Top Movie News for January 18, 2017
Star Wars fans will probably never agree on the prequels; some love them, most hate them, but these cool new posters by Eric Tan are awesome regardless of how you feel about the movies themselves! Bottleneck Gallery will sell these The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith posters tomorrow from noon EST. Measuring 12 x 36 inches, they're limited to 250 editions apiece and will retail for $40 each or $140 for the set. Interestingly, Tan isn't a fan of the prequels either, so he went out of his way to find the best of those movies to display here.
- Badass Digest: Some Good News And Some Bad News About STAR TREK: DISCOVERY
- Hollywood Reporter: Watch 'Star Wars: A New Hope' in Less Than 90 Seconds
- IGN Movies: New Star Wars Rebels Clip: Sabine Wields the Darksaber
- ScreenRant: Star Wars 8 Co-Star Laura Dern Praises Carrie Fisher
- SlashFilm: Cool Stuff: Moana, Trick ‘R Treat, Jaws, Star Wars, Lost
- JoBlo: Disney XD releases Star Wars Rebels clip about the legend of the Darksaber
- Variety: ‘The Space Between Us’ Star Asa Butterfield Discusses His Favorite Thing About Earth
- IGN Movies: Star Trek: Discovery Debut Pushed Back Again
- Vulture: Star Trek: Discovery Casts Spock’s Father, Pushes Back Its Release Once Again
- Deadline: A+ Voice Cast Shines For Sony Pictures Animation’s ‘The Star’
- Hollywood Reporter: Steven Yeun of 'The Walking Dead,' Keegan-Michael Key, Kelly Clarkson Cast in Animated Christmas Movie 'The Star'
- We Got This Covered: James Frain Climbs Aboard Star Trek: Discovery As CBS Delays Premiere (Again)
- The A.V. Club: Newswire: Chance The Rapper, Justin Bieber, and more star in Skrillex’s swanky short film
- Dark Horizons: James Frain Is Sarek In “Star Trek: Discovery”
- Fandango Movie Blog: News Briefs: 'Hobbit' Star Richard Armitage Joins 'Ocean's Eight'
- Comic Book Movie: GOTHAM's James Frain Joins The Cast Of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY As Spock's Father Sarek
- SlashFilm: ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Casts Spock’s Father, Sarek; Production Begins Next Week
- JoBlo: Star Trek Discovery casts Spock's Father, also Spock's father is on the show
- Bleeding Cool: Star Trek: Discovery Slipping Its Launch Window (Again), Casts Spock’s Father
- ScreenRant: Ready Player One Star Teases Motion-Capture OASIS & Avatars
It’s a given that when people hear the name Spider-Man, their minds immediately associate the character's heroic and quiptastic antics with that of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko’s Peter Parker. However, comic book continuity is a continuously revolving door when it comes to who wears a costume and when. Traditionally speaking, Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Though in recent times, after... Read More...
- IGN Movies: Spider-Man: Miles Morales Hero of Sony's Animated Film
- Comic Book Movie: Miles Morales Confirmed For Sony's Animated SPIDER-MAN Movie As First Test Footage Screens
- Screen Crush: Miles Morales Confirmed as Spider-Man in Sony's New Animated Film
- Coming Soon: Sony’s Animated Spider-Man Film to Feature Miles Morales!
- Vulture: The Long-Teased Miles Morales Animated Spider-Man Movie Is Coming Next Winter
- Deadline: Sony’s Untitled ‘Spider-Man’ Animated Film To Feature Miles Morales As Lead Character
- We Got This Covered: Miles Morales Confirmed For Sony’s Animated Spider-Man Movie
- Dark Horizons: Miles Morales IS The New Animated Spider-Man
- AintItCool: Phil Lord and Chris Miller's Animated SPIDER-MAN movie will follow Miles Morales!
- The Wrap: Sony’s Animated Spider-Man Movie to Feature Miles Morales
- ScreenRant: Miles Morales & Directors Confirmed for Animated Spider-Man Movie
- MovieWeb: Spider-Man Animated Movie Is the Miles Morales Story
- Latino Review: Peter Parker Out! Miles Morales In! For Lead In Animated SPIDER-MAN Movie
- Hollywood Reporter: Miles Morales Confirmed to Lead Sony Animation's Spider-Man Feature
- Badass Digest: Lord & Miller’s SPIDER-MAN Movie Will Tell The Miles Morales Story
- Moviefone: Sony's New Animated 'Spider-Man' Movie Will Put a Fan-Favorite Behind the Mask
- Cinema Blend: One Major Change The Animated Spider-Man Movie Will Make To Its Spidey
- AintItCool: Holy Donkey Di.. Sony's Animated Film THE STAR gets announced!!!
- ScreenRant: Spider-Man: Homecoming Gets an 8-Bit Trailer
Sony Pictures announces their cast line-up for The Emoji Movie which features X-Men star Patrick Stewart as Poop.
- USA Today: Sir Patrick Stewart to voice Poop Emoji in 'The Emoji Movie'
- Vulture: Sir Patrick Stewart Will Voice the Poop Emoji in the Emoji Movie
- ScreenRant: Sir Patrick Stewart Voicing Poop Emoji in The Emoji Movie
- Badass Digest: Patrick Stewart Will Voice THE EMOJI MOVIE’s Poop Emoji
- Hollywood Reporter: Patrick Stewart to Voice Poop Emoji in 'Emoji Movie'
- AintItCool: Sir Patrick Stewart, star of stage and screen, takes on his most challenging role to date: Poop.
- Moviefone: 'The Emoji Movie' Casts Patrick Stewart as Poop
- The A.V. Club: Newswire: Holy shit, Patrick Stewart is the poop in The Emoji Movie
- Screen Crush: Well, Patrick Stewart Is Gonna Voice the Poop Emoji for 'The Emoji Movie,' Maya Rudolph Also Cast
- We Got This Covered: The Emoji Movie Fills Out Voice Cast With Patrick Stewart, Jennifer Coolidge And More
- Dark Horizons: “Emoji Movie,” “The Star” Score More Cast
- The Wrap: Maya Rudolph Set for Sony’s ‘Emoji Movie’
Following on the heels of Fox’s resurrection of the X-Files last year for a limited-run season, and Twin Peaks waiting in the wings at Showtime, NBC has decided to pull Will & Grace out of the closet.
- We Got This Covered: Will & Grace To Return With 10-Episode Season
- Variety: Katy Tur, Hallie Jackson Get Expanded Duties at NBC News, MSNBC
- Variety: ‘This Is Us’ Renewed for Seasons 2 and 3 at NBC
- Deadline: ‘This Is Us’ Renewed For Second & Third Seasons By NBC – TCA
- The A.V. Club: Newswire: Dick Wolf doesn’t seem to care if NBC airs its SVU Trump episode
- The A.V. Club: Newswire: UPDATED: NBC thinks This Is Us has at least 2 more seasons of twists in it
- Vulture: NBC Renews This Is Us for Two More Seasons, Recruits Katie Couric and Brian Tyree Henry
- Dark Horizons: “Will & Grace” Confirmed For Ten New Eps
- IndieWire: ‘Will & Grace’: 5 Big Issues the Groundbreaking Sitcom’s Revival Has to Address (Or Does It?)
- Vulture: Why the Will & Grace Reboot Is Likely to Succeed
- Deadline: ‘Days Of Our Lives’: NBC Executives Hopeful Daytime Drama Would Return Next Season
As fans await to see if Deadpool can cash in on any of its prestigious awards nominations, 20th Century Fox has started to put the pieces together on the sequel, Deadpool 2. The dynamic trio of star/producer Ryan Reynolds and co-writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are all returning, and this time director David Leitch will be the one calling the shots (after Tim Miller left the project). Reportedly, the plan is to begin principal photography in June 2017.
- We Got This Covered: Deadpool Creator Rob Liefeld Weighs In On Where Things Stand With Casting Cable
- ScreenRant: Deadpool 2: What Pierce Brosnan Could Look Like As Cable
- Latino Review: Has DEADPOOL 2 Finally Found Its Cable?! Can it Be?!
- MovieWeb: What Pierce Brosnan Looks Like as Cable in Deadpool 2
- Comic Book Movie: Cool New Fan-Art Imagines What Pierce Brosnan Could Look Like As Cable In DEADPOOL 2
- We Got This Covered: No Big X-Men Cameos Planned For Deadpool 2
- Cinema Blend: How Deadpool 2 Will Address The First Movie's Success, According To Ryan Reynolds
- Latino Review: Don't Expect Any Major X-MEN Crossovers In DEADPOOL Sequel, Say Writers
- ScreenRant: Deadpool 2: No ‘A-List’ X-Men Cameos Planned
- JoBlo: Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead to return in Deadpool 2
- MovieWeb: Deadpool 2 Won't Include Any Major X-Men Cameos
- Latino Review: Ryan Reynolds Wrote DEADPOOL While Shooting GREEN LANTERN
"There goes my heart…" Netflix has debuted a teaser trailer for Charlie McDowell's The Discovery, just a few days before this film premieres at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. This film is listed as one of my most anticipated of the festival, and that doesn't change after seeing this teaser trailer, I'm still very excited for it. Jason Segel and Rooney Mara star, along with Robert Redford, in this film about a world where the afterlife is scientifically proven.
- Moviefone: 'The Discovery' Trailer Explores the Afterlife With Jason Segel, Robert Redford
- Dark Horizons: Official Trailer: Netflix’s “The Discovery”
- Dread Central: The Discovery Leads to a Haunting Trailer
- Screen Crush: What in God's Name Is Going On in the Trailer for Netflix's 'The Discovery'?
- JoBlo: The afterlife has been scientifically proven in The Discovery trailer
- The Wrap: Watch the Trailer for Robert Redford’s Eerie Afterlife Film ‘The Discovery’ (Video)
- Bleeding Cool: The Discovery Of The Afterlife Won’t Stop Love
- SlashFilm: ‘The Discovery’ Trailer: The Afterlife is Real and People are Dying to Get There
Compassion has always been a big part of the King Kong story. Kong’s relationship with ann Darrow is iconic, and shows that there is more to the beast than jumping around on buildings and killing dinosaurs. Thus far, we haven’t really seen that in marketing for Kong: Skull Island, however, it seems it is going to be in there. In this new banner for the film, you can see Brie Larson having a connection with the eighth wonder of the world.
- Latino Review: It's KING KONG vs CAPTAIN MARVEL In This New Banner For KONG: SKULL ISLAND
- ScreenRant: Kong: Skull Island Banners Say Hail to the King [Updated]
- MovieWeb: King Kong Makes a Friend in Skull Island Interactive Poster
- Badass Digest: KONG: SKULL ISLAND Gets A Kind Of Awesome Poster
- Dark Horizons: New Banner Art For “Kong: Skull Island”
- Dread Central: New Kong: Skull Island Banners Go from Calm to Pissed!
- Comic Book Movie: Brie Larson Faces Down The Great Ape On This Awesome New KONG: SKULL ISLAND Banner
- JoBlo: Woman meets ape in the new banner for Kong: Skull Island
"We are not going to entertain the option of killing people." BH Tilt + Orion have released a second trailer for the horror-thriller film The Belko Experiment, which premiered at TIFF last year. Here's the concept: a corporate high-rise building is locked down and the workers are forced to play a game of "kill or be killed". Directed by Greg McLean (of Wolf Creek), written by James Gunn (of Guardians of the Galaxy), starring John Gallagher Jr, Michael Rooker, Tony Goldwyn, Adria Arjona, John C. McGinley, Melonie Diaz, Owain Yeoman, Sean Gunn, Brent Sexton, and Josh Brener.
- Badass Digest: Feast Your Eyes On Another Cool THE BELKO EXPERIMENT Trailer
- Dread Central: New Trailer for The Belko Experiment Full of Praise
- AintItCool: The Belko Experiment gets a new trailer!
- Dark Horizons: Second Trailer: “The Belko Experiment”
- We Got This Covered: A Bad Day At The Office Descends Into Full-Blown Anarchy In Latest Trailer For The Belko Experiment
- JoBlo: A new trailer for The Belko Experiment hacks and slashes its way online
- MovieWeb: Belko Experiment Trailer Turns the Office Into a Blood Bath
This is real life. After insisting that he’ll “Make America Great Again” throughout his 2016 campaign, president-elect Donald Trump is already trying to trademark the slogan for his re-election campaign in 2020: “Keep America Great.” If that phrase sounds at all familiar to you, that’s because it was the tagline for The Purge: Election Year — James DeMonaco’s horror sequel, which envisions a dystopia where the government is controlled by far-right conservatives and all crime, particularly murder, is legal for one night every year. Continue reading…
- IndieWire: Donald Trump’s 2020 Reelection Slogan Is the Same as the ‘Purge: Election Year’ Tagline
- Hollywood Reporter: Donald Trump's 2020 Presidential Slogan Same as Horror Movie 'Purge: Election Year'
- Vulture: Donald Trump’s Proposed 2020 Slogan Was Already Used in Horror Film The Purge: Election Year
- The Wrap: Trump’s 2020 Campaign Slogan Was Already Used to Promote ‘Purge: Election Year’
- Cinema Blend: Donald Trump's Proposed Re-Election Slogan Is Eerily Similar To The Purge... Probably Not On Purpose
- The A.V. Club: Newswire: Life imitates nightmare as Trump lifts his re-election slogan straight from a Purge movie
John Wick was a film that won audience’s heart with a puppy, soured it with said puppy’s death, and paid it all off with a rewarding tale of revenge. The gun-fu action was top notch, and with few words being tossed around, the all-around badass Keanu Reeves was very much in his element.Now, all of a sudden, a couple short years later, audiences are looking forward to seeing what John Wick is up to next, and more importantly: will this new dog we see in the trailers go the way of his predecessor?
- Dark Horizons: First Clip: “John Wick: Chapter Two”
- JoBlo: Keanu Reeves commands in this first clip from John Wick: Chapter Two
- Bleeding Cool: Nice To See You Again So Soon, Mr. Wick – Clip From John Wick Chapter 2
- Screen Crush: 'John Wick: Chapter 2' Clip: Wick Is Back, and He Has a New Dog
- MovieWeb: First John Wick 2 Clip Returns to the Continental Hotel
- ScreenRant: John Wick 2 Clip: John’s Back At The Continental
A few years ago, you may have stumbled across an anime series called Attack on Titan. Every so often, an anime series crosses over from its niche audience to the mainstream, and not really since maybe Fullmetal Alchemist had an anime series done so.
- Comic Book Movie: Live-Action ATTACK ON TITAN Movie In The Works At Warner Bros. With FANTASTIC BEASTS Producer Attached
- Bleeding Cool: Fantastic Beasts Producer Negotiating To Create Live-Action ‘Attack On Titan’
- MovieWeb: Attack on Titan U.S. Remake Planned with Fantastic Beasts Producer
- ScreenRant: Fantastic Beasts Producer Developing Attack on Titan Film Adaptation
- SlashFilm: ‘Attack on Titan’ Movie in the Works From ‘Harry Potter’ Producer
You want HELLBOY III, I want HELLBOY III, Ron Perlman wants HELLBOY III and Guillermo del Toro wants HELLBOY III, but at a certain point, it's just not fair to keep teasing us with the possibility that HELLBOY III may actually happen. A third HELLBOY movie has been discussed ever since HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY was released back in 2008, but it rarely seemed that the project had... Read More...
- Hollywood Reporter: Guillermo del Toro Teases 'Hellboy III' on Twitter
- IndieWire: ‘Hellboy III’: Guillermo Del Toro Teases Possible Third Film Based on Fan Feedback
- Screen Crush: Guillermo Del Toro Is Polling on Twitter for a 'Hellboy III' So Go Vote Right Now!
- Dread Central: Interested in Hellboy 3 – Guillermo del Toro Polling Fans
- AintItCool: You want HELLBOY 3 - then you better effin' vote for it you primitive screw-head!!!
When the Resident Evil series was one single mediocre movie, I didn’t care for it. When it was two movies, it could barely hold my interest. And then there were three movies. And then four movies. And then five. And now, sixth movie in the series, titled Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, is due out at the end of the month and damn it, these silly movies have won me over.
- Dread Central: Milla Jovovich Brings Us Up to Speed for Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
- Dread Central: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter – New TV Spots Play Games and More!
- SlashFilm: ‘Resident Evil: The Final Chapter’ Is Auctioning Off Over 600 Props This Month
- Bleeding Cool: Get Caught Up With Resident Evil: The Final Chapter’s Featurette – ‘The Story Thus Far’
- ScreenRant: Milla Jovovich Recaps the Resident Evil Movie Franchise in 2 Minutes
- HitFix: Woman With No Name: How ‘Resident Evil’s’ Alice Changed The Game For Women In Action Movies
The Sundance Film Festival is one of the biggest and most important fests of the year, and with good reason: some of our most famous and venerated directors working today premiered their first work there, people like Darren Aronofsky (Pi), Paul Thomas Anderson (Cigarettes & Coffee), Alexander Payne (Citizen Ruth) and Steven Soderbergh (Sex, Lies, and Videotape). This year should be no different, as a host of new faces and cool newcomers are making appearances with films like Newness,...Read MoreRead Comments
- Variety: Sundance Film Festival 2017: The Ultimate Party Guide
- Variety: Sundance Chief John Cooper on Diversity, Trump Protests, and Why Indie Film Is Going Strong
- IndieWire: Sundance 2017: 10 Reasons Why This Year’s Festival Is Essential for Queer Cinema
- Variety: Sundance: 13 Must-See Films That Have the Indie World Talking
An extended and less spoiler-y trailed for the return of Arrow has been released and we get a better idea of what Oliver Queen is thinking after seeing that Laurel Lance is back. In a quick scene with Rene Ramirez, Oliver basically attributes her return to Barry’s time travel… but the tag line for the trailer is “You ain’t heard nothing yet” and that’s the clue.
- We Got This Covered: Dolph Lundgren Will Return To Arrow As Konstantin Kovar
- We Got This Covered: Arrow Asks “Who Are You?” In Extended Promo
- Coming Soon: Extended Trailer for Arrow Mid-Season Premiere, Plus CW Sizzle Reel
- Latino Review: ARROW Midseason Trailer & Are The CW DC Shows Doomed To Fail? Our Readers Answer
While Gal Gadot has recently spent the better part of her free time kicking ass as Diana Prince AKA Wonder Woman for Warner Bros. and DC Comic’s JUSTICE LEAGUE, and Jason Statham … well, hasn’t stopped kicking the crap out of people for what feel like a very long time. Now, both can be seen wrecking shop for this action-packed Super Bowl ad for the cloud-based web... Read More...
- HitFix: Jason Statham And Gal Gadot Team Up In A Fiery Super Bowl Commercial
- Screen Crush: Watch Gal Gadot and Jason Statham Team Up to Kick Some Butt in This Super Bowl Ad
- Comic Book Movie: WONDER WOMAN Star Gal Gadot Kicks Some Serious Ass Alongside Jason Statham In Super Bowl Ad
- ScreenRant: Gal Gadot and Jason Statham Team For Wix Super Bowl Ad
S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Daisy Johnson in the organization’s new dumpster headquarters, a result of massive budget cuts. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returned to television last night for its mid-season premiere, and promptly dropped 25% in the ratings, bringing in just over 2 million viewers with an abysmal .6 rating in the 18-49 demographic. The beleaguered show has been on a nonstop ratings slide pretty much since its premiere, which pulled in six times as many viewers as last night’s episode.
- We Got This Covered: Don’t Expect To See Johnny Blaze’s Ghost Rider Return In Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Comic Book Movie: SPOILERS: Check Out The Promo For Next Week's Episode Of AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.
- JoBlo: TV Review: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Season 4 Episode 10 "The Patriot"
- Comic Book Movie: Don't Expect To See That Second GHOST RIDER Again On AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Bleeding Cool: The Director Stands Revealed – Fall Out From Marvel’s Agents Of SHIELD
Julia Roberts has been revealed as the voice of SmurfWillow in Smurfs: The Lost Village.
- Screen Crush: Smurf Party USA! Julia Roberts Joins Cast of 'Smurfs: The Lost Village'
- The Wrap: Ellie Kemper, Julia Roberts to Cameo in ‘Smurfs: The Lost Village’
- Dark Horizons: Four More Join “Smurfs: The Lost Village”
- Deadline: Sony Pictures Animation Details Upcoming Slate, Including Julia Roberts’ ‘Smurfs’ Role
Before they created Stranger Things for Netflix and won the hearts of everyone with a login to that omnipresent streaming service, Matt and Ross Duffer worked as writers on Fox’s Wayward Pines. And working on that series meant working with M. Night Shyamalan, who directed the pilot and served as an executive producer alongside Chad Hodge.
- Latino Review: STRANGER THINGS: M. Night Shyamalan Wants To Direct An Episode Of Hit Netflix Series
- Coming Soon: CS Video: James McAvoy, M. Night Shyamalan & the Split Cast
- Bleeding Cool: M. Knight Shyamalan Threatens To Direct Stranger Things Season 2, Offers Tales From The Crypt Update
- Film School Rejects: 6 Filmmaking Tips From M. Night Shyamalan
The X-Men movie franchise has had its ups and downs, but most fans would agree that Hugh Jackman’s appearances as Wolverine – all 8 of them, including cameos – have been among the highlights, regardless of the quality of the individual movies around him. The last Wolverine solo outing, The Wolverine, was originally intended as a simple and intimate story about Wolverine in Japan, focusing on Logan as the only mutant in the story.
- We Got This Covered: New Look At X-23 In Logan Revealed Ahead Of Tomorrow’s Trailer Debut
- We Got This Covered: A Glowering Wolverine Is Placed Front And Center In New Logan Pic
- Comic Book Movie: A Storm Is Brewing In This New LOGAN Image As Tomorrow's Final Trailer Is Confirmed
- ScreenRant: Hugh Jackman Confirms Logan Trailer #2 Tomorrow; New Image Surfaces
- Screen Crush: 'Logan' Gifts Us With Two More Images, Plus a Trailer Announcement!
The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is calling for a boycott of the upcoming family movie “A Dog’s Purpose” after TMZ released a leaked video of a German Shepherd being forced into turbulent water during the making of the film. The video, which was filmed in November 2015, shows a trainer forcing the dog into a pool that had been fitted with motors to simulate a whitewater river. The dog clawed at the edge of the pool before being finally pushed and submerged in the water.
- Hollywood Reporter: PETA Calls For Boycott of 'A Dog’s Purpose' After On-Set Video Surfaces
- Cinema Blend: Why PETA Wants People To Boycott A Dog's Purpose
- The A.V. Club: Newswire: A Dog’s Purpose accused of animal cruelty after disturbing footage emerges
- Vulture: Footage From A Dog’s Purpose Set Shows a Scared Dog Forced Into Stunt With Rushing Water
As promotion for the live-action adaptation of Beauty and The Beast kicks up a notch ahead of its March premiere, Disney has released a new triptych poster featuring the entire cast of the film together. In addition to Belle (Emma Watson) and her hirsute companion (Dan Stevens), we get new looks at the palace staff in both their cursed and human forms, as well as the likes of Gaston (Luke Evans), Le Fou (Josh Gad) and Belle's father (Kevin Kline).
- ScreenRant: Beauty and the Beast Triptych Poster Brings All of the Characters Together
- AintItCool: This BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 24 Sheet is magic through and through!!!
- Fandango Movie Blog: 'Beauty and the Beast' Star Emma Watson Explains Why She Chose Belle Over Cinderella
- ScreenRant: Beauty and the Beast Stars to Host Episode of The Bachelor
It has been a shaky few years for Legendary Entertainment recently. Thomas Tull launched the studio in 2000, then quickly agreed to partner up with Warner Bros. in order to help finance and produce films like Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy as well as Zack Snyder’s 300 and Watchmen. They have also been attached to movies like The Hangover, Inception, Man of Steel, Straight Outta Compton, and Jurassic World.
WME-IMG Chief Financial Officer Chris Liddell is exiting the agency to join the Trump administration as the incoming president’s director of strategic initiatives. The New Zealand native had already been advising Donald Trump during the post-election transition and will now join him on a full-time basis. “This week, Chris Liddell was appointed Assistant to the President and Director of Strategic Initiatives by U.S.
Will Arnett returns to voice Surly the Squirrel, who rounds up his animal friends to save their park in the trailer for The Nut Job 2
The first cinematic installment of Justice League will feature Batman (Ben Affleck) assuming the mantle of leadership for the iconic superhero group in the wake of Superman’s selfless sacrifice. The official synopsis for the movie says that Bruce Wayne will be “fueled by his restored faith in humanity,” but that doesn’t necessarily mean that Batman will suddenly look any less fearsome than the character already did when Affleck first donned his distinctive cowl. Batman’s updated look was one of the most striking visual elements of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- We Got This Covered: Batman Experiences A Closer, Smoother Shave In New Justice League Dark Clip
- AintItCool: AICN COMICS Reviews: INHUMANS VS. X-MEN! JUSTICE LEAGUE VS SUICIDE SQUAD! FAITH! THE ASSIGNMENT! & M
- ScreenRant: Ben Affleck ‘Learned A Ton’ From Batman V Superman Experiences
- Latino Review: Ben Affleck On Sad Affleck Meme & What He Learned From BATMAN v SUPERMAN
Video game movies. Oh, video game movies. This is one nut Hollywood has tried, and consistently failed, to crack for decades. Last year seemed to be the year they could finally get it right. With Warcraft and Assassin’s Creed approaching with their releases, the future for the genre of films seemed optimistic. Warcraft hit theaters, and while it did perform pretty well overseas, it largely failed here in the U.S. On a critical level, the movie itself left a lot to be desired.
- ScreenRant: Portal & Half-Life Movies Are ‘Still Coming’
- MovieWeb: J.J. Abrams' Portal and Half-Life Movies Aren't Dead Yet
- Dark Horizons: “Portal,” “Half-Life” Films Are Still Coming
James McAvoy is a one man show in Split, giving a tour de force performance in M. Night Shyamalan's best movie in 15 years.
- Moviefone: Anya Taylor-Joy's Preparation for 'Split' Included Spooning With James McAvoy
- We Got This Covered: Split Review
- The Wrap: ‘Split,’ ‘xXx: Return of Xander Cage’ to Battle for No. 1 at the Box Office
A total of 6 movies either opened or expanded nationwide over MLK weekend, cannibalizing each other in the process. So in the end Hidden Figures was again number 1. Boosted by the longer Martin Luther King weekend Hidden Figures lost only 8.5% over 3 days with $20.9 million. Including Monday Hidden Figures went up to $27.5 million, which […] Read Box Office: Hidden Figures Thrives While Others Bomb on Filmonic.
Fox Searchlight has debuted another trailer for the upcoming big-screen take on Daniel Clowes' (Ghost World, Ice Haven, Mister Wonderful) Wilson. Before he heads off to the galaxy far, far away, Woody Harrelson will star as the titular character of the acclaimed graphic novel, who makes one last-ditch effort to reconnect with his drug-addled ex-wife (Laura Dern) when he realizes they have a daughter together.
- Latino Review: Red & Green Band Trailers For Woody Harrelson's WILSON Are HERE!
- Deadline: ‘The Affair’s Ruth Wilson On ‘Hedda Gabler,’ Thinking Big & How “Hollywood Is No Longer The Top”: Q&A
- Comic Book Movie: EXCLUSIVE: New Art Shows Us What Patrick Wilson Could Look Like As AQUAMAN's Villain!
- Comic Book Movie: EXCLUSIVE: Fan-Art Shows Us What Patrick Wilson Could Look Like As AQUAMAN's Villain!
I hope you’re ready for more ghouls, goblins, werewolves, scarecrows…uh…gnomes…and um…evil plants, I guess, because GOOSEBUMPS 2 is on the way! We reported the series would continue back in April, and now we have an official date for the movie’s release. Que the original show's music that made you run to the living room when you were a kid! It was... Read More...
If Netflix landing new comedy specials from Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock wasn’t enough to solidify the streaming service as the best place for new stand-up comedy, the latest addition to their roster should do the trick. Jerry Seinfeld has just struck a new deal with Netflix that effectively makes the streaming service the new home for all of his comedic endeavors.
Following their character breakdowns for Marvel's The Inhumans TV series last week, That Hashtag Show has now provided us with descriptions for the young children of the atom that'll be introduced in Josh Boone's X-Men: The New Mutants. As is always the case, the characters have been given fake names to hide their real identities, but even without the presenters' help it's not difficult to figure out who's who from the descriptions. As expected, the team will consist of: Cannonball, Magik, Sunspot, Wolfsbane and Mirage.
- ScreenRant: Rumor: New Mutants Casting Call Reveals Character Details?
- IGN Movies: Legion: X-Men Producer on Future TV Plans
Neon pandas and rainbow-swirled unicorns and bubbly dolphins — that could describe an eight-year-old girl’s psychedelic mushroom trip, or Mariah Carey’s dream journal, or, more likely, a Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper from 1992. The Frank brand is still keeping the dream of the ’90s alive in 2017, and honestly, it’s surprising that it’s taken this long for her candy-colored creations to terrorize the big screen. Continue reading…
Very few people know this about me, but I’ve actually participated in a series of radio plays for the comic book website Talking Comics. In his spare time, a co-worker and dear friend of mine, Bob Reyer, has crafted a series of Lovecraftian Horror stories that are just amazing. So, it’s with a personal and vested interest in the timeless works of H. P. Lovecraft that I delight in bringing you... Read More...
The guys over at comicbook.com were able to get an exclusive with production designer Charles Wood, whose work for Marvel includes; Thor: The Dark World, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Doctor Strange, and the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War.
About a year ago, actors Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill sat down for a dual interview wherein they spoke about their DC Comics-related superhero film, BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE. The film had just come out, and, had consequently met with some pretty scathing reviews from both the press and comics fans alike. While fielding one of several questions asked of the dynamic duo, Cavill responded with... Read More...
- ScreenRant: Ben Affleck Responds to Sad Affleck Meme
- MTV Movies Blog: Ben Affleck Reacts To That ‘Sad Ben Affleck’ Meme, Knows How To Take A Joke
Streaming companies and indie distributors will battle it out for these movies. “Brigsby Bear” Kyle Mooney (“SNL”) leads an impressive ensemble in what seems to be a millennial take on “The Truman Show.” The title refers to a children’s TV show made for an audience of one — a boy named James, whose life changes after the show’s abrupt end. Dave McCary directs from a script by Mooney and Kevin Costello.
The first Pixar movie, Toy Story, came out nearly 22 years ago. If that doesn’t make you feel old, how about this? Andy sister’s Molly, who appeared as a drooling toddler in the film, is old enough to drink. You’re getting old, death is near, etc. On a happier note: after years of fan speculation, Disney finally confirmed the speculation that every Pixar movie, from Toy Story to 2016’s Finding Dory, takes place in the same universe. Yes, even The Good Dinosaur. The revelation was made on Toy Story‘s Facebook page in a video with the caption, “Oh my spurs!
It was revealed yesterday that actress Karen Gillan would be reprising her role as Nebula in the next two Avengers films, a move that makes sense, considering her father, Thanos, will act as the main antagonist.
Emma Watson is the new Belle in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, and Disney die-hards are overflowing with giddiness, waiting to hear her sing and twirl in the upcoming film. But this is a fairy tale that was almost not so, as Watson was offered the leading role in the 2015 live-action CINDERELLA movie, but turned it down. Lily James was then hired, and everything turned out magical, and everyone had cake and celebrated.... Read More...
Diplo’s spin through the 2017 Sundance Film Festival will be all out.
Amazon has acquired the Grateful Dead documentary “Long Strange Trip” ahead of its premiere at this month’s Sundance Film Festival. The four-hour movie is directed by Amir Bar-Lev and executive produced by Martin Scorsese. The six-part “Long Strange Trip” will debut in the U.S. and U.K. on May 26.
Belfast based writer-director Chris Baugh makes his feature debut with the Sundance selected revenge thriller Bad Day For The Cut and if it wasn't on your radar already the freshly released trailer certainly does a compelling job of arguing why you should be looking out for it. Nigel O'Neill stars as Donal, a middle aged farmer living a quiet life and caring for his aging mother until tragedy strikes and she is killed in their own home in an apparent home invasion.
John McTiernan, between 1987 and 1990, put out three classic action movies in a row: Predator, Die Hard, and The Hunt For The Red October. But he hasn’t been heard from since 2003’s Basic, until now, with his version of a cat video. Shot to promote the open world tactical action game Ghost Recon: Wildlands, the star of this is a white kitty who sees a laser and does what all kitties do with a laser. Don’t worry, animal fans, the kitty is OK. The owners… well, you’ve seen Die Hard.
Ricky Gervais has been promoting his new movie, DAVID BRENT: LIFE ON THE ROAD, for some time now, and the mass audience will finally get to see it on February 10 when it debuts on Netflix. Many people might not know the name of Brent when they hear it, but the character was made famous in the BBC series, THE OFFICE. The character was renamed Michael Scott (Steve Carell) for the U.S. version, and the rest is history. Now... Read More...
- FirstShowing.net: Another New Trailer for Ricky Gervais' 'David Brent: Life On The Road'
Last week I had the opportunity to jump on the phone with the visual effects team behind Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. After the jump, you can read a transcript of my full interview with Rogue One executive producer / visual effects supervisor / writer John Knoll, animation supervisor Hal Hickel, and special effects supervisor Neil Corbould. In the conversation, Knoll talks about his original low-budget pitch for Rogue One.
Lisa Frank, whose eponymous company’s psychedelic designs dominated classrooms in the ’80s and ’90s, is bringing those vivid characters to life in a live action/animated hybrid feature film she’s developing with independent producer Jon Shestack. A studio is not yet attached to the project, which the producers plan to develop independently with UTA.
Guillermo Del Toro launched a brand new franchise hopeful in 2013 by bringing giant robots and monsters together for Pacific Rim. Despite the talent involved and the bold scope that the film worked with, domestic audiences did not show up in big numbers for the epic clash. Instead, it was the international audiences that made the first installment a success worthy of a sequel, and now Pacific Rim: Uprising is officially a go.
A new hilarious mashup of ‘Mean Girls’ and ‘High School Musical’ makes Regina George the new Sharpay Evans
Welcome to 2017, a year where no television show is ever over – it’s just hibernating, waiting for the inevitable comeback. The latest beloved television show to return from the Great Beyond is NBC’s Will and Grace, which will air 10 new episodes during the network’s 2017-2018 season. Will and Grace originally ran for eight seasons and 194 episodes, picking up 83 Emmy nominations and 16 wins (including at least one win for each of its four leads) between 1998 and 2006.
It's apparently taken a lot of time to finally untangle all the legal hullabaloo, but we're finally going to get a Sammy Davis, Jr. biopic off the ground, as all parties involved have come to an agreement on how to tell its story. Among the producers, in fact, is fellow musician (and friend) Lionel Richie. The biopic will be based on the memoir YES I CAN: THE STORY OF SAMMY... Read More...
The set of Steven Spielberg‘s Ready Player One has been pretty quiet aside from a handful of set pictures showing a grungy dystopia where the vast majority of people spend as much time as possible living in a virtual world called the OASIS.
In 1948, brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald launched their billion-dollar burger franchise with two sandwiches and a hundred rules. McDonald’s banned more things than it served: plates, silverware, jukeboxes, carhops, cigarette machines, frozen foods, phone booths, tables, tipping, and women, who weren’t allowed to work at the restaurant until all the teen boys were busy... The Founder Is A Capitalist Happy Meal With A Vanilla Shake">Read more »
- Fandango Movie Blog: Exclusive Clip: 'The Founder' and the History of the McDonald's Milkshake
A love letter to Vin Diesel’s extreme sports heroism.The cinema of Rob Cohen peaked in the years 2001 and 2002 with the release of The Fast and the Furious, and, as an alternative to a Fast/Furious sequel, the extreme-sports cash-in xXx, starring once and future Fastest and most Furious of all, Vin Diesel. Before getting to xXx (it is no longer necessary to get to The Fast and the Furious, it having long since ascended to pop legend) as a whole it’s necessary to talk about Cohen as a filmmaker, which isn’t possible to do in a positive sense without grappling with some large contradictions.
- IGN Movies: XXX: Return of Xander Cage Review
On Thursday, January 26th, we get our first look into the world of Riverdale. Based on the character from Archie Comics, the television adaptation goes darker and more twisted the source material and the parents of Archie and his friends play a big role. Mädchen Amick is Alice Cooper, Betty’s mom and owner of the Riverdale Register that is covering and sensationalizing the death of Jason Blossom.
The 32nd Annual Artios Awards, taking place on Thursday night at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, come at an auspicious time for the artists honored. In 2013, after years of lobbying, the Academy created a new Casting Directors Branch — and at November’s Governors Awards, legendary casting director Lynn Stalmaster received an Honorary Oscar, the first ever bestowed on a member of his profession. Can an actual Oscar category for casting be far behind?
- Hollywood Reporter: Will 'La La Land' Have Lionsgate Investors Dancing in 2017?
It took a while for Morgan Creek to get the ball rolling on that Tupac Shakur biopic, but as of now we’re just a few months away from finally seeing it in theaters. Lionsgate’s Summit Entertainment has scooped up the rights to All Eyez on Me and set it for a summer release. Summit announced this week that All Eyez on Me will open wide on June 16, 2017, which would have been Shakur’s 46th birthday. Also opening that weekend are Pixar’s Cars 3, Scarlett Johansson’s Rock That Body, and Colin Trevorrow’s The Book of Henry.
When it comes to entertainment today, the nostalgia train is chugging along rather smoothly as Hollywood remakes, reboots and recycles anything and everything that people loved from decades ago. Now that children of the 90s are starting to have kids of their own, movie studios, TV networks and streaming services are all trying to occupy their spare time with shows like Girls Meets World and Fuller House, as well as sequels like Jumanji.
Following that awesome first glimpse of Marvel and Netflix's The Defenders assembled last week, we have a new image from the upcoming superhero team-up show, featuring Daredevil in his civilian guise of Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) and the ever-confrontational Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter). Though it's not labeled as such, given the fact that Matt has is glasses off I'm inclined to believe this is actually a behind-the-scenes shot - unless Jones just happened to piss off the Man Without Fear during their argument to the point that he decided to remove them for effect! The Defe
- We Got This Covered: Marvel Primes Guardians Of The Galaxy And Defenders For Free Comic Book Day
As the Slamdance Film Festival draws closer it is time to give everyone a taste of the madness that it is about to fall upon the audiences when they watch Brian Harrison's short film Hell Follows. Here is the trailer for the short film. Harrison calls it the Assault Preview. Truer words have never been spoken. Betrayed by his clan and murdered for his past evil deeds, a sadistic killer's soul possesses his identical twin's body and sets out onto the road of vengeance for one final crusade of extermination. Everywhere he goes ...
The G.I. Joe franchise makes money, but it doesn’t make Michael Bay money. While we’ll see Transformers number five this summer, we continue to wait for a G.I. Joe 3, which may have been delayed due to scheduling. Director D.J. Caruso was attached to direct the film, but he moved on to make xXx: Return of Xander Cage. When Caruso was developing the Hasbro film, he had it end with the G.I. Joe and Transformers universes meeting. Below, learn why Paramount didn’t go for the G.I.
- We Got This Covered: D.J. Caruso’s Original Pitch For G.I. Joe 3 Teed Up A Transformers Crossover
If you’re like me, you may have spent your last weekend marathoning the heck out of Netflix’s latest release, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, and boy what a treat that was. While I wouldn’t exactly call myself a fan of the books (I’ve only read the first one, and dropped it immediately), I was definitely drawn by the quirky visual aesthetic and tone sold in the trailers. It looked like it could be a fun bit of escapism.
Jack Nicholson's longtime friend Peter Fonda reveals in a new interview that he believes the three-time Oscar winner has retired from acting.
1. Hidden FiguresGross: $27,506,839Total: $61,889,939
2. SingGross: $19,025,360Total: $238,240,880
3. La La LandGross: $17,717,720Total: $77,299,289
4. Rogue One: A Star Wars StoryGross: $16,806,712Total: $501,898,446
5. Bye Bye Man, TheGross: $15,204,094Total: $15,204,094