buzz: ‘If I Stay’ Tugs on Young Emotions to Top Box Office
- The Wrap: 5 Freaky Facts From a Fractured Summer Box Office
- The Wrap: Teen Weeper ‘If I Stay’ Earns $1.1 Million at Thursday Night Box Office
Cameras are now rolling on the fourth season of "Girls," and as per usual, plot details are being kept under a Christopher Nolan-esque blanket of secrecy. We do know that folks like Spike Jonze, Maude Apatow and Natasha Lyonne have booked guest stints, but that's about it. Well, this first teaser for the new season won't reveal much more, but we know you'll watch it regardless. Running thirty seconds long, there's not much to it: Lena Dunham rides a bike (in leafy Iowa? Did Hannah go to writing school after all?) and then falls off of it. Oh geez.
- IndieWire: Watch: Lena Dunham Falls Down On the Job On Set of HBO's 'Girls'
- Vulture: Your First Girls Sneak Peek Comes via Lena Dunham’s Instagram
- Variety: Watch ‘Girls’ Season 4 Teaser Trailer, Which Features a Meta Twist
- We Got This Covered: Lena Dunham Has Trouble Riding A Bike In Girls Season 4 Teaser
When 'Guardians of the Galaxy' star Chris Pratt filmed his acceptance of the ALS Ice Challenge, we all thought he had beat the internet. Blue Ice vodka? Smirnoff Ice? Genius! However, that was until the great and playful Benedict Cumberbatch stepped up to the plate and filmed the greatest response to this viral phenomenon to date. Continue reading…
It looks like more and more sources are coming forward regarding new scenes being shot for BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE supporting the rumors that the film will deal directly with the fallout of the closing events of MAN OF STEEL. Specifically, it looks like Superman himself is being called to task for General Zod's actions in that film and the destruction of Metropolis. Batman News shared some set... Read More...
- Comic Book Movie: Scoot McNairy Hints That BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE Role Is Long-Term
- Dark Horizons: Brief Details Of "Batman v Superman" DC Shoot
- Comic Book Movie: New BATMAN V SUPERMAN Plot Details Reveal Why The Action Heads To Washington D.C.
- MovieWeb: 'Batman v Superman' Photos Reveal Washington D.C. Setting
Sony Pictures has reportedly tapped Iron Man 3 helmer and Lethal Weapon creator Shane Black to direct The Destroyer, based on the adventure book series by Warren Murphy. Deadline reports that Jim Uhls (Fight Club) penned the screenplay adaptation with James Mullaney, who served as a writer on The Destroyer book series.
- The Playlist: Watch: Full 1985 Movie 'Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins' Now Being Given A Franchise Reboot By Shane Black
- Bleeding Cool: Remo Williams: The Adventure Reboots – Shane Black To Helm The Destroyer
- Cinema Blend: Iron Man 3 Director To Revive The Remo Williams Series
- ScreenRant: Shane Black to Direct ‘The Destroyer’ Movie Adaptation
Does Sony have a plan for the Spider-Man film series? Of course they do! Well, actually… maybe? Any film series “plan” must involve an evolving set of decisions, but in the case of Spider-Man some of those decisions seem to contradict one another. The throughline of the two new films so far has involved Peter Parker’s parents, his father’s work at Oscorp, and Oscorp’s tendency to develop technology that is really great for evil.
- Screen Crush: Did Marc Webb Just Confirm the 'Sinister Six' Lineup?
- Total Film: Watch an exclusive The Amazing Spider-Man 2 deleted scene
- Comic Book Movie: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 VFX Featurette
- MovieWeb: 'Sinister Six' Will Include Mysterio and Kraven
The newly revitalized Hammer Films have had some big successes ("Let Me In," "The Woman In Black"), less well received productions ("The Resident," "The Quiet Ones") and for their next trick, the studio is hoping a sequel can put another movie into the win column.
- Horror-Movies.ca: First Teaser for ‘The Woman in Black: Angel of Death’
- Digital Spy: Watch a new teaser trailer for The Woman in Black: Angel of Death
- Horror Society: The Woman in Black 2 Angel of Death Poster and Trailer
Actress Evangeline Lilly has been cast in the upcoming Ant-Man film as Hope Van Dyne, the daughter of Janet Van Dyne and Hank Pym. With the movie now filming in San Francisco, Lilly posted photos on Instagram of her new hair and of her with co-star Paul Rudd. The new haircut does lend itself to the idea that she will end up being the Wasp, who has mostly been portrayed with short hair.
- Digital Spy: See Evangeline Lilly unveil dramatic new hairdo for Marvel's Ant-Man
- We Got This Covered: Evangeline Lilly Has A New Haircut To Go Along With Her Ant-Man Role
- Comic Book Movie: Evangeline Lilly Shares Some Snaps Of Her ANT-MAN Look
Last week we got our first look at Joaquin Phoenix and Josh Brolin in Paul Thomas Anderson’s highly anticipated INHERENT VICE. Now typically the Internet wouldn’t go crazy for an image from what might be classified as one of the more quiet movies of the year, but this is Paul Thomas Anderson and it’s the adaption of INHERENT VICE! That’s two of my favorite things ever just so... Read More...
Winter is setting in. Time to find food and shelter is running out. And with a newborn infant to sustain, walkers are a greater threat than ever.
Sophie Turner talks about "Game of Thrones" season 5, her role in the new thriller "Another Me" and future releases "Barely Lethal" and "Mary Shelley's Monster."http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/awards-campaign
Goonies never say die, though their yeses do sometimes come rather begrudgingly. After spending much of his morning Reddit AMA dishing behind-the-scenes stories about the kiddie cult flick, Josh Brolin continued to use his “Sin City 2” press blitz to discuss “The Goonies” — a movie released 30 years ago — on the “Tonight” Show. Also read: George Clooney, Josh Brolin to Star in ‘Hail, Caesar!’ for Coen Brothers, Universal Wearing a throwback red bandana gifted to him by host Jimmy Fallon (and thus bearing a striking resemblance to his
- Cinema Blend: Josh Brolin Updates Us On The Goonies 2
- USA Today: Josh Brolin on 'Goonies' sequel: 'I would do it!'
- FirstShowing.net: Josh Brolin & Jimmy Fallon Celebrate 30th Anniversary of 'Goonies'
Robert Lorenz has been working with Clint Eastwood for nearly twenty years, first as an assistant director and then as a producer on many of his films including this year's Jersey Boys and American Sniper with Bradley Cooper, which will be released in select cities on Christmas Day. In 2012, Lorenz had a chance to direct Clint in his directorial debut, the baseball drama Trouble with the Curve, co-starring Amy Adams, and now Warner Bros. has gotten back on board with Lorenz to have him direct Past Due, an action flick based on Thompson Evans' Blacklist script.
David Yates is going back to the Harry Potter universe and will direct the first installment of spinoff series Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, according to Variety. Yates directed the last four Harry Potter movies. Written by J. K. Rowling, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is companion book to the main series which talks about the various fantastic creatures found in the Harry Potter universe. read more
Jet Li made his debut in the 1982 movie Shaolin Temple (billed in the trailer as a “grand production of billion dollars”!), and the film was a landmark in martial arts cinema. A collaboration between US and Chinese companies is backing a remake, and there’s an eye-roll waiting at the end of that news. But Justin Lin, best known for the Fast & Furious series, was announced as director earlier this year. That’s interesting. And now Andrew Dominik (The Assassination of Jesse James, Killing Them Softly) will script the movie.
This fall, Grant Gustin's Barry Allen will awaken from a nine-month coma, and when he does, he'll quickly discover that he's not the same old Barry. His superpowered journey starts October 7, come watch as he goes from zero to hero... in a Flash! Check out a brand new promo, featuring footage from the pilot, below! Barry Allen was just 11 years old when his mother was killed in a bizarre and terrifying incident and his father was falsely convicted of the murder.
- Dark Horizons: TV News: Flash, Grace, Who, Vampire
- Bleeding Cool: The Flash’s Rogues Gallery Grows As Girder Is Cast
- Comic Book Movie: THE FLASH Gets A UK Channel And An Awesome New Promo Poster
The season two premiere of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is set to kick off in style with an appearance from Crusher Creel, a character better known to comic book fans as the villainous Absorbing Man! Marvel made the news official on their site today, and simultaneously put an end to that recent Kree speculation by unveiling the following image of Generation Kill and Teen Wolf star Brian Patrick Wade in the role.
- We Got This Covered: Brian Patrick Wade Joins Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. As The Absorbing Man
- Bleeding Cool: The Absorbing Man Makes His Agents Of SHIELD Debut
Those of us in California who are experiencing a record drought can somewhat relate to the dystopian sci-fi thriller Young Ones, albeit on a much smaller scale. A new trailer has been released which shows a world torn apart after water has become the most precious and valuable resource on the planet.
Following the new TV spot released last week, Sony Pictures has debuted a behind-the-scenes featurette for The Equalizer. Denzel Washington stars as McCall, a highly-trained soldier who starts over in Boston in hopes of living a quiet life. When he meets a young prostitute named Teri (Chloe Moretz), McCall springs into action to protect her.Denzel Washington reveals that McCall is doing whatever he can just to fit in, while Chloe Moretz reveals part of McCall's daily routine.
The CW's highest rated show, The Vampire Diaries, returns for its sixth season this fall. Last season ended with the deaths of Bonnie (Kat Graham) & Damon (Ian Somerhalder), this season picks up a few months later with Elena (Nina Dobrev) still in mourning and Stefan (Paul Wesley) seemingly moving on. The show is based on L. J.
On the latest episode of TheWrap's popular video series “Drinking With the Stars,” Laura Ramsey, who plays the female lead alongside Owen Wilson and Zach Galifianakis in Matthew Weiner‘s comedy “Are You Here,” sat down with film reporter Jeff Sneider to discuss how her experience on “Mad Men” helped her land the coveted role. Ramsey and Sneider enjoyed drinks at Mixology at The Grove in West Hollywood, where the up-and-coming actress looked completely different than she does in “Are You Here.” Also watch: Zach Galifianakis, Owen Wilson
Sony Pictures Former indie auteur David Gordon Green‘s jump to the big time started off with such promise. Let’s take a little time travel trip! 2008′s Pineapple Express caught Seth Rogen and James Franco just as the weirdo lovefest that is their comedic team-up was really taking off (with Freaks & Geeks behind them and The Interview way out in the future, it was kind of the perfect opportunity to see what these two could do — which is be weird and lovable and funny with the best of them).
Briefly: The first teaser trailer for Jason Reitman's latest film Men, Women & Children just debuted online before the drama premieres next month at the Toronto International Film Festival. But at the time, Paramount Pictures hadn't set an official release date. Now Deadline reports the studio has finally set the promising film for a limited release on October 1st with an expansion on October 10th and then a wide release on October 17th.
The first full trailer has appeared online for The Conjuring spin-off, Annabelle, in which the titular doll sets about menacing another luckless family. The film is set some years before the original, and this latest trailer hints at the events that may have led to the doll becoming a demonic instrument. Because there’s a lot more to Annabelle than a creepy paintjob and a pair of unnervingly starey eyes… people tend to get hurt when she’s around. Badly. Take a look at the new trailer, below… Our first piece of advice would be to smash that doll with a sledgehammer. Then burn it.
- Horror Society: New ANNABELLE Trailer
- The Playlist: Watch: See What Happened Before 'The Conjuring' In New Trailer For Spinoff 'Annabelle'
Christopher McQuarrie (Jack Reacher) confirmed earlier this week that production had kicked off on Mission: Impossible 5, and more set photos from the movie have found their way online. The latest once again feature leading man Tom Cruise, but he's now joined by British actor Simon Pegg. He's becoming a mainstay of the franchise since J.J. Abrams' Mission: Impossible III, and both will be joined by a cast which includes Jeremy Renner, Rebecca Ferguson, Alec Baldwin and Ving Rhames.
(Or should that be Cleavers and Cleavages? Or Axes and Asses? I can never choose...) In Joel Saisson's thriller Cam2Cam, a sicko bastard in Bangkok is decapitating young foreign women, after first making them undress in front of their own laptops with the webcam on. Allie, a young American woman, moves into the apartment of one of the murdered girls. Soon, she seems to be following into the victim's exact same footsteps, on purpose, even visiting the same "Cam2Cam" website. New bait, soon to be stalked by the same killer? Or is something else happening?
The long-gestating adaptation of “The Giver” may not have set the box office ablaze —a 5th place finish with $12.1 million— or won over critics, but that isn’t stopping Katie Holmes from aiming at the cheap seats again with “Miss Meadows.” The thriller’s first trailer has arrived online to entice anyone who's ever wanted to see the ex-Mrs. Cruise wield firearms. Running a little over a minute and a half, the trailer sells the Holmes-starring film as “Death Wish” with a sweet elementary school teacher as its lead.
- Variety: Katie Holmes Buys Calabasas Crib
For many communities in the U.S., like those depicted in "Friday Night Lights," football is a kind of religion as much as it is commerce, a national pasttime turned into weekly spectacle around which entire cities and towns live and breathe. But in the inner city, football offers hope, a chance to stay off the streets, brotherhood and a feeling of pride that they might not get elsewhere.
Vincent D’Onofrio became a household name playing the eccentric and brilliant Detective Robert Goren on Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Now he has shaved his head to become the Kingpin of Crime, Wilson Fisk on the new Marvel and Netflix series Daredevil.
- We Got This Covered: Vincent D’Onofrio Talks Marvel, Daredevil And Wilson Fisk
If the television series Castle wasn’t already “meta” enough with the show being about a writer pairing with a cop for inspiration on the novels he’s working on and then in the show we meet the woman who is going to play the cop he’s partnered with in a movie made from his novels… well now they are taking it one step further. Variety is reporting that ABC is in early development for a drama series based on the Derrick Storm novels written by Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) prior to him meeting Kate Beckett (Stana Katic).
It was announced on Monday, on Milla Jovovich’s facebook page that the filming of Resident Evil: The Last Chapter is going to be delayed. Jovovich and husband Paul W. S. Anderson are expecting a child. It’s not sure exactly how long the filming will be delayed, but the movie was already in the early stages as she mentions people working in South Africa on the film already.
- Dread Central: Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Is Coming to Xbox 360
Never Underestimate a Girl with Nothing to Lose. Based on the groundbreaking, cult classic anime, KITE tells the story of Sawa (India Eisley, “The Secret Life of the American Teenager,” Underworld: Awakening), a young woman living in a corrupt society where crime and gangs terrorize the streets. When Sawa’s mother and policeman father are found victims of a grisly double homicide, she begins a ruthless pursuit for the man who murdered them. With the help of her father’s ex-partner, Karl Aker (Samuel L.
A24, in conjunction with director Matt Shakman, the film's producers and in partnership with DIRECTV, announced today that they have acquired all US rights to Matt Shakman's directorial debut Cut Bank.
- Thompson on Hollywood: TIFF Thriller 'Cut Bank' Picked Up by A24, DIRECTV
DreamWorks Animation has made a few slight release date changes today, moving The Croods 2 from November 3, 2017 to December 22, 2017 while Puss in Boots 2: Nine Lives and 40 Thieves shifts from November 2, 2018 to December 21, 2018.The Croods 2 currently has its new December 22, 2017 date to itself, but it comes just two days after an untitled animated project from 20th Century Fox and Blue Sky Animation. If it would have stayed in its old November 3, 2017, it would have had to face an untitled Marvel Studios adventure.
Twitter User @jl31400, an individual with an extremely keen eye & taste for Marvel, seems to have spotted the first "MCU" Easter Egg in a set photo for Marvel Studios' upcoming 'Ant-Man'! Check it out below! @Marvel_Freshman First easter eggs from Ant-Man ? pic.twitter.com/cLsZ678CIP — Sott_Lang (@jl31400) August 21, 2014 The posters behind Paul Rudd (Scott Lang) showcase bottles of "Pingo Doce" soda, which were displayed in Stan Lee's cameo from 2008's 'The Incredible Hulk'. Pretty nifty!
- Screen Crush: Hulk Easter Egg Already Spotted on the 'Ant-Man' Set
- Comic Book Movie: Possible New ANT-MAN Story Details; Will 'Hope Van Dyne' Suit Up As 'The Wasp'?
The Oscar-winning filmmaker reveals there's "nothing I need to say as an artist" that he can't say through 'Avatar.'http://www.hitfix.com
- We Got This Covered: Avatar Sequels Will Give Us Insight Into James Cameron’s World View
MondoCon will celebrate film, music, art and toys during its inaugural lineup.http://www.hitfix.com
- Digital Spy: 2000 AD documentary Future Shock! releases trailer
Do you have an issue with insects? If so it may be wise for you to steer clear of the exclusive clip we are about to share from the Ulrich Siedl produced Goodnight Mommy (Ich Seh Ich Seh). Directed by Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala and a selection of both the Venice and Toronto film festivals, word is already beginning to circulate about this one being a dark little piece of genre cinema sure to get tongues wagging and not at all the sort of thing we commonly associate with Austrian film. This clip would appear to bear that out.In the heat of summer.
Looking at this week's releases, one actor pops up in the two biggest films: Stacy Keach! He plays Chloë Grace Moretz' avuncular grandfather in If I Stay, and the pinnacle of human corruption in Sin City: A Dame To Kill For. These two roles immediately point out the actor's all-purpose versatility, easily usable as wither a menacing villain or the coolest family member.
Director Charlie McDowell and writer Justin Lader talk to ComingSoon.net about the making of The One I Love, starring Mark Duplass and Elisabeth Moss, which will have a run in select cities starting Friday, August 22.
- USA Today: 'The One I Love' is hard to resist
Teresa and her girlfriends head to the Jersey Shore for a weekend of drunken debauchery. When there is a mix-up with their booking and they have nowhere else to go, Teresa suggests they stay at her Uncle Vito's in the Pine Barrens. During a trip to the Shore, the girls meet up with five muscle bound lug heads, and they party into the night. When they are kicked out of the bar they head back to Uncle Vito's place. There a deranged killer begins to pick them off one by one. Let us start off by surprising no one. Jersey Shore Massacre is dumb. Dumb as bricks.
- Variety: Film Review: ‘Jersey Shore Massacre’
For those of you who enjoyed seeing Antonio Banderas back on the big screen in EXPENDABLES 3, you'll get to check him out again in just a few months in the Sci-Fi/Thriller AUTOMATA. In the film, Banderas will portray Jacq Vaucan, an insurance agent of ROC robotics corporation who investigates the case of manipulating a robot. What he discovers will have profound consequences for the future of humanity . .... Read More...
- Bleeding Cool: First Trailer For Automata Starring Antonio Banderas
Superhero movies might be dominating the top of the box office charts, but the horror genre has also been enjoying a quiet but steady level of success in recent years. Horror films like Sinister, The Conjuring and Insidious have all achieved ticket sales that multiply their meager budgets many times over, so it should come as no surprise that Paramount Pictures (whose properties include the Paranormal Activity franchise) is making moves to revive another horror series. The Ring 3 was recently reported to be back in development at Paramount, with F.
- Horror-Movies.ca: ‘The Ring 3′ Gets a Rewrite from Akiva Goldsman
As we start making our festival schedules, cross-checking them with movies we want to see versus what scheduling conflicts will allow, it can mean that sometimes we need to be reminded about many high-profile movies coming our way.
Everyone is feeling pretty proud of themselves for making this ALS Ice Bucket Challenge a popular charitable trend, and it's hard to be cynical about something so silly doing so much good. Guardians of the Galaxy star Chris Pratt even partook in the challenge himself, but it's another heartwarming gesture of generosity that has a lump in our throats. Pratt was able to hook Marvel up with Children's Miracle Network Hospital to arrange a special screening of the sci-fi adventure for patients and their families at Children's Hospital in Los Angeles earlier this week.
The big-name stars aren't only going to be found at film festivals over the next few weeks. Two of the biggest around — Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth — have a new thriller that's coming to screens, "Before I Go To Sleep." And two clips along with a plethora of new images have arrived to get you as prepared as possible for what's coming. Rowan Joffe directs the adaptation of the S.J. Watson novel about a woman who wakes up every morning without the memory of what happened the day before.
- Dread Central: Nicole Kidman Confused in New Before I Go to Sleep Clip
A new trailer for the James Franco-produced documentary “Kink” gives viewers a glimpse into the world of pleasurable pain that Kink.com produces for fans of BDSM content. The preview (above) teases a lot of nudity accompanied by whips, chains and leather as director Christina Voros takes viewers behind-the-scenes of the web's largest producer of pornography tilted toward those who get off on bondage, discipline, sadism and masochism. See video: James Franco's Genius Movie Brain Is Tested in Jimmy Fallon's 5 Second Challenge Perhaps surprising to some, everyone working o
- Film School Rejects: Maybe Don’t Watch the ‘Kink’ Trailer At Work
Joseph Gordon-Levitt has provided an update on his forthcoming adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s comic, Sandman, which he is both producing and directing. “Right now we’re working on a script,” says Gordon-Levitt. “It’s me and [David S.] Goyer and the screenwriter and Neil Gaiman, as well as the good folks at DC and Warner Bros. It’s a really cool team of people.” “It’s a lot of the same people who worked on the Nolan Batman movies. It’s really exciting.
- We Got This Covered: Joseph Gordon-Levitt Gives Sandman Movie Update
After he’d done years of the show Sam and Friends but before moving on to The Muppet Show, Jim Henson did a set of experimental musical shorts. The animations use paper cutouts to visualize music. In the case of this one, Drums West, the inspiration and backing track is a piece from jazz drummer Chico Hamilton. Watch the short below, which ends with a bit of bonus footage of the young animater/puppeteer at work. Here’s the Jim Henson Company’s explanation of the short: “Drums West” cut-paper animation from Jim Henson.
"Pride" may not be on your radar, but it should be.
- We Got This Covered: Pride Review
- The Wrap: ‘Me + Her’ Director Joseph Oxford on Life and Death in Cardboard Animation: TheWrap's ShortList Quickie
- The Wrap: JFK's Profanity-Laced Tirade Featured in ‘Silly Bastard Next to the Bed:’ TheWrap's ShortList Quickie
- The Wrap: ‘The Phone Call’ Director Mat Kirkby's Next Project Will Make '50 Shades’ Look Like ‘Mary Poppins': TheWrap's ShortList Quickie
- Comic Book Movie: FREE DRAWING: Win A GOTG 'Groot' Funko Pop! Bobble-head
Gross: $28,523,147Total: $117,765,383
Gross: $25,115,564Total: $222,661,385
Gross: $17,813,722Total: $26,220,986
Gross: $15,879,645Total: $15,879,645
5. Giver, TheGross: $12,305,016Total: $12,305,016