Top Movie News for March 7, 2014
SXSW is now underway, and there's a lot to choose from, and so to help those of you on the ground in Austin, we collected our 15 Most Anticipated Films Of The 2014 SXSW Film Festival. One we hope you'll make some time for, and featured on our list, is director Alex R. Johnson's feature debut "Two Step." Starring Beth Broderick, James Landry Hébert, Skyy Moore, Jason Douglas, Ashley Rae Spillers and more, the story follows James, a directionless college dropout, and Webb, a career criminal with his back against the wall, who violently collide.
- Hollywood Reporter: SXSW: Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Nabs International Rights on 'Space Station 76'
- IndieWire: Critic's Notebook: Why You Should Care About the SXSW Film Festival
- IndieWire: SXSW Sci-Fi Film 'Space Station 76' Acquired by Sony Pictures Worldwide
- Entertainment Weekly: SXSW: Aaron Paul has a ‘Hellion’ on his hands — EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- Deadline: Exclusive SXSW Clip: ‘The Legend Of Shorty’
- Deadline: On Eve Of SXSW Preem ‘Oculus,’ Filmmakers Set ‘Diver’ As Next Pic
- Entertainment Weekly: SXSW: Check out an exclusive clip from cult actor doc ‘That Guy Dick Miller’ — VIDEO
- IndieWire: SXSW: Fandor Acquires 'Easy' for Daniel Laabs Shorts Showcase
- Hollywood Reporter: SXSW: 'Mateo' Tells the Tale of the World's Unlikeliest Mariachi
- Cinema Blend: SXSW 2014: Find Out What The Buzz Is During The Festival's First Day!
- Thompson on Hollywood: Live Stream Two Conversations with Edward Snowden and Julian Assange from SXSW
- Dread Central: SXSW 2014: Oculus Director Mike Flanagan Announces Next Film - Diver
- Entertainment Weekly: SXSW: 11 must-see movies on the menu in Texas
- Entertainment Weekly: SXSW: ‘Wild Canaries’ mostion posters for the screwball comedy starring Sophia Takal, Alia Shawkat, Jason Ritter — EXCLUSIVE
- AintItCool: SXSW 2014: Jeremy Finds THAT GUY DICK MILLER A Warm, Worthy Tribute To A National Treasure!
- Horror Society: SXSW: Breach The Barrier Between The Living And The Dead In Supernatural Thriller ‘Diver’
- The Playlist: SXSW Exclusive: Dreams Require Sacrifice In Illustrated Poster For Horror 'Starry Eyes'
- The Playlist: SXSW Exclusive: Music Video From Rock 'N' Road Trip Movie 'Big In Japan'
- The Wrap: 15 Gotta-See SXSW Movies: Zac Efron Bros Out and Jeremy Sisto Balls Out (Photos)
I don’t take spooky movies about supernatural things that go bump in the night at all seriously, at least not in the sense that they might portray anything actual, real or possible. As stories, parables, allegories or just shadowplays, then I can invest in them gladly. Diector Scott Derickson may feel I’m doing him a discredit, however. I think some of the concepts and representations in his horror films are rather more real to him than they would ever be to me.
- We Got This Covered: Eric Bana Finds The Devil At Home In First Deliver Us From Evil Trailer
- AintItCool: Eric Bana Wants to DELIVER US FROM EVIL in this New Trailer!
- JoBlo: Eric Bana ain't afraid of no ghosts in the trailer for Deliver Us From Evil
- The Playlist: Watch: First Trailer For Eric Bana Horror 'Deliver Us From Evil' Introduces Two Types Of Evil
- MovieWeb: 'Deliver Us from Evil' Trailer Starring Eric Bana
- FirstShowing.net: Watch: Eric Bana in First Trailer for Derrickson's 'Deliver Us from Evil'
- The Wrap: Eric Bana Investigates the Supernatural in First Trailer for ‘Deliver Us From Evil’ (Video)
- Horror-Movies.ca: Official Trailer for Deliver Us From Evil
- FearNet: Enjoy the Trailer for 'Deliver Us From Evil,' the New Scott Derrickson Movie
- Dread Central: This Official Trailer Will Deliver Us from Evil
- Moviefone: The 'Deliver Us From Evil' Trailer Serves Up One Terrifying Crime Spree (VIDEO)
- Coming Soon: Check Out the Trailer for Deliver Us From Evil
- Screen Crush: 'Deliver Us From Evil' Trailers: Is This the Next 'Conjuring'?
- SlashFilm: ‘Deliver Us From Evil’ Trailer: “You Haven’t Seen True Evil”
- Latino Review: Trailer Hits for ‘Deliver Us From Evil’
After its victory over Leonidas' 300, the Persian Army under the command of Xerxes marches south towards the major Greek city-states. The Democratic city of Athens, first on the path of Xerxes' army, bases its strength on its fleet, led by admiral Themistocles. Themistocles is forced to an unwilling alliance with the traditional rival of Athens, oligarchic Sparta whose might lies with its superior infantry troops. But Xerxes still reigns supreme in numbers over sea and land. Starring Lena Headey, Eva Green, Rodrigo Santoro, Sullivan Stapleton, Andrew Tiernan and Callan Mulvey.
- Hollywood Reporter: '300: Rise of an Empire': The Making of an Impossible Sequel
- Hollywood Reporter: '300: Rise of an Empire' Trailer Recut With Internet Comments (Video)
- Vulture: Lena Headey on Playing a Queen in Game of Thrones and 300: Rise of an Empire, and What’s Next for Cersei
- Moviefone: '300: Rise of an Empire': By the Numbers Review
- Hollywood Reporter: Box Office: '300: Rise of An Empire' Soars to $16 Million-Plus Friday
- Variety: ’300: Rise of an Empire’ Sees $16 Million Friday With Sturdy Overseas B.O.
- ScreenRant: ’300: Rise of an Empire’ Spoilers Discussion
- The Wrap: '300: Rise of an Empire’ Slices Up $3.3 Million Thursday Opening
- FirstShowing.net: Stunning Visuals, Eva Green Make '300: Rise of an Empire' Worthwhile
- MovieWeb: BOX OFFICE PREDICTIONS: Can 'Mr. Peabody and Sherman' Hold Back '300: Rise of an Empire'?
- Film School Rejects: ’300: Rise of an Empire’ Review: Eva Green Gives Rise to More Than Just an Empire
- FirstShowing.net: Sound Off: Noam Murro's '300: Rise of an Empire' - Your Thoughts?
- Comic Book Movie: VIDEO: 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE Trailer Recut With YouTube Comments
- Movies With Butter: New in Theaters: '300: Rise of an Empire,' 'Mr. Peabody and Sherman'
Following the Gwen and Peter featurette from earlier this week, Sony Pictures has now released the "Becoming Peter Parker" featurette that you can watch below.
- Comic Book Movie: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2: "Becoming Peter Parker" Featurette Released
- MovieWeb: 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2': Becoming Peter Parker Featurette
- Hollywood Reporter: Does a Cereal Tie-In to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Spoil the Plot? (Video)
- Digital Spy: The Amazing Spider-Man 2: New Stan Lee-narrated videos unveiled
- Coming Soon: New Footage From The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Debuts
- Screen Crush: 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2′ Clips Uncover New Story Details, New Look at Chris Cooper's Norman Osborn
- The Playlist: Watch: 3 Clips From 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' Narrated By Stan Lee
- Bleeding Cool: Stan Lee Explains What’s Happening In Some New Amazing Spider-Man 2 Footage, Including A Potentially Huge Spoiler
- MovieWeb: 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2': Stan Lee Narrates 3 New Clips
- JoBlo: This new video from The Amazing Spider-man 2 may be dropping a huge spoiler
- Comic Book Movie: UPDATE: New THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Video Game Screenshots
- SlashFilm: Superhero Bits: Amazing Spider-Man 2, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Latino Review: No Need For Cereal, We’ve Got New ‘Spider-Man’ App Clips!
- Comic Book Movie: COMICS: ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN Ending Next Month; Relaunch On The Way
Captain America: The Winter Soldier has released a three-minute scene online, in which Cap leads a S.H.I.E.L.D. operation to recover a ship hijacked by pirates. Combining snappy dialogue with bone-crunching action, the new scene gives a really good sense of the tone of the film, as Cap, Black Widow and Frank Grillo’s Crossbones all get themselves in on the act. We particularly enjoyed watching Black Widow cleaning house.
- Badass Digest: The Russo Brothers On Why THE WINTER SOLDIER Is THREE DAYS OF CAPTAIN AMERICA
- Coming Soon: New Captain America: The Winter Soldier Featurette Highlights Black Widow
- JoBlo: These 10 cities will get to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier early
- Filmonic: Watch: Awesome Preview Trailer for Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Digital Spy: Captain America:The Winter Soldier - Black Widow featurette released
- Dark Horizons: "Winter Soldier" Double Screening And More
- Screen Crush: 'Captain America 2′ Preview: Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow Is Back in Action
- ScreenRant: ‘Captain America 2′ Writers Talk Characters & Hint At R-Rated Marvel Project
- Coming Soon: AMC Theatres Offering Captain America Double Feature on April 3
- MovieWeb: 'Captain America' Double Feature Coming to AMC Theatres on April 3
- Comic Book Movie: Chloe Bennet Talks CAPTAIN AMERICA 2/ S.H.I.E.L.D. Crossover, Future Guest Appearances
Chef is premiering today at the SXSW festival. There’s no trailer yet, but a clip has been released, via Buzzfeed, and you can watch it in the YouTube player below. The film marks Jon Favreau’s return to non-fantasy film directing for the first time since Made, his debut in 2001. He’s never really stopped making comedies, however, with only Cowboys and Aliens really failing to strike the funny bone with real regularity. Click here to view the embedded video. Okay. Promising.
- AintItCool: Stuck without a badge at SXSW? Wanna mingle with Jon Favreau and the cast of Chef? Click here!
- MovieWeb: 'Chef' First Look Clip and Photos with Jon Favreau
- ScreenRant: First ‘Chef’ Clip; Jon Favreau Talks Rock Star Chefs and Personal Filmmaking
- Thompson on Hollywood: SXSW First Look: Triple Threat Jon Favreau's 'Chef,' Starring Sofia Vergara, Scarlett Johansson & Robert Downey Jr.
- AintItCool: First clip from Jon Favreau's CHEF, premiering at SXSW! Favs vs. Twitter!
- The Playlist: Watch: First Clip From Jon Favreau's 'Chef' Premiering At SXSW Plus New Pics
- JoBlo: Check out the first clip from Jon Favreau's superhero-less comedy-drama Chef
- The Playlist: SXSW Review: Jon Favreau's 'Chef' Starring Sofia Vergara, Scarlett Johansson, John Leguizamo & More
- Shockya: Chef Gets A New Clip
- Screen Crush: 'Chef' Review
Briefly: We're happy to report that one of our favorite films out of Sundance 2014 finally has a distributor and will be hitting theaters this fall. Picturehouse, the 2013-rebooted version of the classic indie studio, has acquired all US rights to The Guest, from writer Simon Barrett and director Adam Wingard, behind You're Next previously. The film was a huge hit at Sundance this year, playing in the Midnight Madness category, starring Dan Stevens (from "Downton Abbey") as a soldier who arrives at the home of the Peterson family, and begins protecting them.
- Hollywood Reporter: Picturehouse Picks Up Adam Wingard's 'The Guest'
- IndieWire: Picturehouse Acquires Adam Wingard's Thriller 'The Guest'
- The Wrap: Picturehouse Acquires Adam Wingard's ‘The Guest’ Starring Dan Stevens
- SlashFilm: Picturehouse Picks Up Adam Wingard’s ‘The Guest’
- Deadline: SXSW: Picturehouse Picks Up ‘The Guest’
- Variety: Picturehouse Acquires Adam Wingard’s ‘The Guest’
- Thompson on Hollywood: 'You're Next' Director Adam Wingard's SXSW-Bound 'The Guest' Nabs US Distribution (VIDEO)
- Dread Central: The Guest Nabs Distribution
This weekend, Rocky & Bullwinkle fans get a blast from the past with Mr. Peabody & Sherman, which sends the animated duo (voiced by Ty Burrell and Max Charles) on an epic adventure through time. To celebrate the return of the smartest talking dog in 'toondom and his precocious ward, we decided to honor our stars by rounding up a list of some other noteworthy time-travel movies -- and while none of them feature canine inventors, we think you'll find more than a few favorites. It's time for Total Recall!
- Vulture: 7 Questions About the True Detective Finale
- Thompson on Hollywood: Your Guide to Everything You Need to Know and Watch Before Sunday's 'True Detective' Finale
- Vulture: A Handy Glossary of True Detective Names, Places, and Things
- Variety: Homer Simpson Spoofs ‘True Detective’s’ Yellow King
- ScreenRant: SR Geek Picks: ‘Transformers 4′ Pee Wee Trailer, ‘True Detective’ Oscars Parody and More
- SlashFilm: ‘True Detective’ Parody By ‘Community’s’ Joel McCale and Jim Rash
- The Playlist: Check Out These Illustrated Posters For 'Mad Men' & 'True Detective'
- The Playlist: Watch: 'The Simpsons' Couch Gag Directed By Sylvain Chomet Plus 'True Detective' Parody
Director Jim Jarmusch brings his indie sensibilities back to the big screen this spring with the vampire romance Only Lovers Left Alive. Sony Pictures Classics has debuted the first domestic trailer along with a clip. In a vast departure from his role as Loki in Thor: The Dark World, Tom Hiddleston stars as Adam, an underground musician who reunites with his long-lost lover Eve (Tilda Swinton) after spending centuries apart from one another.
- Coming Soon: The Only Lovers Left Alive Trailer, Starring Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston
- Screen Crush: 'Only Lovers Left Alive' Trailer: Tom Hiddleston Vamps It Up for Jim Jarmusch
- FirstShowing.net: Hiddleston Out for Blood in Another 'Only Lovers Left Alive' US Trailer
- IndieWire: Watch: New Trailer for Jim Jarmusch's Vampire Romance 'Only Lovers Left Alive'
- Badass Digest: ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE’s New Trailer Kills
- Dread Central: Sink Your Teeth into a New Only Lovers Left Alive Trailer
- The Playlist: Watch: New Trailer For Jim Jarmusch's 'Only Lovers Left Alive' Is Out For Blood
- SlashFilm: ‘Only Lovers Left Alive’ Trailer Captures the Cool Tension of This Vampire Tale
Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron has added another member to its ensemble cast - actress Kim Soo-hyun, a.k.a. Claudia Kim, is joining the film. Rumors about the actress' appearance in sequel started swirling as early as January, and Comic Book Movie reports she and her Disney Korea rep have officially made the announcement. But who is relatively unknown actress playing? She's not talking. Continue reading…
- Cinema Blend: The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Confirms Korean Actress Kim Soo-hyun In A Substantial Supporting Role
- MovieWeb: 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Adds Korean Actress in Spoiler Heavy Role
- Coming Soon: Korean Actress Kim Soo Hyun Comments on Avengers: Age of Ultron
- ScreenRant: ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’ Cast Adds Korean Actress Kim Soo-hyun
- Bleeding Cool: The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Adds Korean Actress Kim Soo Hyun
- Digital Spy: Avengers 2 actor takes second villain role in Agent 47
- JoBlo: Kim Soo Hyun joins The Avengers 2 in a "substantial supporting" role
- Screen Crush: The Wrap Up: 'The Avengers 2′ Casts Secret "Substantial Supporting Role"
This week, Christy breaks down kid-friendly,time-traveling Mr. Peabody & Sherman, and on home video, the young adult sci-fi thriller The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
- Cinema Blend: Our 4 Exclusive Hunger Games: Catching Fire Stills Take You Behind The Scenes Of 2013's Biggest Blockbuster
- MovieWeb: President Snow Shares His Favorite Scenes in 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' | EXCLUSIVE
- Comic Book Movie: Francis Lawrence's THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE Gets An Honest Trailer
- Long Island Newsday: 'Mr. Peabody and Sherman': Why resurrect these 'Rocky and Bullwinkle' characters?
- Variety: ‘The Hunger Games’ Producer Lands Donna Tartt’s Bestseller ‘The Goldfinch’
- Hollywood Reporter: 'Hunger Games' Producers to Adapt Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch'
- Film School Rejects: ‘Mr. Peabody & Sherman’ Review: Updated Classic Has Puns and Charm to Spare
- The Wrap: ‘Hunger Games’ Producers to Adapt Donna Tartt's ‘The Goldfinch’ (Exclusive)
Focus Features has announced a release date for their Sundance film: The Signal‘s release date is set for Summer 2014. This shows tremendous confidence in William Eubank‘s sci-fi thriller, which was one of my favorite films from this year’s Sundance Film Festival. The Signal Release Date The film will get a roll-out release, hitting some cities on June 13th and expanding to more cities in the following weeks (June 20th and again on June 27th).
- Horror Society: Pick Up Sci-Fi Thriller ‘The Signal’ In Theaters This Summer!
- FirstShowing.net: Focus Sets Indie Sci-Fi Film 'The Signal' for Summer Release in June
- Deadline: Focus Sets ‘The Signal’ For Summer
- Hollywood Reporter: Sci-Fi Thriller 'The Signal' Gets Release Date
- Coming Soon: Focus Features Sci-Fi Thriller The Signal Coming this June
- Dread Central: Focus Features Sends Out The Signal in June
- Dark Horizons: "Signal," "Snowpiercer," "Guest" Set Dates
Mia Wasikowska walks across the Australian desert in her latest film, Tracks, and if nothing else, it looks like it’ll be gorgeous. The John Curran film received mostly positive if somewhat subdued reviews out of its handful of festival runs last year, but it did impress Harvey Weinstein, who picked it up for distribution in the US this year. Wasikowska plays the real life Robin Davidson, who in the 1970s embarked upon a 2,000 solo hike through the Australian outback with only a dog and some camels for company.
- Entertainment Weekly: ‘Tracks’ trailer: Mia Wasikowska walks 2,000 miles, meets Adam Driver — VIDEO
- Coming Soon: The Trailer for Tracks, Starring Mia Wasikowska and Adam Driver
- SlashFilm: ‘Tracks’ Trailer: Starring Mia Wasikowska and Adam Driver
- MovieWeb: 'Tracks' Trailer with Mia Wasikowska and Adam Driver
- Thompson on Hollywood: WATCH: Mia Wasikowska Schleps Through the Outback in New Trailer for 'Tracks'
- FirstShowing.net: Watch: Full US Trailer for the Wonderful 'Tracks' with Mia Wasikowska
- Film School Rejects: Check Out The Trailer For Outback Adventure ‘Tracks’ Starring Mia Wasikowska
Sony Pictures has acquired the film rights to World War Z author Max Brooks' upcoming graphic novel The Harlem Hellfighters.Max Brooks will write the screenplay adaptation himself, with Caleeb Pinkett and James Lassiter producing for Overbrook Entertainment. The graphic novel, which will be published in April, follows the 369th Infantry Regiment, an all African-American troop based out of Harlem who fought in France during World War I, and were one of the most decorated unites in the war.
- Hollywood Reporter: Sony Nabs Max Brooks' WWI Graphic Novel 'The Harlem Hellfighters'
- Variety: Sony Acquires ‘World War Z’ Author’s ‘Harlem Hellfighters’ for Overbrook
- Deadline: In New Michael De Luca Deal, Sony Acquires Rights To ‘Harlem Hellfighters’ From ‘World War Z’ Author Max Brooks
- Dark Horizons: Sony Adapting Max Brooks' "Harlem Hellfighters"
- Coming Soon: Sony Plans The Harlem Hellfighters
- JoBlo: Sony acquires the rights to Max Brooks' The Harlem Hellfighters
- MovieWeb: Giant Praying Mantis Comedy 'Grasshopper Jungle' Lands at Sony
Disney's "Muppets Most Wanted" takes the entire Muppets gang on a global tour, selling out grand theaters in some of Europe's most exciting destinations, including Berlin, Madrid and London. But mayhem follows the Muppets overseas, as they find themselves unwittingly entangled in an international crime caper headed by Constantine—the World's Number One Criminal and a dead ringer for Kermit—and his dastardly sidekick Dominic, aka Number Two, portrayed by Ricky Gervais. The film stars Tina Fey as Nadya, a feisty prison guard, and Ty Burrell as Interpol agent Jean Pierre Napoleon.
- Total Film: Muppets Most Wanted Clip: The Evil Plan
- The Playlist: 'Skyfall,' 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' & More Spoofed In 'Muppets Most Wanted' Posters Plus 2 Clips & TV Spot
- SlashFilm: ‘Muppets Most Wanted’ Posters Parody ‘Skyfall’, ‘Face/Off’
- Comic Book Movie: MUPPETS MOST WANTED Clip: "Welcome To The Big House"
- HitFix: The Muppets spoof Bond, 'Face/Off,' 'Tinker Tailor' in new 'Most Wanted' posters
- MovieWeb: 'Muppets Most Wanted': Kermit Gets Locked Up in New Clip
Coming around the bend and heading into cinemas is "Need For Speed," and the question is whether or not the millions and millions of console fans who have spent hours tinkering with their cars and driving them on tracks around the world will get off the couch to see this. It's an eternal question that movie studios face when adapting video games, and DreamWorks is really trying hard to lure in the core. Yet another featurette and clip have dropped from the film, taking folks behind the scenes while also sharing a snippet from the race-fueled movie.
- The Playlist: Watch: New Clip, Featurette & TV Spots From ‘Divergent' Plus Stream The Entire Kanye West-Inspired Soundtrack
- New York Daily News: Ramon Rodriguez kicks his career to the next gear in ‘Need for Speed’
- Variety: Aaron Paul’s Car Overheats at ‘Need for Speed’ Premiere (VIDEO)
- Deadline: Need For Hit Fuels DreamWorks’ Lively And Raucous ‘Need For Speed’ Hollywood Premiere
- Entertainment Weekly: ‘Need for Speed’ premiere, On the Scene: Aaron Paul, more reveal their worst set of wheels
J.J. Abrams is still a powerhouse when it comes to television. He currently has REVOLUTION, PERSON OF INTEREST, and ALMOST HUMAN airing on three different networks and now his collaboration with Alfonso Cuaron, BELIEVE, will be premiering on NBC. We heard about BELIEVE last year when it was announced as a midseason replacement show. Throughout the Olympics, NBC aired tons of commercials to hype the... Read More...
- IndieWire: Watch: Another Alfonso Cuaron Long Take in the Opening Two Minutes of 'Believe'
- Deadline: Harriet Harris Joins NBC Pilot ‘Lifesaver’; Dana DeLorenzo & Kim Shaw In ‘Two To Go’
- Deadline: Joanna Going Joins DirecTV’s ‘Navy St’; Angelique Cabral Boards NBC’s ‘Two To Go’
- Deadline: Robert Buckley Joins CW’s iZombie; NBC’s ‘Ellen More Or Less’ Adds 2
Ever since Antonio Banderas last donned the cape in 2005's The Legend of Zorro, rebooting the Zorro franchise has proven a Sisyphean project for Hollywood. The last we heard about a Zorror film was Fox's Zorro Reborn, a post-apocalyptic interpretation of the hero that was to star Gael García Bernal. That was two years ago. In the meantime, it looks like Sony Pictures -- the studio behind the Banderas films -- is moving ahead with its own competing project that was originally announced around the same time as Reborn. Continue reading…
- Screen Crush: 'Zorro' Reboot Moving Forward With New Writer and 'Dark Knight' Style
- Movies With Butter: 'Zorro' Returning with 'Dark Knight'-Style Reboot
- AintItCool: Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer!
- Latino Review: Sony Hires Chris Boal To Pen ‘Zorro’ Reboot
John Oliver, who came up through the ranks at The Daily Show, is about to debut his own comedy news program, and here’s the first Last Week Tonight With John Oliver trailer. This gig comes after Oliver’s very successful run filling in for Stewart as The Daily Show anchor. Sure, Jon Stewart is still going strong at The Daily Show, and his one-time protege Stephen Colbert is at the top of his game on The Colbert Report. But there’s room for more comedy in news. (Or more news in comedy?) The show will air each Sunday night on HBO.
- The Playlist: Watch: Teaser Trailer For HBO's 'Last Week Tonight With John Oliver' Moves At The Speed Of News
- Deadline: HBO Unveils Promo For John Oliver’s New Topical Late-Night Weekly ‘Last Week Tonight’: Video
- Badass Digest: Here’s An Idea Of What To Expect From HBO’s LAST WEEK TONIGHT WITH JOHN OLIVER
- Vulture: Watch a Promo for John Oliver’s New HBO Show
“The Basketball Diaries” director Scott Kalvert has been found dead at age 49, TheWrap has confirmed. Kalvert was found at his home and pronounced dead on the scene in Woodland Hills on Wednesday at 1:55 p.m.
- Entertainment Weekly: ‘Basketball Diaries’ director Scott Kalvert found dead at 49
- Variety: Scott Kalvert, Director of ‘The Basketball Diaries’ Dies at 49
- Hollywood Reporter: Scott Kalvert, 'Basketball Diaries' Director, Dies at 49
- Deadline: R.I.P. ‘The Basketball Diaries’ Director Scott Kalvert
Lionsgate has released a series of three motion posters for The Quiet Ones, featuring Jared Harris as Professor Coupland, Sam Claflin as Brian O'Neil and Olivia Cooke as Jane Harper. The story, inspired by true events, centers on a university professor (Jared Harris) who tries to create a poltergeist by using negative human energy, with the help of his students Brian and Jane.
- Horror Society: Hammer Films’ THE QUIET ONES New Motion Posters
- Dread Central: New Quiet Ones Motion Posters Get Things Moving!
- Latino Review: Check Out 3 Motion Posters for ‘The Quiet Ones’
- Coming Soon: The Quiet Ones Delivers a Series of Motion Posters
While Disney and LucasFilm have still not confirmed a single cast member for Star Wars: Episode VII aside from R2D2, it's a pretty safe bet that Carrie Fisher will return to reprise her role as Princess Leia, as she has confirmed this time and again. She will be seen very shortly in an episode of Legit, playing comedian Jim Jeffries' agent. While appearing on Sirius XM's Opie and Anthony Show, Jeffries talked about working with the actress and confirmed that Carrie Fisher will be in London for 6 months working on the J.J. Abrams directed sequel starting in April.
- SlashFilm: Carrie Fisher Will Be In London For 6 Months Making ‘Star Wars Episode VII’
- Cinema Blend: Carrie Fisher Is Supposedly Gonna Be On The Star Wars Set For How Long?
- Coming Soon: The Star Wars News Roundup - 3.7.14
- Twitch: Hey, Toronto! Win A Pair Of Tickets To See Brian De Palma's CARRIE On The Big Screen!
That Ark sure looks good in the trailers, right? Well find out what’s real and what’s not in this interesting featurette about the making of the Ark from the upcoming movie Noah. Oh, so maybe they didn’t actually build the entire thing, it’s still a big and very impressive construction. What I really love is […]Read Watch: ‘Building the Ark’ Featurette for Noah on Filmonic.
- Cinema Blend: Noah Has Already Been Banned In A Bunch Of Countries
- SlashFilm: ‘Noah’, ‘Nymphomaniac’ Banned in Parts of the Middle East
- JoBlo: Check out art from the gallery exhibit inspired by Darren Aronofsky's Noah
- SlashFilm: Page 2: Star Wars, Wes Anderson, GoT, Skyfall, Kubrick, Star Trek, Noah, Indiana Jones, True Detective
Idris Elba is the first to be cast in Disney's live-action The Jungle Book adaptation. He will be the voice of the tiger Shere Khan, the main villain in the movie. In Rudyard Kipling's collection of short stories, Khan tries to kill off the human boy Mowgli before he could become a threat to him, but Khan's attempts are foiled by the other jungle animals. As for Mowgli, Disney is look for a mixed race actor to play the role, according to The Hollywood Reporter. read more
- Total Film: Idris Elba to voice Shere Khan in The Jungle Book
- Filmonic: Idris Elba to Play Shere Kahn in Disney’s The Jungle Book
- Latino Review: One of the Live-Action Jungle Book Movies Just Added Idris Elba
- The Playlist: Charlize Theron Lines Up 'Everything Nice,' Idris Elba Joins 'The Jungle Book' & More
David O. Russell's Golden Globe-winning American Hustle will be available on Blu-ray and DVD on March 18 and we've got a early look at a deleted scene from the film, which has earned nearly $250 million at worldwide theaters and stars Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Jennifer Lawrence.
PLOT: The concierge of a resplendent resort hotel and his faithful lobby boy are caught up in an adventure involving the theft of a priceless painting and the fight over a dead woman's will. REVIEW: Who knew that the ultimate Wes Anderson protagonist would be played not by one of the director's frequent collaborators (Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson to name a few) but by Ralph... Read More...
- Thompson on Hollywood: Production Designer Adam Stockhausen Talks 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' (VIDEOS)
- Hollywood Reporter: 'The Grand Budapest Hotel': What the Critics Are Saying
- Cinema Blend: Grand Budapest Hotel's Jeff Goldblum & Willem Dafoe Make Dreams Come True
Image Comics’ 2004 graphic novel Tommysaurus Rex has a new screenwriter for its long-gestating big screen adaptation. Universal picked up the rights 10 years ago, and after several iterations with different filmmakers attached never came together, it’s up for another go around. THR reports Tom McCarthy and John Bland will be taking over adaptation duties on the Doug TenNapel graphic novel which tells the story of a boy who moves in with his grandfather one summer and has to deal with bullies. Things change when he finds a a T Rex in a cave.
- FirstShowing.net: Tom McCarthy Writing & Possibly Directing 'Tommysaurus Rex' Movie
- Cinema Blend: The Visitor's Tom McCarthy Is Going Dino-Big With Adaptation Of Tommysaurus Rex
- Dark Horizons: "Grasshopper," "Sermon," "Rex" Adapted
Uma Thurman is in negotiations to board Nima Nourizadeh's action comedy American Ultra. The project already has Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart attached to star.The story follows Mike, a lazy stoner (Jesse Eisenberg), who lives a quiet life with his girlfriend (Kristen Stewart). One random night, the couples' lives change when something from Mike's past surfaces. He then finds himself in the middle of a government operation trying to take him out. Max Landis wrote the screenplay.Uma Thurman will play a government agent, who started the secret program that is hunting the couple.
“They say all foxes are slightly allergic to linoleum, but it’s cool to the paw – try it. They say my tail needs to be dry cleaned twice a month, but now it’s fully detachable – see? They say our tree may never grow back, but one day, something will. Yes, these crackles are made of synthetic goose and these giblets come from artificial squab and even these apples look fake – but at least they’ve got stars on them. I guess my point is, we’ll eat tonight, and we’ll eat together.
While it was in Austin during SXSW 2014, we had a chance to take a tour of Game of Thrones: The Exhibition. Click the image above or click here to take our private photo tour into the very real world of Westeros.
The Oscar-winning actress opens up about playing the misunderstood Disney sorceress.http://www.hitfix.com
When Jennifer Lawrence tripped on the Oscars red carpet, she grabbed the back of an anonymous brunette wearing a Dior dress.
When we first reported on Southpaw back in 2010, it was a DreamWorks movie with Eminem attached to star. Since then, it’s suffered several setbacks and a lot has changed. But now it’s finally getting back on track, as a Weinstein Co. project starring Jake Gyllenhaal. A major piece of the puzzle fell into place this week as Antoine Fuqua closed his deal to direct. Get all the details after the jump. Deadline got the news. Although Fuqua only recently finalized his deal, he’s been attached to the Kurt Sutter-scripted boxing drama for years.
Oh, that Nicolas Cage. We cant get enough of him. Hes the best. I would like to think that his role is RAISING ARIZONA pre-determined the path that his career would take. Or maybe it was the one in VALLEY GIRL... Or the one in PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED I like the actor that Cage has grown into. Hes sort of a lovable oddity like John Malkovich. While Im not a fan of some of the random B-movies hes put out, I am... Read More...
The LIVE Q&A will include Lead Actor Chris Pratt (Peter Quill/Star-Lord), Director James Gunn (Slither, Super) and President of Production/ Marvel "Godfather/Mastermind", Kevin Feige. Join us tomorrow, Saturday, March 8th, LIVE at 6PM - PST/ 8PM - CST/ 9PM - EST. --- From Marvel, the studio that brought you the global blockbuster franchises of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers, comes a new team--the Guardians of the Galaxy.
With the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier now just weeks away, we thought we'd take a look back at Scarlett Johansson's deadly secret agent Natasha Romanova, aka Black Widow, whose backstory will reportedly play a significant role in the sequel's story. We've collected all the coolest imagery of Scarlett's Black Widow in the gallery below, in sequence from her supporting role in Iron Man 2 to her bigger and better part in Marvel's The Avengers to finally a preview of her in the upcoming Cap sequel, where her ties to S.H.I.E.L.D.
The first trailer has arrived online for Lenny Abrahamson’s offbeat comedy, Frank, in which Michael Fassbender stars as an enigmatic musician who never removes his oversized model head. Loosely based upon the story of Frank Sidebottom, the new film looks genuinely hilarious, with Fassbender helping his bemused bandmates understand how he’s feeling by describing his facial expressions out loud. Newest member Domhnall Gleeson is the most perplexed by proceedings, but eve he has to admit that the man in the mask is hugely charismatic, even if we can’t see what he looks like.
It’s not really surprising that suave, handsome Englishman Jude Law would book a role in a James Bond-esque spy flick. But it’s something of an unexpected delight to hear that he’s been cast in this particular James Bond-esque spy flick. Law is joining Melissa McCarthy and Jason Statham in Susan Cooper, the next comedy from Bridesmaids and The Heat helmer Paul Feig. More details after the jump. TheWrap reported the news. Also on board is Rose Byrne, who previously worked with McCarthy and Feig on Bridesmaids. Feig wrote the script and will produce as well as direct.
ComingSoon.net has your exclusive first look at a new TV spot for David Ayer's Sabotage , starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Olivia Williams, Mireille Enos, Sam Worthington, Harold Perrineau, Terrence Howard, Joe Manganiello, Max Martini and Josh Holloway.
If you were disappointed by the recent remakes Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013) and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) then you'll be happy to know that the original is coming back this summer, with Leatherface and all his hometown charm digitally remastered for the first time direct from the 16mm negatives shot by director Tobe Hooper (Poltergeist).
- Dark Horizons: "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" Restoration Coming
There are few filmmakers working today with such distinct style as Wes Anderson. And because his movies are so identifiable and enjoyable for certain characteristics, if you like his past work then chances are you'll like his latest, The Grand Budapest Hotel, which opens in limited release this weekend. If you don't like his movies, maybe it's safe to say you won't like this one, either. But Anderson hasn't just been repeating himself for the past 20 years.
The Hollylwood Reporter has confirmed that the somewhat-anticipated sequel Sharknado 2: The Second One will debut on Syfy Thursday, July 31 at 9 PM ET, just over one year after Sharknado premiered on the network, causing a social media frenzy.The site has also confirmed a slew of new cameo appearances from blogger Perez Hilton, Biz Markie, Salt-N-Pepa's Sandra Denton (a.k.a.
Fresh off working with Ron Howard on “In the Heart of the Sea,” British actor Osy Ikhile has landed a supporting role alongside Nicholas Hoult in Owen Harris’ dark comedy “Kill Your Friends,” TheWrap has learned. Hoult stars as an A&R man during the Britpop music wave of the late '90s, who is willing to do whatever it takes to find the next big hit. Also read: Osy Ikhile, Ben Whishaw Set Sail for Ron Howard's ‘In the Heart of the Sea’ (Exclusive) The indie movie, which is based on the novel by John Niven, co-stars Jim Piddock as the managin
If you watched the two-minute opening-scene preview for Veronica Mars a couple days ago and wanted more, well, you're in luck! As part of the opening weekend of the SXSW Festival in Austin, Texas, we'll have an exclusive eight-minute preview to share with you tomorrow (Saturday, March 8) at 1 p.m. PST/3 p.m. CST.
- Long Island Newsday: 'Veronica Mars' hopes for rebirth on big screen
The Human Torch is a young, cocky, and charismatic superhero who can turn his whole body into flames. Actor Michael B. Jordan is young and can play cocky and charismatic with the best of them. So why are some people so mad director Josh Trank cast him in the 2015 reboot of Fantastic Four? Simply put, in the comics the Human Torch is white and Michael B. Jordan is black. Some fans don’t want a black Human Torch. Since the rumors of Jordan’s casting began, his race has been a major topic of discussion.
Most comedy sequels are a disappointment. And when 20 years passes between the original and the second movie, it doesn't often turn out good for the audience. Directors Peter Farrelly and Bobby Farrelly are subverting that notion with Dumb and Dumber To, a follow-up to their 1994 classic Dumb and Dumber. Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels are returning to reprise their roles as Harry and Lloyd, now on the search for a healthy kidney they can give to one of their Illegitimate children.
- SlashFilm: Early Buzz: ‘Dumb and Dumber To’
The Asylum and the Kondelik Brothers have come together to create the most exciting tale ever told - Airplane Vs Volcano! This exciting, action packed feature is set to raze DVD store shelves and several theatres in just a few weeks. Airplane vs. Volcano hosts an all-star cast, including: Dean Cain, Robin Givens, James Andrew Oster and Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs. From Jon Kondelik and James Kondelik (A House Is Not a Home), this title reinvigorates the action thriller genre.
Oracle co-founder and chief executive Larry Ellison will be the guest of honor at this year's “Rebels With a Cause” gala, an event to benefit cancer research at USC, the studio announced Friday. The second annual gala, being held March 20 at Paramount Pictures Studios, will be emceed by Jimmy Kimmel and feature guest performances by Barry Manilow and Pharrell Williams. Paramount chairman and CEO Brad Grey and wife Cassandra, along with Keck School of Medicine dean Carmen Puliafito, are honorary co-chairs of the event.
The Jungle is Jumpin'! Earlier in the week we posted a batch of artwork from Mondo's spectacular Disney show currently open at their gallery during the ongoing SXSW Film Festival down in Austin, TX. Thanks to art lovers at SlashFilm we now have a look at even more art that debuted at the show, which had a huge line to get in, and if you're a Disney fan, or had a childhood (that means everyone) you have to see these. The show is called Nothing's Impossible - info.
For the first time, ever, a map of the town of South Park has been created for in South Park: The Stick of Truth. Part of the challenge South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone faced in making South Park into an exploration-based RPG was figuring out just how everything, from Stark's Pond to City Wok, fits into the small town. A tour of the South Park interactive map. In an interview with GameTrailers, Matt Stone says of the map, "There was some basic geography that we stuck to – Main Street, Kyle doesn't live next door to Cartman, and stuff like that.
Like many Corey Feldman fans, the characters in The M Word are struggling with Menopause. We have your first look at the trailer, which brings former child star turned author, musician and ice skater Feldman back to the big screen for the first time in over a decade. Opening in Los Angeles and New York in April before expanding wider, The M Word follows the personal changes at a local TV station that is threatened by economic downturn, possible in-house theft and massive job loss. They decide to subvert all of this by taking on an ill-advised documentary about Menopause.
- Deadline: Hot Trailer: Henry Jaglom’s ‘The M Word’
A new trailer has arrived online for Locke, starring Tom Hardy as a family man enduring a particularly long night of the soul. Following Hardy’s character as he embarks upon a long drive to London, the film takes place entirely within the confines of Hardy’s car, in a set-up that should rival Buried for claustrophobia. As in that film, Hardy gets plenty of interaction with his mobile phone, but other than the voices on the other end of the line, it’s a completely one-man show.
I am quite thankful to Anton Corbijn who made countless amazing music videos. Honestly, I wouldnt even know where to begin. Hes collaborated with everyone from Depeche Mode to Nirvana to Johnny Cash. The man has a spectacular vision. I was elated to hear that he broke out into the film world back in 2007 with CONTROL, the story of Ian Curtis and Joy Division. A great film if youve never seen it. THE... Read More...
How cool would a Fight Club game be? A good one, that is. Not the mediocre 2004 brawler that got a 4.5 from IGN. Well, the folks at Cinefix set out to answer that question with their 8-Bit Cinema series (though they admit the video is actually 16-bit). Cinefix's recreation has pretty much everything you would want from a Fight Club arcade game: bare-knuckle brawls, a beat-yourself-up-in-your-boss's-office scene and even a "Slide!" minigame with the main character's adorable power penguin. Check it out for yourself. Of course, spoilers follow.
- Comic Book Movie: Grant Gustin & John Wesley Shipp Spotted On The Set of THE FLASH
- Comic Book Movie: Marvel's AGENTS OF SHIELD: "End Of The Beginning" Episode Synopsis