Top Movie News for March 1, 2015
The Lazarus Effect arises in fifthLast week’s second-weekend drop was no blip for Fifty Shades Of Gray: after the furore of its initial launch, the film has begun to fall quickly down the charts. Taking its place this weekend was the new Will Smith con drama Focus, which arrived to a relatively meagre $19.1 million despite a hefty ad campaign.
- The Wrap: Will Smith’s ‘Focus’ Sharp Enough to Top Friday Box Office
- Variety: Box Office: Will Smith’s ‘Focus’ Sets Sights on $20 Million Opening
- Thompson on Hollywood: Friday Box Office: Will Smith's 'Focus' Leads Weak Slate
- Variety: Box Office: ‘Focus’ Tops Weak Crop of Competitors With $19.1 Million
- Coming Soon: Will Smith’s Focus Tops Box Office with Less than $20 Million
- USA Today: Slow box office weekend comes into 'Focus'
- Long Island Newsday: 'Focus' tops box office with $19.1 million
- We Got This Covered: Box Office Report: Focus Steals #1 Spot With Soft Opening
- Cinema Blend: Weekend Box Office: Focus Banks Blurry Number One, American Sniper Just Misses The Mark
- Deadline: Mr Grey Dominates, Mr Smith’s ‘Focus’ Pulls & Ms Smith’s ‘Exotic Marigold Hotel’ Upgrades: More International Box Office
- Digital Spy: Will Smith's heist thriller Focus beats 50 Shades at US box office
- Rotten Tomatoes: News: Box Office Guru Wrapup: Focus Tops Lackluster Weekend
- Thompson on Hollywood: Top 10 Box Office Takeaways: Will Smith Tests Star 'Focus,' 'Lazarus' Doesn't Rise, Oscar Breakdown
- Vulture: Will Smith's Focus Takes the Weak Weekend Box Office
- HitFix: Box Office: Will Smith and Margot Robbie are in 'Focus' for no. 1 Friday
- The Wrap: Will Smith’s ‘Focus’ Heists Top Spot at Box Office With $19 Million
- Screen Crush: Weekend Box Office Report: Will Smith Pulls the Box Office Into 'Focus'
- IndieWire: Specialty Box Office: ''71' and 'Maps' Debut As Oscar Winners Try and Cash In
- Deadline: Oscar’s Halo At The Box Office: ‘Birdman’, ‘Still Alice’ & More Shine
- Deadline: ‘Birdman,’ Other Oscar Winners Cash In Mildly At Specialty Box Office
- Filmonic: Box Office: Top 10 Highest Grossing Movies of 2014 Worldwide
- JoBlo: Weekend Box Office Report: February 27-March 1, 2015
- The Wrap: ‘Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’ Sequel Tops Original at Overseas Box Office
- ScreenRant: Weekend Box Office Wrap-up: March 1, 2015
- HitFix: How did the Oscar winners do at the Box Office?
- Deadline: Will Smith’s ‘Focus’ Bows To $19.1M; ‘Lazarus Effect’ At $10.6M – Final Sunday Update
- Dark Horizons: "Focus" Tops A Weak Weekend Box-Office
- FirstShowing.net: Sound Off: Glenn Ficarra & John Requa's 'Focus' - Your Thoughts?
- Filmonic: A Bunch of Focus Clips
- Entertainment Weekly: Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- BoxOfficeMojo: Analysis: Friday Report: 'Focus' Steals Away with $6.5 Million
- BoxOfficeMojo: Analysis: 'Focus' Pulls Off Minor Heist
Last week, in the wake of the Oscars, we took a look at the career of master director Richard Linklater. This week's tribute marks a much unhappier occasion... Leonard Nimoy Leonard Nimoy's passing hit me hard. Granted, he was eighty-three and rather frail, but I always assumed Nimoy would be one of those guys that would just always be around, defying time just like his alter-ego Spock... Read More...
- Hollywood Reporter: How Leonard Nimoy Was Convinced to Join the First 'Star Trek' Movie
- Coming Soon: EPIX and Syfy Pay Tribute to Leonard Nimoy This Weekend
- Variety: Leonard Nimoy: 14 Things You Didn’t Know About His Career
- Vulture: William Shatner Will Miss Leonard Nimoy’s Funeral
- Deadline: William Shatner’s Twitter Storm Of A Leonard Nimoy Funeral Tribute
- Variety: William Shatner Remembers Leonard Nimoy’s ‘Compassion and Dedication’ on Twitter
- Entertainment Weekly: Leonard Nimoy and Zachary Quinto: A tale of two Spocks at Comic-Con '07
- IGN Movies: A Vulcan Salute For Leonard Nimoy
- FirstShowing.net: Editorial: A Fond Farewell to Leonard Nimoy, the Face of 'Star Trek'
- IGN Movies: Thank You, Leonard Nimoy
- HitFix: Leonard Nimoy lived long and prospered
- HitFix: StreamFix: 5 Choice Leonard Nimoy Viewing Options Online Now
- Twitch: Twitchvision: Jason Gorber Remembers Leonard Nimoy
- MovieWeb: Epix and Syfy Pay Tribute to Leonard Nimoy This Weekend
- The Wrap: William Shatner Will Miss Leonard Nimoy’s Funeral
- The Wrap: Leonard Nimoy Gets Vulcan Salute From Astronaut at Space Station
- Bleeding Cool: William Shatner To Celebrate Leonard Nimoy’s Life On Twitter This Morning
- Bleeding Cool: The Story Of Leonard Nimoy, WIlliam Shatner And The Bike
Later this year, we'll probably see Leonardo DiCaprio enter the awards race again with the lead role in Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's The Revenant (get a first look right here). But it sounds like he's got another potential awards contender finally coming together after trying to get the project off the ground for nearly two decades. The Crowded Room is a real life drama about Billy Milligan, the first person to successfully use multiple personality disorder as a defense in a court of law.
- JoBlo: Leonardo DiCaprio will have 24 personalities in The Crowded Room
- Entertainment Weekly: Casting Net: Leonardo DiCaprio to play multiple personalities in <em>The Crowded Room</em>
- The Wrap: Leonardo DiCaprio to Star in Multiple Personality Movie ‘The Crowded Room’
- MovieWeb: Leonardo DiCaprio Gets Schizophrenic in 'The Crowded Room'
- Empire Magazine: Leonardo DiCaprio Moves To The Crowded Room
- Screen Crush: Leonardo DiCaprio's 'The Crowded Room' Is Finally Happening
- Digital Spy: Leonardo DiCaprio to play multiple personality disorder role
- Dark Horizons: DiCaprio To Play 24 Personas In "Crowded"
- USA Today: DiCaprio to play a man with 24 personalities
- Cinema Blend: Leonardo DiCaprio May Finally Play His Dream Role, Get The Details
- Vulture: Leonardo DiCaprio Might Finally Get to Play a Criminal with Multiple Personality Disorder
- MTV Movies Blog: Could This Finally Be Leonardo DiCaprio’s Oscar-Winning Role?
What's coming tomorrow? Something, according to Suicide Squad director David Ayer. It could be anything in all honesty, with an official logo and cast list in the form of a press release most likely. However, with Jared Leto confirming that he's touched down in Toronto, could he be about to get a shave and a haircut to be transformed into The Joker? That would certainly be a good way to get people talking anyway! Shooting is expected to begin in the Canadian city next month, so they must be right in the middle of costume fittings and the like right now.
- Comic Book Movie: David Ayer Teases SUICIDE SQUAD Sets And Jared Leto's "Majestic" Take On THE JOKER
- ScreenRant: ‘Suicide Squad’: David Ayer Says Jared Leto’s Joker Will Be ‘Majestic’
- JoBlo: Suicide Squad Director David Ayer Dubs Jared Leto's Joker "Majestic"
- Coming Soon: Suicide Squad Director Describes Jared Leto’s Joker
- Cinema Blend: What Reveal Is Suicide Squad Promising Tomorrow?
- MovieWeb: 'Suicide Squad': More Details on Joker and Amanda Waller
- IGN Movies: Suicide Squad Director Calls Leto's Joker 'Majestic'
- Cinema Blend: The Real Reason Viola Davis Decided To Join Suicide Squad
- Dark Horizons: Viola Davis Talks Joining "Suicide Squad"
- SlashFilm: Superhero Bits: Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Suicide Squad
- Screen Crush: 'Suicide Squad' Star Margot Robbie Says the Film Is More 'Dark Knight' Than 'Avengers'
- Comic Book Movie: More From Viola Davis On SUICIDE SQUAD And Why She's Taking On 'The Wall' Role
- ScreenRant: ‘Suicide Squad’: Viola Davis Talks Amanda Waller, Trading Comic Books as a Kid
- Digital Spy: Margot Robbie hints at multi-film deal as Suicide Squad's Harley Quinn
The wild and wacky journeys of Finn and Jake are heading to the big screen. Deadline has word that Cartoon Network's hit animated series Adventure Time is being developed by the channel's sister company Warner Bros. Pictures for a feature film adaptation. The LEGO Movie co-director and producer Chris McKay and Roy Lee are producing the film, so it's bound to be great.
- Digital Spy: Adventure Time being developed into a feature film
- ScreenRant: ‘Adventure Time’ Animated Movie in Development
- MovieWeb: 'Adventure Time' Animated Movie Is Happening!
- Coming Soon: The Fun Will Never End, Adventure Time Film in Development!
- Cinema Blend: An Adventure Time Movie Is In The Works, Get The Details
- Dark Horizons: Warners Plans An "Adventure Time" Movie
- Vulture: There Will Be Adventure Time the Movie
- IGN Movies: Adventure Time Movie Heading to the Big Screen
- JoBlo: Awesome Art We've Found Around The Net: Adventure Time, Serenity, South Park
- Screen Crush: An 'Adventure Time' Movie Is in the Works, So Come On and Grab Your Friends
- Empire Magazine: Adventure Time Heads To Cinemas
For the third weekend in a row, Fifty Shades of Grey easily took first place at the international box office.The worldwide phenomenon added $36 million from 59 markets, which brings its overseas total to a stunning $338.4 million. Holdover markets were off an average of 46 percent from last weekend. The movie's only new territory was South Korea, where it opened in fourth place with $1.8 million; according to Universal, this comparatively low debut correlates with the fact that the book nev...
- Horror Society: A Darker Fifty Shades: The Fetish Set (Review)
- Hollywood Reporter: Box Office: 'Fifty Shades' Seduces Overseas With Massive $338.4M, Nears $500M Globally
- Variety: ‘Fifty Shades’ Becomes Universal’s Highest-Grossing R-Rated International Release
- Vulture: Saturday Night Live Recap: Fifty Shades of Nope
- Cinema Blend: Fifty Shades Of Grey Added In Pubic Hair In Post-Production
- MTV Movies Blog: Dakota Johnson Goes From ‘Fifty Shades’ To Dressing Like A Man In This New ‘Cymbeline’ Trailer
- HitFix: Dakota Johnson fields tough 'Fifty Shades of Grey' questions on 'SNL'
- Entertainment Weekly: 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- IGN Movies: Focus Topples Fifty Shades of Grey at the Box Office
- The Playlist: Weekend Box-Office: Will Smith Steals ‘Focus’ From ‘Fifty Shades’ But Still Underwhelms, Oscar Pics Get Bumps
ScreenCrush’s WookieeLeaks is a weekly roundup of everything Star Wars! From Episode 7, to the upcoming spinoffs and the TV shows, if it pertains to that long ago, far away galaxy, we’re covering it here, bringing you our expert analysis. This week, we parse through the latest spoilers, watch the season finale trailer for Star Wars Rebels, and listen to cast and crew tell us absolutely nothing. Continue reading…
- ScreenRant: ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Rumors: Flashback Sequence & Luke’s Role
- Dark Horizons: "Star Wars" 1-6 Retold As LEGO Mini-Series
- USA Today: Princess Leia gets her own 'Star Wars' comic
- Screen Crush: The Wrap Up: Disney Is Making a LEGO 'Star Wars' Series
- Latino Review: STAR WARS: A Rose By Any Other Name Is A LEGO
- SlashFilm: Page 2: House of Cards, BTTF, Peanuts, Frozen, Star Wars, Fifth Element, Shining, Star Trek
- HitFix: 293 days until Star Wars: Not even the Empire can resist the power of selfies
- MovieWeb: 'Star Wars 7' Flashback and Luke's Role Revealed?
- MovieWeb: 'The Last Starfighter' Remake Eyed by 'Star Wars' Writer
More zombie smashing is always a good thing; more stumbling through the woods yelling for Carl is not. Here’s hoping we’re getting more of the former. The Walking Dead is one of the biggest shows on television which, despite nearing the end of its fifth season, is more popular than ever. AMC recently announced that they’ll be doing what everyone does with something... Read More...
- Cinema Blend: The Fear Monger: The Walking Dead Spoof You've Been Waiting For
- AintItCool: Sunday Brings 2015’s Fourth WALKING DEAD!!
- Variety: ‘The Walking Dead’ Recap: ‘Remember’
- Variety: ‘Walking Dead’ Q&A: Tovah Feldshuh On Playing Alexandria Leader Deanna Monroe and Rick’s Big Shave
- Moviefone: 'The Walking Dead' Season 5, Episode 12 Recap: Shave and a Haircut
- MovieWeb: 'Walking Deceased' Trailer Spoofs 'The Walking Dead'
- Bleeding Cool: Trailers For The Walking Dead: Remember
- Comic Book Movie: THE WALKING DEAD Season 5, Episode 13 Promo; "Forget"
To say that films based on Saturday Night Live sketches have a spotty history would be a bit of an understatement. After all, for every Blues Brothers and Wayne’s World, there’s an It’s Pat or Superstar or Stuart Saves His Family (you get the idea). In the case of 2010 comedy MacGruber (based on the SNL MacGyver parody of the same name), the film earned a paltry $9 million worldwide and received mixed reviews. Yet, in the years since its release, the film has amassed a cult following that has kept rumors swirling around a sequel.
- SlashFilm: Will Forte Says ‘MacGruber 2′ Is “Priority No. 1″… After ‘The Last Man on Earth’
- Dark Horizons: Forte Says "MacGruber 2" Is A Priority
- JoBlo: Will Forte says MacGruber 2 is first priority after The Last Man on Earth
- FirstShowing.net: 'MacGruber' Sequel is Still 'Priority #1' According to Star Will Forte
- Cinema Blend: Wait, MacGruber 2 May Actually Happen Sooner Than We Thought?
- Screen Crush: 'MacGruber 2' Is Will Forte's First Priority After 'The Last Man on Earth'
- MovieWeb: 'MacGruber 2' May Happen After 'Last Man on Earth'
- Deadline: Rudy Giuliani Gets ‘Birdman’ Take-Down Via ‘SNL’ Opener
- AintItCool: Dakota Johnson Hosts SNL!!
- Thompson on Hollywood: Best of the Week: Why the Academy Loved 'Birdman,' 13 Ways to Keep Movie Fans Happy and More
- Deadline: Dakota Johnson Plays Innocent In Spiky ISIS-Chic Ad Parody On ‘SNL’
- Deadline: ‘SNL’ Slaps Arounds Net Neutrality: It’s About Wet Flicks, Not Netflix
- Variety: Watch: Dakota Johnson Joins ISIS in Controversial ‘SNL’ Spoof
- Vulture: Dakota Johnson Joins ISIS in Controversial SNL Sketch
Click here to view the embedded video. “I’ve never has a cold… and a cold never bothered me anyway.” That’s an early line from Frozen Fever, showing before Disney’s new Cinderella remake. I’ve just been to see both with the kids – but thought I’d write about the shorter one first. It was a surprise for the press-and-the-kids crowd that I managed to attend in London’s West End this morning, and the place went mental when the guy from Disney announced it on the stage. Mostly from the kids.
- USA Today: 'Frozen Fever' will warm kids' hearts
- USA Today: Trailer: 'Frozen Fever'
- USA Today: Review: Remake is true 'Cinderella' story
- Coming Soon: Behind the Scenes of Disney’s Cinderella 2015
- Digital Spy: 5 must-watch March cinema releases: Chappie, Insurgent, Cinderella
- Hollywood Reporter: 'Cinderella' Director Kenneth Branagh on Casting His Princess, Working With Marvel and His Dream Shakespeare Film
- Vulture: Sophie McShera on the Downton Abbey Finale, Daisy Finding Love, and Cinderella
She'll play a lawyerNight Moves director Kelly Reichardt does not yet have a title for her new drama. But she has still been building an impressive cast of previous collaborators and new faces, with Michelle Williams, Jared Harris, Laura Dern, James Le Gros and Sara Rodier all aboard. Now Kristen Stewart will join them in the eventual film.For this one, Reichardt is headed to the wide-open plains of Montana, and the small towns that dot the expansive countryside.
- Variety: Kristen Stewart Joins Kelly Reichardt’s Montana Drama
- Digital Spy: Kristen Stewart Joins Laura Dern in untitled Kelly Reichardt drama
- The Wrap: Kristen Stewart to Play a Lawyer-Turned-Teacher in Kelly Reichardt’s New Drama
- The Playlist: Kristen Stewart Joins Kelly Reichardt’s Untitled Montana Drama With Michelle Williams & More
- HitFix: Kristen Stewart continues her own path with new Kelly Reichardt film
- Cinema Blend: Kristen Stewart Joins Michelle Williams In Small Town Drama
- MTV Movies Blog: Kristen Stewart Joins Untitled Indie Drama With Michelle Williams And Laura Dern
Shannon Lee is honoring her late father in a big way by announcing a biopic of kung fu and movie star legend “Bruce Lee.”There are countless stories and biopics about Lee, but Sharon Lee believes this film will capture more of the “philosophy, extensive writings and entire life history, as well as his skill as a martial artist, which is the goal of this latest development effort.”Other films or projects didn’t have much input or official authorization from the Bruce Lee estate or Bruce Lee Entertainment.Another project in the works from producer Bill Block are moving for
- Dark Horizons: Another Bruce Lee Biopic Is Coming
- Cinema Blend: An Official Bruce Lee Biopic Is In The Works, Get The Details
- Film School Rejects: New Bruce Lee Biopic in the Works
- JoBlo: A Bruce Lee biopic is on the way with the Lee family's involvement
- MovieWeb: Bruce Lee Biopic Being Developed by His Family
- ScreenRant: Movie News Wrap Up: A New Bruce Lee Biopic, ‘Kung Fu Panda 3,’ ‘Pee-wee Herman’ Movie & More
Game of Thrones has released two teasers for the upcoming fifth season. Both of them are keeping with the Raven Sight theme they used previously… so the videos are a little blurry and off. The first, The Sight: Brienne and Podrick has Brienne explaining she never wanted to lead but to find someone worthy to follow. While the second, The Sight: Jon Snow and Mance shows Jon Snow trying to get Mance back into the game. Game of Thrones Season 5 starts April 12th on HBO. Click here to view the embedded video. Click here to view the embedded video. Two Teasers For Game Of Thrones Season 5
- Dark Horizons: "Game of Thrones" S5 Clips, Official Poster
- AintItCool: GAME OF THRONES!! MAD MEN!! COMMUNITY!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! IZOMBIE!! DAREDEVIL!!
- Comic Book Movie: 'Tyrion' Stares Down A Dragon On Awesome GAME OF THRONES Season 5 Poster
- JoBlo: Tease yourself with two Game of Thrones clips from season 5 and a new poster
- Film School Rejects: This Game of Thrones Season 5 Poster is a Monster
- SlashFilm: See New ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Poster and Clips
Michelle Rodriguez is clarifying her comments about minorities playing traditionally white superhero characters. Hours after “The Fast and the Furious” actress slammed Hollywood for casting actors of color in roles originally conceived as white, she issued an apology. “I stuck my foot in my mouth once again,” Rodriguez said in a video posted on her Facebook page. “I have a tendency to speak without a filter, sorry about that.” Also Read: Michael B.
- Vulture: Michelle Rodriguez Says She Wants ‘Minorities’ to ‘Stop Stealing’ Superhero Roles From White People, Then Apologizes [Updated]
- MovieWeb: 'Green Lantern': Michelle Rodriguez Apologizes for Controversial Comments
- Hollywood Reporter: Michelle Rodriguez: Minority Actors Should "Stop Stealing" White Superheroes
- Digital Spy: Michelle Rodriguez speaks out about racial recasting of superheroes
- Cinema Blend: Why Michelle Rodriguez Wants No Part As Rumored Female Green Lantern
- Comic Book Movie: UPDATE: Michelle Rodriguez Addresses "Rumors" She'll Play JUSTICE LEAGUE's 'Green Lantern'
Jennifer Lawrence wrote a rare Facebook post dismissing rumors that she's feuding with her "Joy" director David O'Russell.
- Hollywood Reporter: Jennifer Lawrence: "David O. Russell Is One of My Closest Friends"
- Digital Spy: Jennifer Lawrence denies David O Russell feud: "I adore this man"
- The Wrap: Jennifer Lawrence Denies Bad Blood With David O. Russell on Set of ‘Joy’
- Entertainment Weekly: Jennifer Lawrence vs. 'tabloid malarkey'
- HitFix: 10 Stories You Might Have Missed: Jennifer Lawrence, David O. Russell clear air
A few weeks back, Zack Snyder revealed our first look at Jason Momoa as Aquaman, who will make his big screen debut in Batman vs. Superman—along with a few other notable DC heroes. With all the casting info and plot details we’ve learned over the last year, that film seems like it should be about three hours long when all is said and done. No stranger to speaking out about his role as Aquaman, Momoa has once again opened up about the upcoming film, revealing just how big his part is, as well as his surprise when Snyder tweeted that photo. Continue reading…
Indominus Rex isn't the only big, bad beast roaming the wilds of Jurassic World. As with any theme park, this unique tourist location needs to keep visitors coming back year after year. And what better way to do that than with the introduction of new dinosaurs? The Jurassic World Viral Site has been updated, and they have introduced 7 more giant monstrosities from the B.C. Era.Included in this latest batch of images is Suchomimus, Baryonyx, Dimorphodon, Pteranodon, Edmontosaurus, Metriacanthosaurus, and a pack of Microceratus.
- Coming Soon: A Look at the Dinosaurs of Jurassic World
- Dread Central: Jurassic World! New Look at the Dinosaurs
- Cinema Blend: Jurassic World Will Feature These 18 Dinosaurs
- Comic Book Movie: New Dinosaur Designs Revealed On Official JURASSIC WORLD Website
Neill Blomkamp sure is talking about every other Blomkamp project except Chappie, his new film hitting theaters next week. Mostly, he’s been talking about his plans for a new Alien movie, officially in development at Fox, and in between all of that Alien talk, he’s also admitted his errors with Elysium. It’s been a busy week for Blomkamp, who implied that his Alien project would ignore Alien 3 and Resurrection, the sequels to James Cameron’s more beloved original films.
- Variety: New ‘Alien’ Won’t Undo ‘Alien 3′ or ‘Resurrection,’ Director Neill Blomkamp Says
- Horror-Movies.ca: Blomkamp Says He Won’t Undo ‘Alien 3′ and ‘Resurrection’
- Shockya: Interview: Joe Reegan Talks Alien Outpost (Exclusive)
- Cinema Blend: Will Alien 5 Bring Back Michael Biehn? Here's What He Said
Could he be the boyfriend from hell?John Hamburg knows a little something about comedies where parents disapprove of their spawn’s dating choices – he wrote all three of the Meet The Parents films. He’s dipping into that well again for a new movie, called Why Him? and he has James Franco in talks to star.The script, which Hamburg co-wrote with Bad Neighbours director Nick Stoller and The Oranges writer Ian Helfer, finds a Midwestern father taking his family to visit his daughter, who is attending Stanford.
Following legal disputes and outcry from fans (including original Green Ranger Jason David Frank), producer Adi Shankar's controversial Power Rangers fan film is back on YouTube and Vimeo. According to Deadline, the gritty Power Rangers fan film is back online with the following disclaimer from Shankar: “Deboot of the Power Rangers. My take on the FAN FILM. Not a pilot, not a series, not for profit, strictly for exhibition. This is a bootleg experiment not affiliated or endorsed by Saban Entertainment or Lionsgate nor is it selling any product.
- Deadline: Power Rangers Bootleg Fan Film Returns To YouTube, Vimeo
- Digital Spy: Power Rangers 'fan fiction' reboot back on YouTube
- MovieWeb: 'Power Rangers' Fan Film Returns After Copyright Dispute
- Comic Book Movie: EDITORIAL: Can The POWER RANGERS Reboot Actually Work?
Today in “things you didn’t know you needed”: A remake of Brewster’s Millions is currently in development, based on the 1902 novel that’s previously been adapted 10 times. And today in “things you were totally not aware of”: There have been 10 adaptations of Brewster’s Millions. The latest will be helmed by Robert Townsend, best known for directing The Five Heartbeats and acclaimed stand-up documentary Eddie Murphy: Raw. Continue reading…
- Entertainment Weekly: Robert Townsend to direct remake of <em>Brewster's Millions</em>
- Dark Horizons: Townsend Helms "Brewster's Millions" Remake
- MovieWeb: 'Brewster's Millions' Lands Director Robert Townsend
You can’t stand in the mud and not expect to get dirty. Jim Gordon knows the corruption in Gotham City is all around and even his desire to clean it up will end up corrupting him in ways. In this behind the scenes clip we see that Commissioner Loeb has collected a treasure trove of material against the cops in Gotham and is more than happy to use it when he needs to.
- Comic Book Movie: Tension Between 'Gordon' And 'Bullock' Teased In New Featurette For GOTHAM
- Comic Book Movie: Jada Pinket-Smith's Fish Mooney Eyeing Escape On GOTHAM [SPOILER]
- Comic Book Movie: Latest GOTHAM Featurette Tackles The Fight Against Corruption In The City
One of the most interesting forms of music sampling is what's known as the "mash-up." In some of the best and most creative examples of this practice - e.g. Danger Mouse's Grey Album (Jay Z's Black Album/Beatles' White Album) or Girl Talk's masterful records - all the disparate pieces of music used greatly benefit from the juxtaposition and re-contextualization.Lawrence Michael Levine performs a similar symbiosis in cinematic terms in his second feature, the delightful comic mystery Wild Canaries, which he wrote, directed, and co-stars in.
Relativity Studios Popular culture is filled with cautionary tales of what happens when overly ambitious scientists play god, and from Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein to Stuart Gordon’s Re-Animator the answer has always been the same — success, immediately followed by violent death for pretty much everyone involved.
Eddie Redmayne is following up his Oscar win for The Theory of Everything with another biopic. The Danish Girl stars Redmayne as Lili Elbe, an early 20th century painter who became one of the first people to undergo gender reassignment surgery.
David Cronenberg is considered the master of body horror. He films a lot of orifices, cavities, and diseased flesh. He had bodies fall apart, or be taken apart, in The Fly, Scanners, Dead Ringers, The Brood, etc. Body horror is a label that’s been affixed to him like a skin graft. But now that he’s been a filmmaker for 30 years, if you step back and take a broader view from his gaping body holes, you’ll see that his interest in the body is mostly about how the mind ruins it—because it’s always seeking more.
• Launching directly out of Guardians of the Galaxy comes the new ongoing series bringing the Guardians to the Marvel Universe's grandest stage for an opening arc of out-of-this-world adventures with some of the biggest hitters Marvel has to offer. • Kicking off with a cosmic threat so massive, it'll take more than just the Guardians of the Galaxy to stop it!
- Hollywood Reporter: Why the 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Poster Looks So Familiar
- Latino Review: New Character Posters For 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- Comic Book Movie: Chris Hemsworth Dishes On 'Thor' Dream Scenes, Fights And More In AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
It’s very super.Former television’s Superman, Dean Cain, and former movie’s Supergirl, Helen Slater, will join CBS’ television show “Supergirl.”The veteran actors are cast in top-secret roles, according to Variety.Slater once played Kara/Supergirl in the 1984 movie “Supergirl.” The new television show’s Supergirl will be played by Melissa Benoist. Cain did play Superman/Clark Kent for several seasons in ABC’s “Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.”It will not be the first time for both actors to play different characters in a superhero-related project.
- Dark Horizons: Helen Slater, Dean Cain Join CBS' "Supergirl"
- Film School Rejects: Original Supergirl Star Helen Slater is Given a Second Chance With the Character
- Latino Review: Chyler Leigh and David Harewood Join Cast of ‘Supergirl’ TV Show
Some spoilers follow. The end times, they are a-coming -- this Sunday, actually, when Will Forte’s great new FOX comedy The Last Man on Earth debuts. And that’s gotten us thinking about all the other last men out there… Will Forte’s The Last Man on Earth Reviewed It’s a genre many of us at IGN love, so let’s break down a few of the other Last Man on Earth movies that are worth checking out.
- We Got This Covered: The Last Man On Earth Season 1 Review
- AintItCool: THE LAST MAN ON EARTH!! Herc Says Its The Funniest Thing On Broadcast TV
Lupita Nyong’o‘s missing Oscar dress appears to have been recovered. The dress was found at the West Hollywood hotel from where it first went missing, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. See photos: Oscars Red Carpet Arrivals (Photos) “They found the dress inside of this black garment bag hidden behind a garbage bag under a counter,” Lt. Michael White said at a press conference Friday evening.
Today at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, smartphone manufacturer HTC announced they were working in partnership with Valve on a VR headset called Vive. The Vive uses Valve's SteamVR tracking technology and pairs with two SteamVR base stations, which track your physical movement in virtual space without having to use a controller. You can, of course, use a controller while wearing the headset. In addition to standard inputs, HTC also announced their own wireless controller that work through hand tracking. Continue reading…
Kanye West and Dame Dash link up to executive produce "Loisaidas."
- Variety: Kanye West Reveals Next Album Title
Fox has a new DC Comics-based series in development, but it’s something very different from the Batman origin story Gotham. Lucifer is based, perhaps loosely, upon the vision of the fallen angel originally seen in Neil Gaiman’s Sandman series, and will follow the Morningstar to Los Angeles, where he helps cops solve crimes.
- Horror-Movies.ca: Tom Ellis Signs on to Star in ‘Lucifer’
There’s a fascinating, if kind of depressing, look at bygone film economics in this recently reposted 2005 conversation with David Cronenberg by the Film Society Of Lincoln Center talking about “A History Of Violence.” The filmmaker, whose latest film, “Maps To The Stars,” hits theaters and VOD this weekend, says that earlier film, distributed by Focus Features, cost $32 million to make and another $30 million to market. Remember those days of prestige-y, mid-sized studio movies?
- Dark Horizons: "Daredevil" Costume Design, Violence Talk
John Green's "Looking For Alaska" has tapped "The Fault in Our Stars" duo Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber to pen the screenplay.
Blade Runner 2: Harrison Ford now confirms he will star in the sequel to 1982's Blade Runner. Ford will reprise his role as replicant hunter Rick Deckard; the story will take place several decades after the events in the original movie. There were whispers Ridley Scott might direct, but filmmakers are in negotiations with Canadian director Denis Villeneuve (Enemy, Prisoners) with production set to begin in the summer of 2016. [Heat Vision] Jurassic World: New photos...Read MoreRead Comments
- Filmonic: Harrison Ford Joins Blade Runner Sequel
By Jason Henderson, Drew Edwards, Tony Salvaggio, and Julia Guzman Bleeding Cool welcomes back The Castle of Horror Podcast tonight, a weekly internet radio show where professional writers in the comics, games and book industries take a look at horror movies, choosing one movie a week to discuss in depth. They say: We’re back with kung fu, wizardry and monsters! This week talk about the amazing original Mr. Vampire, complete with magic-wielding priests, kung-fu-fighting apprentices, hopping vampires and love-struck ghosts. This movie has to be seen to be believed.
Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way production company is developing Robin Hood: Origins, which was written by Joby Harold (Knights of the Round Table). Deadline describes the project as, "a gritty version of the rogue do-gooder Robin Hood." The project isn't set up at a studio quite yet, but there are also two separate competing Robin Hood movies in development at other studios.Disney is developing Nottingham & Hood, written by Brandon Barker, which is described as a revisionist take on the Robin Hood legend.
- Dark Horizons: "Robin Hood" Gets Another Gritty Reboot
February 27 is recognized in the United States as the official Day of Jokes, which is slightly different from April Fool's Day, as it's about punchlines not hilarious pranks. In celebration of this little known holiday, ARC Entertainment already released the trailer for their The Walking Dead spoof The Walking Deceased. Now, Ketchup Entertainment has debuted their Fast and Furious parody Superfast. We hope you're in a really good mood, cause if you're not, you're going to hate this!Superfast follows undercover cop, Lucas White, who joins Vin Serento's LA gang of illegal street racers.
- Coming Soon: Fast & Furious 7 – Behind the Scenes!
In a competitive situation, the Weinstein Company has closed a deal to acquire “The Founder,” which is set to star Michael Keaton as McDonald’s founder Ray Kroc, multiple individuals familiar with the bidding war have told TheWrap. John Lee Hancock will direct from a script by Robert Siegel, and FilmNation is producing with Jeremy Renner and Don Handfield’s company The Combine. Also Read: Michael Keaton Pocketing Planned Oscar Acceptance Speech Goes Viral (Video) Described as being in the vein of “The Social Network” and “There Will Be Blood,” th
Oscar winner J.K. Simmons‘ “Whiplash” character Fletcher meets his match in Muppet drumming prodigy Animal. The two face off in this mash-up by Handface, David Schneider and Andrea Mann for The Huffington Post UK. “When ‘Whiplash’ meets The Muppets, there can be only one question: Was Animal rushing, or was he dragging?” ask the site’s editors. Watch the video above or see it here. Related stories from TheWrap:Kermit the Frog Auditioned for Hulk, Offers 'Guardians of the Galaxy's' Rocket Raccoon Muppets Spot (Video)
Dammit, Jim, Leonard Nimoy is dead. We should have been ready for this. His end, at the age of 83, after a pronounced battle with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseÂ and years of inside Hollywood talk of declining health, was inevitable. It hurts like hell all the same. If only there was a...
- USA Today: Leonard Nimoy's Spock continues to inspire
- Entertainment Weekly: Leonard Nimoy's legacy: A long and prosperous life remembered
China Lion Film Distribution will release the Andy Lau drama Lost And Love in North America, Australia and New Zealand day-and-date with mainland China next month. Tackling the en vogue theme of child abduction, and based on real events, Lost And Love is the story of a desperate father, Lei (Andy Lau), from Hubei province who spends years scouring the country searching for his son, who was abducted as a young boy.
"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." returns for a dynamic, action-packed second half of season two, TUESDAY, MARCH 3 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. After discovering an alien city with ties to his resurrection, Coulson and his team destroyed it before the forces of Hydra could claim its secrets, eliminating the villainous Whitehall (Reed Diamond) in the process.
By Rich Epstein This week’s Arrow opens with Ra’s al Ghul (Matt Nable) soaking in the tub (Lazarus Pit?) In walks Nyssa al Ghul (Katrina Law) with news that Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) is still alive. Ra’s knows, in fact, he knows that Oliver did not kill Sara. Nyssa thinks that Ra’s isn’t so keen to go after Sara’s killer because he disapproved of their relationship. He tells Nyssa that he did disapprove, because he knew Sara would eventually leave them, he knew that she would leave Nyssa, not for any other reason. Well, good to know the League of Assassins is progressive about such things.
- Mania: Arrow: Nanda Parba Review
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Episode 1 came out this week to promising reception. Pair that with the successes of the Resident Evil HD remake and I hope it leads Capcom to pay attention to the interest in more classical survival horror. Episode 2 is just around the corner mind and to get people excited, Capcom release this 40 second teaser trailer. If you haven’t played the first one, it obviously contains minor spoilers. Click here to view the embedded video. Waiting On The Next Episode Of Resident Evil: Revelations 2? This Teaser Should Help
- We Got This Covered: Resident Evil: Revelations 2 – Episode 1 Review
“Marvel’s Daredevil” is a live action series that follows the journey of attorney Matt Murdock, who in a tragic accident was blinded as a boy but imbued with extraordinary senses. Murdock sets up practice in his old neighborhood of Hell’s Kitchen, New York where he now fights against injustice as a respected lawyer by day and masked vigilante at night. Starring Charlie Cox, Vincent D’Onofrio, Deborah Ann Woll, Elden Henson, and more, Daredevil will premiere on Netflix on April 10th. What do you guys think about this latest look at the character?
A new Red Sonja film has been in the works for quite some time now. It once had Robert Rodriguez (Sin City) attached to direct as a potential vehicle for his then-girlfriend Rose McGowan. At another point writer / director Doug Aarniokoski was working on it… but the project set up with Nu Image / Millennium Films just hasn’t moved forward much. Word now is that Christopher Cosmos has been brought on as screenwriter. Cosmos is a former VP of the managment-production company Benderspink who left to pursue screenwriting.
- IGN Movies: The Red Sonja Movie Reboot Is Still Alive
Hey, Toronto! Twitch is proud to present Dancing With The Devil - an extensive retrospective of Spanish maverick Alex de la Iglesia unspooling at the TIFF Bell Lightbox. Things continue this week with a March 3rd screening of his A Ferpect Crime and we want to give you tickets!TRafael (Guillermo Toledo) is the top clerk in a major metropolitan department store, where he has his pick of the female staff and clientele and his eye on a plum promotion.
For the fans who think the best part of a James Bond film are the awesome cars and the chases… seems there will be a chase in Spectre between Bond’s ride of choice an Aston Martin DB10 and a Jaguar C-X75. Footage of the scene being filmed has hit the internet and we have a few of them here. Spectre is currently filming in Rome.
- Latino Review: Set Videos of Car Chases in Rome for ‘SPECTRE’
I’ve stopped myself putting too much time into Kerbal Space Program, because frankly, I’d get nothing done. When I first started playing, I thought about 45 minutes had past before realising it was closer to four hours. The spaceship building physics game is addictive as all hell and I’ve had to drag myself more than a few times. For super fans who have the time to build spaceships to their heart’s content, this new bit of promotion is pretty cool. If you head over to Eucl3D, you can now get your own creations 3D printed.
"Would you like to push me up the street?" Today's trailer selection is for an adaptation of a play about an elderly woman named Mary Shepherd who lived in a battered car on the driveway of the writer Alan Bennett for 15 years. Oscar winning actress Maggie Smith plays Miss Shepherd, a character she has played before on stage and on the radio, and she looks like quite a hoot. She's joined by Alex Jennings as Alan Bennett, with appearances by Dominic Cooper, James Corden, Jim Broadbent, Frances de la Tour and a few others.
The most moving moment at the Oscars this year was not visible on television. It wasn’t backstage either, or on the red carpet, or in the wings, though there were lots of moments of deep and authentic emotion in all those places. No, the most moving moment at the Oscars happened in the lobby outside the Dolby Theatre. Also Read: 23 Best & Worst Oscars Moments of 2015 (Photos) I don’t have a picture, it would have been rude. So you’ll just have to imagine the scene: An elderly couple – in their late 70s, I would guess – both tiny, just a little over 5 feet tall each.
1. FocusGross: $19,100,000Total: $19,100,000
Gross: $11,750,000Total: $85,695,747
3. Spongebob Squarepants: Sponge Out Of WatGross: $11,200,000Total: $140,322,050
Gross: $10,927,090Total: $147,763,680
5. Lazarus Effect, TheGross: $10,600,000Total: $10,600,000