Top Movie News for March 26, 2015
Every year we hear about the big breakout hit at the Sundance Film Festival that goes on to success in wide release. Sometimes the buzz is warranted and sometimes it is all hype for a mediocre film. This year's candidate is Rick Famuyima's DOPE which has just debuted an official teaser trailer unlike anything we have seen in a long time. The coming of age tale is a visual blend of 1980s and 1990s pop culture ranging... Read More...
- HitFix: 90's hip hop meets social media in first teaser trailer for Sundance hit 'Dope'
- Deadline: ‘Sundance’ Pic ‘Dope’ – Teaser Trailer
- Vulture: You Have to Watch the Unusual Trailer for Sundance Sensation Dope
- Deadline: ‘Dope’ Teaser Trailer: First Look At Sundance 2015’s Biggest Buy
- The Playlist: Watch: New Trailer For Sundance Award Winner 'Dope' With A$AP Rocky, Tony Revolori & More
- Film School Rejects: Dope Trailer: The Vibe is Alive with This Sundance Fave
- The Wrap: ‘Dope’ Trailer: First Look at Psychedelic, Genre-Defying Sundance Breakout (Video)
- FirstShowing.net: Watch: First Teaser Trailer for Sundance Comedy Sensation 'Dope'
- IndieWire: Watch: Experimental 'Dope' Trailer Teases Vibrant Coming-of-Age Story
- Badass Digest: Trailer For SLOW WEST, One Of This Year’s Best Sundance Films
- Shockya: Dope Gets A New Trailer
- Thompson on Hollywood: Magnolia Buys Sundance Drama 'Experimenter' Starring Peter Sarsgaard
- AintItCool: Relive the '90s with the Teaser Trailer for DOPE!
- Variety: Lifetime Acquires Sundance Fest Title ‘Stockholm, Pennsylvania’ Starring Saoirse Ronan
- SlashFilm: ‘Dope’ Teaser Trailer Is a Perfect Peek Into the Characters’ Lives
- MovieWeb: 'Dope' Trailer: 90s Hip-Hop Obsessed Teens Come of Age
- Entertainment Weekly: Watch the teaser for Inglewood-gone-awry 'Dope'
Last week we let you know that Downton Abbey, beloved period show and home for snarky old ladies, would be closing its doors following its sixth season. For those of you wanting to see more from the Crawley family you might be in luck; Downton Abbey executive producer Gareth Neame took questions from the press shortly after the official announcement and the subject of a possible film was brought up: Our... Read More...
- Thompson on Hollywood: 'Downton Abbey' Announces Final Season, and Possible Movie
- Variety: ‘Downton Abbey’ Ending: Spinoff or Movie to Follow Series?
- IndieWire: The Final Season of 'Downton Abbey': Why Deciding to End Well Is So Important
- The Playlist: 'Downton Abbey' Will End After Season 6, Final Episode To Air Christmas Day
- Variety: ‘Downton Abbey’ Ending After Season 6
- Deadline: ‘Downton Abbey’ Ending After Season 6: “Good To Quit While You’re Ahead”, Producer Says
- Vulture: Downton Abbey Is Officially Ending Next Season, But Will Anyone Actually End Up Happy?
- Rotten Tomatoes: News: Downton Abbey Ending After Season 6
- Moviefone: It's Official: 'Downton Abbey' to Close Doors After Season 6
- We Got This Covered: Downton Abbey Season 6 Confirmed As Its Last; Movie May Happen
- Deadline: ‘Downton Abbey’s Gareth Neame On Series End: “We Know Exactly The Story We Want To Tell” (6 Seasons & A Movie?)
- Dark Horizons: A "Downton Abbey" Movie Might Happen
- Variety: ‘Downton Abbey’ Producers on Spinoff Possibilities: ‘Why Wouldn’t You?’
- Digital Spy: Downton Abbey movie is being contemplated, says Gareth Neame
- Cinema Blend: Downton Abbey May Do A Feature Film
- Dark Horizons: "Vikings" Renewed, "Downton" Cancelled
Much like Catherine Hardwicke after TWILIGHT, behind the scenes shenanigans have forced Sam Taylor-Johnson to depart the franchise she helped introduce to movie-goers. After the success of FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, Taylor-Johnson will not return to direct the already announced FIFTY SHADES DARKER. There has been no official statement from the studio as to if a replacement has been found, but this could delay... Read More...
- Badass Digest: Director Sam Taylor-Johnson Is Officially Off The FIFTY SHADES Sequel
- Moviefone: 'Fifty Shades' Director Sam Taylor-Johnson Is Officially Leaving the Franchise
- Empire Magazine: Sam Taylor-Johnson Officially Exits Fifty Shades Darker
- The Playlist: Director Sam Taylor-Johnson & Writer Kelly Marcel Won't Return For 'Fifty Shades Of Grey' Sequel
- Cinema Blend: Fifty Shades Of Grey Director Officially Splits From Fifty Shades Darker
- SlashFilm: ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Sequel Officially Needs a New Director
- MTV Movies Blog: The ‘Fifty Shades Of Grey’ Sequel Officially Needs A New Director
- Vulture: The Reason the Fifty Shades of Grey Movie Worked Won’t Be Around for the Sequels
- Digital Spy: Emilia Clarke turned down Fifty Shades of Grey over nudity concerns
- ScreenRant: ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Director Not Returning for Sequel ‘Fifty Shades Darker’
- Dark Horizons: "Fifty Shades Darker" Needs New Director
- MovieWeb: 'Fifty Shades' Director Won't Return for 'Darker' Sequel
- Entertainment Weekly: 'Fifty Shades' sequel to get new director
- Fandango Movie Blog: News Briefs: Jason Segel Making Yet Another 'Lego Movie'; 'Fifty Shades' Director Exits
Star Wars Celebration is going to be kind of a big deal for fans of the epic franchise. In addition to directors, stars, producers and various behind the scenes talent from the very first film up to now, there will be panels, interactive events and…a screening of Revenge of the Sith in 3D, if you’re into that. Lucasfilm just made two pretty important additions to the lineup today, confirming Star Wars standalone film directors Gareth Edwards and Josh Trank — which means we could learn more about these two mysterious projects pretty soon. Continue reading…
- SlashFilm: ‘Star Wars’ Standalone Directors Gareth Edwards and Josh Trank Coming To Star Wars Celebration
- Coming Soon: Stand-Alone Star Wars Directors Gareth Edwards and Josh Trank Coming to Celebration
- Hollywood Reporter: 'Star Wars Celebration' Event Books Spinoff Directors Gareth Edwards, Josh Trank
- Dark Horizons: Mendelsohn Up For "Star Wars: Rogue One"?
- Digital Spy: Star Wars Battlefront receives Hoth teaser ahead of full reveal
- We Got This Covered: Ben Mendelsohn Rumored For Star Wars: Rogue One
- Digital Spy: Star Wars: New film, TV, book canon revealed in infographic
- Badass Digest: Ben Mendelsohn May Get A Role In STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE
- Twitch: Ben Mendelsohn Sought For STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE
- Film School Rejects: Star Wars: Rogue One May Have Its Male Lead
- ScreenRant: ‘Star Wars: Rogue One’: Ben Mendelsohn Circling a Lead Role
- IGN Movies: Dark Knight Rises Baddie May Join Star Wars Spinoff
- The Playlist: New Infographic Lays Out Canonical 'Star Wars' Timeline With Films, TV And Books
- Latino Review: Latest Casting Rumor For 'Star Wars: Rogue One'
- Screen Crush: Updated 'Star Wars' Timeline Details the Order of New Films, TV and Books
In the new comedy “Get Hard,” Will Ferrell gets a shock when his one-percent bubble is burst and he’s hit with the harsh realities of a gritty future after he’s indicted for fraud and embezzlement.
- Long Island Newsday: 'Get Hard' review: Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart score several laughs
- The Wrap: ‘Get Hard’ Reviews: Critics Slam Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart Prison Farce
- Variety: Kevin Hart Touts a ‘Tiny Message about Friendship’ in ‘Get Hard’
- USA Today: Ferrell, Hart team with a twist in 'Get Hard'
- Hollywood Reporter: Kevin Hart on 'Get Hard' Stereotypes: "It's About Making Fun of Ourselves"
- MTV Movies Blog: Kevin Hart Told Us What His Life Would Be Like Without ‘Get Hard,’ And It Sounds Pretty Deadly
- USA Today: Lowbrow 'Get Hard' deserves jail time
- USA Today: Hart, Ferrell's 'Get Hard' advice? Skip town
- Variety: Box Office: ‘Get Hard,’ ‘Home’ in Tight Race for First
- Moviefone: Weekend Movies: 'Get Hard,' 'Home,' 'While We're Young,' & More (VIDEO)
- USA Today: 5 reasons to see 'Get Hard' | USA Entertainment Now
- JoBlo: Review: Get Hard
- Twitch: Review: GET HARD, Two Men, Two Races, One Joke
- Entertainment Weekly: Box office preview: 'Home' faces off against 'Get Hard'
Twentieth Century Fox is giving the 1980's sci-fi buddy-cop film Alien Nation a reboot. THR reports that Iron Man scribes Art Marcum and Matt Holloway will handle the script for the first Alien Nation installment, which will be an origin story that explains how and why the aliens came to Earth. There are no producers attached yet. James Caan and Mandy Patinkin in 1988's Alien Nation.Continue reading…
- Dark Horizons: "Alien Nation" Reboot On The Way
- Comic Book Movie: ALIEN NATION Remake In The Works At Fox
- SlashFilm: ‘Alien Nation’ Remake in the Works at Fox
- AintItCool: The Reboot-O-Tron Selects: ALIEN NATION…
- We Got This Covered: Fox Developing Remake Of 80s Sci-Fi Movie Alien Nation
- Cinema Blend: Alien Nation Is Getting Remade, Get The Details
- Badass Digest: A Nation Prepares For An ALIEN NATION Remake
- Empire Magazine: Fox Wants To Revisit The Alien Nation
- Latino Review: 'Alien Nation' Getting The 'Planet of The Apes' Treatment
- Film School Rejects: The Alien Nation Remake Might Sound Too Much Like District 9
- FirstShowing.net: Fox Plans Remake of 80s Sci-Fi 'Alien Nation' from 'Iron Man' Writers
Yesterday marked the one year wait for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Today, we are one day closer to seeing this epic DC Comics movie play out on the big screen, and 5 character portraits richer for our troubles. Thus far, director Zack Snyder has been kind enough to offer a look at his superheroes Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. And then yesterday, he finally unveiled the very bald Lex Luthor. We've collected them all for you to see here!Can you believe it's been almost two years since Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was first announced at Comic-Con 2013?
- Entertainment Weekly: 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- We Got This Covered: Rumored Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice Plot Reveals Reason Behind The Titular Pair’s Titanic Showdown
- Moviefone: Here's Your First Look at Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' (PHOTO)
- Cinema Blend: What's Going To Happen To Aquaman During Batman V Superman?
- We Got This Covered: Cleaner Image Of Jason Momoa In Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice; Aquaman’s Suicide Squad Link Revealed?
- ScreenRant: ‘Batman V Superman’ Rumor: Why The Heroes Begin Their Battle
- Latino Review: Surprising Theory Behind The Fight In 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice'
- Comic Book Movie: Possible SPOILER On Another Way SUICIDE SQUAD Connects With BATMAN V SUPERMAN
- Comic Book Movie: BATMAN v SUPERMAN: Textless 'Aquaman' Image Officially Released By Warner Bros.
Last month we learned 300 and G.I. JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA scribe Michael Gordon had been hired to write the script for Warner Bros.' live-action ROBOTECH movie, but now Variety is reporting Sony Pictures has picked up the film rights to the animated series. Gordon will still pen the script for the adaptation, and Hollywood Gang's Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton are also still attached to the planned... Read More...
- Latino Review: Sony Nabs Rights To 'Robotech,' Movie Franchise In The Works
- Empire Magazine: Sony Scores Rights To Robotech
- ScreenRant: ‘Robotech’ Live-Action Movie Acquired by Sony for Potential Franchise
- Dark Horizons: Sony Plans "Robotech" Film Franchise
- Badass Digest: Sony Plans ROBOTECH As A Live Action Movie Franchise
- Deadline: Warner Bros Wins Visionary Viral Short ‘Sundays’ Auction; You Gotta See What $51,000 Can Look Like Onscreen
- Cinema Blend: Robotech Building A Sci-Fi Franchise At Sony, Get The Details
- FirstShowing.net: Sony Pictures Picks Up 'Robotech' Anime for Feature Film Franchise
Tom Ford made his directorial debut with the film A Single Man, and now, six years later, he is pulling together a cast for his follow-up. The new film is Nocturnal Animals, based on the book Tony and Susan by Austin Wright.
- Digital Spy: Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal lined up for Tom Ford's Nocturnal Animals
- JoBlo: Amy Adams & Jake Gyllenhaal in talks for Tom Ford's Nocturnal Animals
- We Got This Covered: Amy Adams And Jake Gyllenhaal Are Circling Nocturnal Animals
- Empire Magazine: Jake Gyllenhaal And Amy Adams On For Nocturnal Animals
- FirstShowing.net: Amy Adams & Jake Gyllenhaal May Become 'Nocturnal Animals' Next
- MovieWeb: Jake Gyllenhaal &amp; Amy Adams Team for 'Nocturnal Animals'
- Thompson on Hollywood: Jake Gyllenhaal and Amy Adams Eye Tom Ford's New Film
- Dark Horizons: Gyllenhaal, Adams Join "Nocturnal"
I know a lot of people weren't crazy about Star Trek Into Darkness, but I have to say, aside from the title, I had a good time with it.
- Hollywood Reporter: Simon Pegg: 'Star Trek 3' Will Bring "Spirit of the TV Show" to Movie Franchise
- JoBlo: Simon Pegg says Star Trek 3 will take us where no one has gone before
- IGN Movies: Pegg: Star Trek 3 Is About Adventure & Optimism
- MTV Movies Blog: Will Ferrell Singing The ‘Star Trek’ Theme Is A Thing Of Haunting Beauty: Watch
- FirstShowing.net: Will Ferrell Sings the Signature 'Star Trek' Theme Song Like an Angel
- SlashFilm: Sequel Bits: ‘Furious 7′, ‘Star Trek 3′, ‘Independence Day 2′, ‘Mallrats 2′, ‘Zoolander 2′
Anchorman director Adam McKay came pretty close to directing Ant-Man before Marvel brought Peyton Reed in to replace Edgar Wright. While McKay’s scheduling conflicts wouldn’t allow for the director to direct for the studio last year, he still lent a helping hand, working with Paul Rudd to spruce up the screenplay a bit. Apparently McKay made something of an impression on Marvel — rumor has it they’re eyeing him to direct an upcoming project. Continue reading…
- We Got This Covered: Marvel Reportedly In Talks With Anchorman’s Adam McKay To Direct Superhero Film
- The Playlist: Marvel Reportedly Wants Adam McKay To Direct One Of Their Movies
- Dark Horizons: Marvel Pursues Adam McKay To Direct
- Chud: Rumor du Jour: Adam McKay Will Direct A Marvel Movie
- SlashFilm: Rumor: Adam McKay in Line to Direct a Marvel Studios Film
- ScreenRant: ‘Ant-Man’ Writer Adam McKay ‘On-Deck’ to Direct a Future Marvel Film?
DreamWorks Animation, as a company, is poised at a precarious juncture. The animation studio, founded by former Disney exec Jeffrey Katzenberg and, at one point, a genuine challenger to their throne, has been crippled by a string of financial disappointments which have led to a dramatic corporate restructuring, consolidation of efforts. There is talk that, if things continue like they have, insolvency by 2019 will ensue. Last year DWA released three movies.
- MTV Movies Blog: Can Rihanna Dance Like The Aliens From ‘Home’? We Asked Her
- Long Island Newsday: 'Home' review: Novel turned comedy
- USA Today: 'Home' looks friendly, but all too familiar
- Vulture: CSI: Cyber Screencap Recap: Wi-Fi Will Burn Down Your Home
- Twitch: Review: HOME, Awfully Sugary But Not Sweet
The television show Extra got to do some interviewing on set for the upcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron and now they get to show it. “Extra” special correspondent Tasmin Lucia-Khan was on the set of “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” catching up with stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner and Mark Ruffalo. The superheroes dished on the blockbuster sequel, saying the pressure is on director Joss Whedon to top the original “Avengers.” Robert Downey Jr.
- Digital Spy: Watch Avengers: Age of Ultron teaser: It's Hulk vs the Hulkbuster
- Latino Review: Spanking New International TV Spot Hits for 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- Cinema Blend: Captain America Drop Kicks An Ultron Bot In Avengers 2 International Clip
- Dark Horizons: "Ultron" Gives Hulk Stretchy Slacks
The currently untitled Smurfs reboot was originally planned for a summer of 2016 release, but Sony Pictures Animation announced Wednesday that the film has been pushed to March 31, 2017. The reboot is a fully animated feature with no connection to the recent animated/live action hybrid films.
- Dark Horizons: "Smurfs" Reboot Pushed To 2017
- SlashFilm: Fully Animated ‘Smurfs’ Reboot Coming in 2017
- FirstShowing.net: Fully Animated Reboot of 'The Smurfs' is Arriving in Spring of 2017
- MovieWeb: 'The Smurfs' Animated Movie Delayed Until 2017
Welcome to Screen Rant’s “Geek Picks,” where we collect the finest movie-related geekery from around the Web. Today you’ll find a musical recap of Game Of Thrones first season; Groot vs Hodor in a rap battle; and a Sylvester Stallone kill count.
- ScreenRant: SR Geek Picks: Honest ‘Hobbit Part 3′ Trailer, Groot vs. Hodor & More
- Cinema Blend: Every Sylvester Stallone Kill In One Epic Supercut
- IndieWire: Watch: 'Game of Thrones' Queen Emilia Clarke Can't Ride Horses But Loves Fruit
- Coming Soon: Go Inside the Stunts of Game of Thrones Season 5 in New Featurette
- We Got This Covered: New Featurette Explores The Stunts On Game Of Thrones Season 5
Just two weeks after the first trailer debuted for Hotel Transylvania 2, Sony Pictures Animation has released a new poster, showing off the "Drac Pack." The poster features Dracula (Adam Sandler), his daughter Mavis (Selena Gomez), Frank(enstein) (Kevin James), Murray the Mummy (Keegan Michael Key), Wayne the Werewolf (Steve Buscemi) and Griffin the Invisible Man (David Spade). Everything seems to be changing for the better at Hotel Transylvania.
In 2009, the year started with renewed hope for a sequel to Super Troopers. Obviously that didn’t happen. To give it some perspective, that was already 8 years after Farva and friends originally punch-a-sized our faces for free. Now we’re 14 years in, and Broken Lizard has successfully rocked a crowdfunding campaign to make Super Troopers 2 a reality. If you have high hopes for what they can make, you might also be worried that nothing can stand up to the movie in your mind. The one you’ve waited 14 years for.
- Moviefone: 'Super Troopers 2' Reaches Crowdfunding Goal in 1 Day
- Empire Magazine: Super Troopers 2 Is A Go
- The Wrap: ‘Super Troopers 2’ Reaches $2 Million Crowdfunding Goal; Will Budget Get Higher?
While not prolific in the vein of Woody Allen, Pedro Almodovar usually doesn't let two or three years pass without delivering a new movie. And right on schedule, his next effort, "Silencio," is gearing up. Word first emerged on the project at the beginning of the year, and now much more has been revealed as casting has been put in place.
- Hollywood Reporter: Pedro Almodovar Unveils 'Silencio' Cast
- Deadline: Pedro Almodovar Unveils Cast For New Pic ‘Silencio’
- Thompson on Hollywood: Pedro Almodóvar Reveals Cast for His Next Film, 'Silencio'
[Potential MILD SPOILERS for Suicide Squad ahead!] - There are currently a whole lot of rumors surrounding Warner Bros./DC’s two 2016 movie releases: director Zack Snyder’s superhero crossover Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice and writer/director David Ayer’s super-villain adventure Suicide Squad.
It's no secret that TERMINATOR: GENISYS is the first in a planned trilogy, and while there's been tidbits dropped here and there, let's assemble a bit of what we do know along with some new information. It's worth noting that if you'd rather walk into this new trilogy blind, you'll probably want to avoid the remainder of this article. Of... Read More...
The end of the '70s was a transitional time for Woody Allen. After making a name as the master of goofy comedies and satires, he gravitated towards drama at the end of the decade. “Annie Hall” and especially “Manhattan” contained many insightful dramatic moments, even though they were categorized as romantic comedies. Sandwiched in between those two films was the uber-drama “Interiors," Allen’s fittingly dour tribute to his idol Ingmar Bergman.
It’s been long speculated, but up until now, fan favorite Mortal Kombat character Liu Kang has remained elusive from X‘s confirmed fighter list. Today, NetherRealm finally revealed him as playable in the game. You can grab your first look at him in this trailer. There is bunch of other story stuff going on here too, so if you are in the game for the lore, this should scratch an itch. Not that I know many people ‘into’ the lore of Mortal Kombat.
The phrase “generation gap” was popularized in the late 1960s to illustrate the wide divide between the men and women who grew up with the Depression and World War II and their counter-cultural progeny, but as with many ideas the baby boomers think they invented, it’s been around for a long time.
Related stories from TheWrap:'Furious 7' Features 'Touching' Paul Walker Tribute (Video)'Mentalist' Star Owain Yeoman Cast as 'Supergirl' VillainEvolution of 'The Fast and the Furious' Franchise (Photos)'While We're Young' Review: Ben Stiller Navigates the Gen X-Millennial Gap'Breakfast Club' Secrets Revealed! Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy Spill Casting and Behind-the-Scenes Stories (Video)
Most romantic comedies are pretty formulaic and predictable, but every now and then one comes along to shake things up a bit. I'm hoping that's the case with a new road trip sexy comedy called The Layover being produced by Unified Pictures and Bron Studios. Kate Upton (The Other Woman) and Lea Michele ("Glee") will star in the film about two lifelong best friends who decide to avoid their problems by taking a vacation only to find that their plane has been rerouted due to a hurricane warning.
Craig Zadan and Neil Meron are not returning to produce the 88th Academy Awards next year.http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/in-contention
Now remember, this article probably contains SPOILERS if you didn’t watch Arrow yet this week. A whole lot happened in the latest Arrow episode, Suicidal Tendencies. A wedding, an overseas mission, a battle between two heroes, secrets revealed and a cliffhanger ending. Here are the top moments from the episode: 1) This whole season has been about identity and finding the balance between being a hero and having a life. Though most of the time we see the struggle with Oliver Queen and now some with Ray Palmer...
The AMC series Halt and Catch Fire was renewed for a second season back in August of last year, and now the show’s returning premiere date is set. The Halt and Catch Fire S2 premiere is set to air on AMC on May 31, which is just two weeks after the network’s signature show Mad Men will finish up its run. Variety reports on the premiere date.
The two kids pictured above, the leads in Jay Dockendorf's Naz & Maalik, are Muslim, gay, and black -- in Bed-Stuy, no less. As an audience member you fear for them. Only to realize that they are one step ahead of you. To embody all three of these identities is to walk with a strength only fear can grant you. Yet, Jay Dockendorf doesn't give the beautiful young men at the center of Naz & Maalik any chance to register that fear as they move through the city hawking their wares, saving up for a chance to get away.
DEAN AND ROWENA FACE OFF AGAINST EACH OTHER - Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Castiel (Misha Collins) follow up on a lead about the Mark of Cain. Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Rowena (guest star Ruth Connell) meet. Rashaad Ernesto Green directed this episode written by Andrew Dabb Buckner (#1017). The thrilling and terrifying journey of Sam and Dean Winchester (Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles) continues as SUPERNATURAL enters its tenth season.
Nick Antosca to script the next Jason VoorheesThere's been an eerie silence at Crystal Lake since the 2009 Platinum Dunes Friday The 13th, which was followed only by legal tangles and creative problems. Since then there's been talk of a new TV series, but the 13th film in the franchise is now moving forward again too. David Bruckner, as previously reported, is directing, and the film now has a new screenwriter in Hannibal's Nick Antosca.Last we heard, Damian Shannon and Mark Swift (Freddy Vs.
- Latino Review: ‘Hannibal’ Writer Hired To Pen ‘Friday The 13th’
- Badass Digest: HANNIBAL Producer Nick Antosca To Pen FRIDAY THE 13th
It's Harry's gameWe’ve had protocols, ultimatums, even then the odd quantum, but now it’s time to embrace the notion of ‘the greater good’. The Spooks motion picture – Spooks: The Greater Good to give it its full title – gets bundled blindfolded out of an unmarked van and into our cinemas in May and it has a new trailer to share with the world.
- Digital Spy: Watch the thrilling new trailer for Spooks: The Greater Good
- Dark Horizons: Full Trailer: "Spooks: The Greater Good"
As if having Katniss herself wasn't enough, "It's What I Do" has yet another "Mockingjay" connection.
Netflix has come a long way from those little red envelopes full of DVDs. Today the movies-by-mail rental company is a full-fledged movie and television studio with an impressive slate of original films, documentaries, mini-series, and cartoons. And they keep adding new content constantly; a week after Season 3 of the acclaimed series House of Cards, they unveiled Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt from Tina Fey; two weeks later they debuted Bloodline starring Friday Night Lights’s Kyle Chandler. Continue reading…
AMC The final handful of Mad Men episodes starts rolling out in a little over a week, and to celebrate, Film Independent is doing some screening conversations at LACMA tonight and tomorrow. There’s also a new exhibit at the Museum of the Moving Image, which is showing a series of movies through June 14th that were mandatory viewing for the people working on Matthew Weiner’s show. Luckily, we can play along at home. Here are those ten movies and where you can find them (if you can find them online). To see what Weiner had to say about each entry, check out the LAist’s story.
Verve Talent and Literary Agency is launching Verve Ventures, a global business development initiative within the company that will be run by international sales veteran Amy Beecroft. Verve Ventures will focus on creative strategic partnerships in the international and domestic film and television space, including finance and sales, digital distribution, and the development of new technologies such as Virtual Reality on a global scale. Beecroft brings to Verve a wealth of experience, having worked at many of the top companies in the international space during her career including First Look/Ov
If you got February’s Lootcrate or are one of the many many folks who purchased Ernest Cline’s hit sci-fi novel, Ready Player One, then you are probably geeked at the idea that Steven Spielberg is going to direct the film adaptation of the novel. In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he’s jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS.
- We Got This Covered: The Hunger Games Scribe Peter Craig To Write Steven Spielberg’s It’s What I Do
- MTV Movies Blog: We’re Ready To See These Actors In ‘Ready Player One’
Max Landis is a divisive character in Hollywood. Those in the industry either love him or hate his guts, a sentiment shared by the Internet. But, Landis is also not shy about his opinions or his projects. Last year, we shared his batshit crazy screenplay for a Super Mario Bros movie and now the screenwriter is back with another movie plot/fan fiction. In the wake of the GHOSTBUSTERS reboot(s), Landis has... Read More...
When X-Men: Apocalypse hits theaters on May 27, 2016, it'll have a different actress playing the mutant Jubilee than the one we first saw roaming the halls of Professor X's school in X-Men. Director Bryan Singer has revealed he's cast a complete unknown in the role, a newcomer named Lana Condor. I'd officially like to welcome our newest mutant #JubilationLee, #Jubilee @LanaCondor to #XMEN #Apocalypse A photo posted by Bryan...Read MoreRead Comments
Briefly: Even though Michael Keaton didn't win an Oscar for his performance in Birdman, it sounds like The Weinstein Company thinks he's got another chance with his next project The Founder. Keaton is playing Ray Kroc, the salesman from Illinois who picked up a burger operation in 1950s Southern California and turned it into McDonald's, which would become a multi-billion dollar fast-food chain in the world.
Kevin Smith‘s career changing movie Red State could have gone in a very different direction. Smith has gone on the record saying that he had a different ending of the film in mind when he first wrote the script. However, he they realized the budget was only $4 million, he scrapped the bigger ending in favor of something smaller and quieter. In other interviews, Smith has said what he wanted that ending to be but – in case you haven’t read it – I won’t say it here.
- Shock Till You Drop: Kevin Smith Animates Gory Red State Alternate Ending
- Entertainment Weekly: Kevin Smith's dream 'Red State' ending: We animated it
Meet the men of Project Castor...For the past two seasons of sci-fi drama Orphan Black, we’ve largely been treated to the sight of Tatiana Maslany nimbly portraying six very different – if genetically identical – women (and Tony, who is Transgender), the clones at the central of a medical mystery.
- Comic Book Movie: Meet The Deadly Castor Clones In New ORPHAN BLACK Promo; Plus New Stills & Banner
- We Got This Covered: The Sisterhood Are Stalked By The Wolf Pack In New Orphan Black Trailer
The first teaser trailer for the next James Bond film, SPECTRE, will be revealed tomorrow, March 27 at 4.45pm PT / 7.45pm ET/ 11.45pm GMT. The teaser will be hosted on the official 007 site and will offer our first glimpse into the plot of the flick, which will see Bond following a cryptic message from his past that sets him off on a trail to uncover a sinister organisation, while M plays politics to keep the secret service alive. SPECTRE, the 24th official Bond film, is helmed by Skyfall director Sam Mendes and features a returning Daniel Craig alongside Christoph Waltz, Monica Bellucci, Naom
Spider-Man learns just how strong Ant-Man really is when confronts him one on one! Marvel's most popular super hero, Spider-Man, swings into a new season in "Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors," premiering SUNDAY, AUGUST 31 (9:00 a.m. ET) on the Marvel Universe programming block on Disney XD. Accompanied by Nova, Iron Fist, Power Man and White Tiger, Spider-Man and the team take on dangerous S.H.I.E.L.D. missions and encounter some of their most thrilling adventures yet. The new season begins with Spider-Man accepting an invitation to become an Avenger.
Cate Blanchett got surprisingly R rated during a press junket interview for her new live-action “Cinderella” movie. “OK, serious question: How were you able to get that cat to do what you wanted to on a leash?” Australian TV host Jonathan Hyla asked.
With Furious 7 making its way into theaters next week, all eyes have been on the cast lately as they make the rounds promoting the first big blockbuster of 2015. One actor, in particular, is garnering a great deal of attention because of activities that don't pertain to Furious 7 at all. Tyrese Gibson has been using social media to get the word out, for quite some time, that he'd like to play John Stewart in a new Green Lantern movie. Here's the most recent example, from his Instagram page: My message to the comic book fans.....
- Cinema Blend: Tyrese Still Really Wants To Make Green Lantern
As a new host in a new city,Â The Late Late Showâs James Corden has to figure out everything about his routine, including his morning commute. Luckily for him, he has some help from Mariah Carey to entertain him while navigating Los Angeles. Carey and Corden performed a round of carpool...
- Thompson on Hollywood: Watch: James Corden's Carpool Karaoke Session with Mariah Carey
Share your vision of the future! Inspired by the upcoming Disney movie Tomorrowland The Walt Disney Studios, Disney Citizenship, and XPRIZE announce a nationwide challenge for young innovators.
Adopt Films Effie Gray opens with the telling of a fairy tale – not a particularly happy one, as it’s rooted in death, but still a fairy tale – that sets the stage for Richard Laxton’s laconic, lush, somewhat misguided, and occasionally boring look inside the bizarre and twisted marriage of Gray (Dakota Fanning) and John Ruskin (Greg Wise). That slim prologue is an odd entry point for the film, one that hints at the picture’s real roots while also avoiding making it plain that Effie Gray is based on a true story.
- USA Today: Fanning is a Victorian bride in 'Effie Gray'
It pains me to give a Noah Baumbach film anything less than a glowing review, especially considering there is so much that works about his new film, While We're Young. The premise is his most appealing to date, which, at a glance, involves a couple named Josh and Cornelia (Ben Stiller and Naomi Watts), struggling to come to terms with their mid-life status -- a most vexing topic indeed, and one surely perfect for Baumbach's sensibilities.
- USA Today: "While We're Young' mocks the cool factor
Marvel Studios and Entertainment Weekly have released the newest Art of Evolution poster for Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The piece is done by Delicious Designs League and features Bobbi Morse / Mockingbird (Adrianne Palicki) in next week’s episode: One Door Closes. The episode focuses on the OTHER SHIELD with Bobbi and Mac going after Coulson’s SHIELD. Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD airs Tuesdays on ABC. [Source: EW.com] Delicious Designs League Focus On Mockingbird For The Art Of Evolution
For those of you caught up on your sketch comedy, you're probably familiar with the oftentimes brilliant Key & Peele that airs on Comedy Central. The show stars (you guessed it) Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele as they run the gamut of colorful characters throughout several pre-taped sketches. One of the more popular ones as of late is that of a hardened, inner-city substitute... Read More...
'Nobody's going down without a fight!' Declares the new poster for the exciting action thriller Kung Fu Killer. We also have the trailer for this twisted slice of Hong Kong cinema. Teddy Chan directs Donnie Yen in what is sure to be the best martial arts movie released this April, with fights that top even those seen in the blockbuster Furious 7!A vicious serial killer is targeting top martial arts masters, and convicted criminal and kung-fu master Hahou (Donnie Yen) is the only one with the skills to stop him.
- Film School Rejects: Kung Fu Killer Trailer: Donnie Yen Remains Terrifying
Some comedians burn brightly then fade away. Surfing a hit TV series or breakout supporting role to a movie lead, sometimes even a hit one, they can become overexposed, or have too many flops, and find themselves returning to relative obscurity or more modest creative pursuits. Will Ferrell is not one of those people. 2015 marks twenty years since he first appeared on “Saturday Night Live,” on which he quickly became one of the most valuable players.
Doggedly heavy on allegory, Hungarian director Kornél Mundruczó's White God (originally Fehér Isten) has a relatively simple premise: beware the comeuppance for those that treat badly those they believe to be inferior. At its heart, the film plays as if Samuel Peckinpaw [sic] directed The Incredible Journey, that Disney Animal film referenced in last year's Cannes hit Inside Llewyn Davis. The title was at first a mystery and mere pun, but appears to at least partially be a play on White Dog, Sam Fuller's 1982 dog fighting flick.
A new month approaches which means one thing. The free games for Xbox And PlayStation are just around the corner. The Xbox’s titles have gone public and it’s a pretty extensive list, especially if you are still rocking a 360. First off, the fairy tale RPG Child of Light and Pool Nation FX are your titles for Xbox One through the month. While I didn’t love all of Child of Light‘s mechanics, there is plenty to enjoy here. I’d certainly encourage you to give it a try. If you are on Xbox 360 mind, you’ve got four titles headed your way.
- We Got This Covered: Child Of Light Headlines Microsoft’s April Games With Gold Line-Up
The Fantastic Four comic may be ending next month with issue #645, but it seems at least one member of Marvel's First Family will have a new place to call home. Johnny Storm, aka the Human Torch, will join the ranks of Charles Soule's Uncanny Inhumans alongside Inferno (apparently they needed 2 fire-guys), Medusa, Naja, Triton, and Iso. Storm does actually have some history with the Inhumans, as Marvel senior editor Nick Lowe points out in an interview with Wired UK. "It's fitting that the first Marvel hero to encounter the Inhumans is joining up with them.
There is no shortage of places on the web where you can get curated lists of the best films in any genre (including here), but few of them can match the encyclopedic cinematic mind of Quentin Tarantino. A walking library of movie trivia, anecdotes, and much more, the filmmaker's video store roots are apparent anytime he shares his passionate wealth of knowledge. So today, dive deep with the director and his love of spaghetti westerns. Open Culture dug up the list Tarantino provided SWDB circa the filming of "Inglourious Basterds" of this 20 favorite spaghetti westerns.
- Thompson on Hollywood: Quentin Tarantino Lists His 20 Favorite Spaghetti Westerns
When I went down to play Borderland’s: The Handsome Collection at 2K’s offices the other week, I noticed some significant frame rate and tearing issues in the game. It was never awful, but still not what you’d want from a next-gen remaster. It seems the issue has persisted past launch too, but Gearbox have acknowledged the issue and say they are working on it. On their forums (via VideoGamer), community developer Joe King said: Just wanted to pop in and ease everyone’s minds a bit.
Catalina Sandino Moreno also set for the courtroom dramaThough he’s more normally known for his theatre work, Into The Woods writer James Lapine does have some history behind the camera, though his last directorial job was 1993’s Life With Mikey. He’s back for a courtroom drama called Custody, which will star Viola Davis and Catalina Sandino Moreno.Custody, as you might predict from that title, sees Davis as the judge overseeing an emotional custody case, which finds Moreno desperate to keep her children.
This is a reprint of our review from the 2014 Telluride Film Festival. 25 years ago, director Wim Wenders’ discovered the haunting black-and-white artwork of celebrated Brazilian photographer Sebastião Salgado.
Dave Boyle’s “Man From Reno” is the type of film where alleyways are home offices, every bar matchbox has an unknown number inside, and if a character enters a bookshop, you better believe old issues of “True Detective” are hanging visibly in frame. Boyle, who previously made festival favorite “White on Rice," plunges his first genre entry into the annals of film noir.
January Jones' take on Emma Frost in Matthew Vaughn's X-Men: First Class received something of a mixed response despite her stellar work in Man Men. Following rumours that she fell pregnant after an affair with a possibly married co-worker on the set of Fox's Marvel movie, no one realy expected to see her return for X-Men: Days of Future Past anyway. She didn't, and hasn't been mentioned as being considered for X-Men: Apocalypse either. However, those of you who enjoyed Jones' take on Emma Frost will surely enjoy these far from frosty images of the stunning actress....
- Empire Magazine: Armando Iannnucci Plans New David Copperfield
1. Divergent Series: Insurgent, TheGross: $52,263,680Total: $52,263,680
2. CinderellaGross: $34,967,659Total: $122,516,793
3. Run All NightGross: $5,032,323Total: $19,639,211
4. Gunman, TheGross: $5,028,702Total: $5,028,702
Gross: $4,627,340Total: $114,597,783